• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any shirt brands besides Spier and Mackay that allow you to select sleeve length in addition to collar/fit? Perhaps there's a more appropriate thread for this but I couldn't find it...
Not sure if you meant just Canadian brands but Charles Tyrwhitt and Brooks Brothers also have the options

jl9377

Reaction score
Same here, in other words, they couldn't care less.
It's because most Mr. Porter stuff comes from the US for Canada, so even if it's a CETA origin it doesn't apply to the trade agreement. Pretty much only worth buying from Porter if you're buying North American made goods to avoid duties.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any shirt brands besides Spier and Mackay that allow you to select sleeve length in addition to collar/fit? Perhaps there's a more appropriate thread for this but I couldn't find it...

Two questions: 1) Do you care about it being in North America? 2) How much are you willing to spend per shirt?

themasao

Reaction score
Two questions: 1) Do you care about it being in North America? 2) How much are you willing to spend per shirt?

Good questions: 1) Preferably, duties @ 18% is a bit hard to swallow.
2) It depends on quality, I'm willing to pay up to $200 CAD if the quality matches, but something in the $85-$150CAD range, provided the quality isn't *terrible* would be my preference. Many of the S&M shirts are offered at $50USD and I don't find the quality to be too bad so it's hard to justify paying over $150 unless it really knocks my socks off.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good questions: 1) Preferably, duties @ 18% is a bit hard to swallow.
2) It depends on quality, I'm willing to pay up to $200 CAD if the quality matches, but something in the $85-$150CAD range, provided the quality isn't *terrible* would be my preference. Many of the S&M shirts are offered at $50USD and I don't find the quality to be too bad so it's hard to justify paying over $150 unless it really knocks my socks off.

I'm probably not going to be helpful then, sorry.

CloudLi

Reaction score
A question about furniture, because probably lots of you guys own high end furniture. Based on my reading from myfurnitureforum, best sofas are from famous brands, but best wood casing furnitures (dining table, chairs) are benchmade, like one man garage/backyard shop. Does anyone know such a local guy with impeccable craftsmanship that can make custom dining table and other wood furnitures? Looking at 3-5k a dining table, and many other things

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What brands of selvedge jeans do you gents wear? I only have 1 pair of John Varvatos, and recently rolled the dice on 2 pair of Gustin for great prices.

Would love to buy Canadian made, or from a local store. Would prefer to keep under $200, but will consider more if a member here highly recommends the brand.

All of my other jeans (non selvedge) are 34 waist. I have a dad bod tummy, perky butt, and slim thighs and very slim below knees.

goatamous II

Reaction score
The go-to Canadian denim is Naked & Famous
You can find them at Nordstrom Rack or online for pretty cheap. Their retail is kinda high, IMO

Gustin is a good pick up

While they're not the best quality wise, uniqlo selvedge is pretty decent for the price point.

I could recommend a bunch of Japanese brands, but you're looking at $300+ for those.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The go-to Canadian denim is Naked & Famous
You can find them at Nordstrom Rack or online for pretty cheap. Their retail is kinda high, IMO

Gustin is a good pick up

While they're not the best quality wise, uniqlo selvedge is pretty decent for the price point.

I could recommend a bunch of Japanese brands, but you're looking at $300+ for those.

Thanks, I've looked at NF, but will be open to other brands as well. Might hit you up for the Japanese brands if these other ones don't work out.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What brands of selvedge jeans do you gents wear? I only have 1 pair of John Varvatos, and recently rolled the dice on 2 pair of Gustin for great prices.

Would love to buy Canadian made, or from a local store. Would prefer to keep under $200, but will consider more if a member here highly recommends the brand.

All of my other jeans (non selvedge) are 34 waist. I have a dad bod tummy, perky butt, and slim thighs and very slim below knees.

Honestly, you might quite like the Gap's straight fit in size 34, the ones with the Kaihara selvedge.

They are shrink to fit, be warned, but a 34 will work.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
If you've looking for Canadian then like @goatamous II mentioned, N&F is probably the way to go. Based in Montreal, their jeans are sewned here in Canada with imported Japanese denim. They also have another brand called Unbranded, which is a good entry level denim. They strip off everything, like no leather patch, unmarked rivets, and just focus strictly on the denim.

Uniqlo raw denim is also another place to check out for something very affordable, although their denim is not made in Canada.

I'm a big fan of Japanese raw denim. They do cost a lot more, upwards of $300 but there's something special about them. Personally love Momotaro, Oni and Samurai (my next purchase will be a pair of sammy).

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Via Piana custom Denim is a local brand in Toronto, Ben will measure you and you can pick the fabric/ design/ pattern and everything.

It's at the 300+ range but worth to check his website out.
Honestly, you might quite like the Gap's straight fit in size 34, the ones with the Kaihara selvedge.

They are shrink to fit, be warned, but a 34 will work.
If you've looking for Canadian then like @goatamous II mentioned, N&F is probably the way to go. Based in Montreal, their jeans are sewned here in Canada with imported Japanese denim. They also have another brand called Unbranded, which is a good entry level denim. They strip off everything, like no leather patch, unmarked rivets, and just focus strictly on the denim.

Uniqlo raw denim is also another place to check out for something very affordable, although their denim is not made in Canada.

I'm a big fan of Japanese raw denim. They do cost a lot more, upwards of $300 but there's something special about them. Personally love Momotaro, Oni and Samurai (my next purchase will be a pair of sammy).

Thanks for all of the great recommendations.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I think the trickiest part of denim is nailing down the fit. I would suggest going for sanforized denim, meaning that most of the shrink has already been taken out.

Like with most clothing item, the tag size doesn't mean much. Really pay attention to the measurements provided as its harder to "tailor" denim than say a pair of dress trousers. When i bought my Momotaro and Onis, I was fortunate to have been in Tokyo and was able to try them on in person. Can't even remember how many pairs of W33/34 i tried on before finding a pair that fit right.

The last thing to take into consideration is getting them hemmed. Most raw denim will come with a chained stitched hem but with a super long inseam (i believe default N&F is 36'). Most places offer hemming with a chain stitch but then that means no returns. I think there's a few local places in Toronto that offer it, i think Dutil might be one of them. somethign to keep in mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads