• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the vass budapester full brogue, you like it or not like it

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me it is quite clear that whoever writes under the name of Son of Saphir is actually quite capable of speaking and writing proper English. It's all just a very effective stylistic rouse. And one I generally find amusing.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The wing tip design on a Hungarian Budapester style raised toe box last is a very comfortable shoe.

it does not look modern like a Vass F, or G&G TG73, with a sleek rounded toe or a squared and chiseled toe

But when you see it in person...its intriguing

When you put it one...its roomy, comfortably wide, and just feels right (especially with my high instep)

I'm glad I took the gamble and made a monk strap version in both the wing tips (budapester) and the alt wein (semi-brogue) design on the budapester last.

It opened my horizons to quality Hungarian made craftsmanship and to the beauty of Freudenberg box calf leather

DHAltweinmonk1.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

Last edited:

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful leather on the Oxblood pair. Wear them well!

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Everyone should keep this in mind! Looking at shoes online is far different than having them in your hand or on your foot. Some really beautiful shoes don't photograph well and some really ugly shoes photograph beautifully, IMO.

+ A gazillion.

The Budapest last really doesn't look that clunky in real life. Sure it's bigger and more structured than EG 888 or Vass F last, but that's part of the appeal. It's different and should be. Until I saw it in person I never would have thought to use the word elegance and Budapest Last in the same sentence, but it does have some of that in its own charming way. I highly recommend it. For different photos in a different model than the one above check out the boots in my For Sale thread linked below. I can't wait to get them again in the proper size for me.

Last edited:

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice if you are like 60 years old! I prefer the Vass U last models.

No it's not nice at 60 years old! The Vass U-last is nice at 60 years old.

Last edited:

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Stitched_002-1.jpg

i've always fancied these

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The wing tip design on a Hungarian Budapester style raised toe box last is a very comfortable shoe.
it does not look modern like a Vass F, or G&G TG73, with a sleek rounded toe or a squared and chiseled toe
But when you see it in person...its intriguing
When you put it one...its roomy, comfortably wide, and just feels right (especially with my high instep)
I'm glad I took the gamble and made a monk strap version in both the wing tips (budapester) and the alt wein (semi-brogue) design on the budapester last.
It opened my horizons to quality Hungarian made craftsmanship and to the beauty of Freudenberg box calf leather
DHAltweinmonk1.jpg

^ Now that is one stunning monkstrap :inlove:

Back to the originating post,..

I like it fine but that monkstrap beats it.
What I really like more than that Vass was the bespoke Budapester that our own MarcelHun (Koronya) shared with us awhile back

^These are hands down, the most beautiful pair of Wingtip Budapsters I have seen yet and would take these over the Vass any day.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

and the alt wein (semi-brogue) design on the budapester last.

sorry for derailing your informative and friendly post. the spelling is wrong. this can be misleading for potential buyers, when they try to order.

it's Alt Wien which derives from Vienna and not from wine.

both designs - budapester and alt wien, not to forget the Wiener(quarter brogue), are coming out of the friendly rivalery between these two capitals of shoemaking.

in the meantime you can order these designs on various lasts, while vass makes the authentic versions on their budapester and 3636 last.

glad that we share the same love for this craftmanship.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I like this by kolecho the most.

while these are nice, the longwing version is a modern variation of the authentic budapester design. actually on this particular picture the toe box seems to be not as distinct(shark mouth) as normal, anyway.

Moss

Reaction score
I like them - a distinctly Central European style. I would not criticize Budapesters for lacking sleekness no more than I would a pair of Alden Longwings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads