• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what method you use to figure out well-fitting shoes online, if you don't mind sharing. Do you limit yourself to specific makers and lasts that you know will work from previous experience?

Maybe it's just a matter of people whose foot dimensions are closer to standard being able to find shoes more easily. I don't think mine are very extreme in any way (though I do have a fairly broad foot), and yet, in all of my experience, for the vast majority of shoes I'll find that one size is too narrow and the next one too long.

All that said, my standards are very high. I refuse to wear anything that would make me balk at the suggestion of taking a several hours long walk around town.

Buying shoes online is risky, I agree. I have a "difficult feet" (sensitive pinky toe, flat feet, low instep, small heel) to fit, according to Philip from SC and Antonio Meccariello himself. I have purchases more than 15 different brands of shoes online in the past, I had some failed attempt but overall I am happy.

My experience is that it's important know your feet (wide/ slim, high/ low instep, need extra arch support or so on), then ideally you should have a couple pair of shoes already, then you can use that as base to seek for size suggestion. I found Styleforum pretty helpful in this case, especially for brands like CJ/ EG/ JL/ VASS.

Mind that only pay attention to people who have similar feet with you.
Also, if you think certain size fit you in certain brand, try not to buy even half size bigger or smaller just because the price is super good, I had a lot of lessons from this....

dad2bandm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... (A reality check: how many people live in Toronto who are famous outside of Canada? Approximately zero.)...

Just saying that's a patently ridiculous statement.

Drake
Rachel McAdams
Gordon Lightfoot
Megan Markle (before becoming Royalty).etc.

It's not Hollywood. But lots of famous folks.

NycLondon

Reaction score
Realistically, how does Toronto compare to other metropolitan cities of the same rank? By "rank" I don't mean just population, wealth, and economic output, but also -- and more importantly -- the cultural and social preeminence of a city in today's world. In this regard, Toronto is at best barely a second-rank city, which it would be absurd to compare with a first-rank metropolis like New York, or even a strong second-rank one like Chicago. (A reality check: how many people live in Toronto who are famous outside of Canada? Approximately zero.)

When compared with cities that would rank similarly in terms of how important they are as a social, cultural, and business hub for today's world elite, I think Toronto in fact looks quite good when it comes to menswear availability. Because realistically, a proper comparison would be with some relatively prosperous metropolitan area in the U.S. Midwest.

As for prices, are they really so overblown given the weak Canadian dollar? 500 EUR shoes would cost 750 CAD even if you just had to pay for the exchange rate.

Toronto = Philadelphia

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saying that's a patently ridiculous statement.

Drake
Rachel McAdams
Gordon Lightfoot
Megan Markle (before becoming Royalty).etc.

It's not Hollywood. But lots of famous folks.

Second and third I have no idea who they are. Forth I got to know when she was about to become a royalty, I understand she was class C actress.

I'd say at the moment, Jordan Peterson would likely also fit the bill. :crackup:

But, when it comes to CM, it's not about celebs, it's more about culture in the more traditional sense. And that's where Toronto falls short.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second and third I have no idea who they are. Forth I got to know when she was about to become a royalty, I understand she was class C actress.

I'd say at the moment, Jordan Peterson would likely also fit the bill. :crackup:

But, when it comes to CM, it's not about celebs, it's more about culture in the more traditional sense. And that's where Toronto falls short.
can you please explain? Need some examples, else this is just pointless.

gmehra

Reaction score
With respect to my contention that Toronto is a menswear wasteland, I am referring more so to the CM landscape and am comparing to other North American cities of similar size and stature, i.e. NYC, SF, Chicago, etc. When comparing availability of different tailoring and shoe brands, Toronto is way behind. Not to mention the overblown pricing which I understand is partially related to Canada's unfair taxation. Toronto has one EG retailer, no C&J retailers, etc. from the shoe perspective. Few travelling tailors visit and when some have, I'm not sure how the reception has been. It doesn't seem like many tailors are clamouring to visit even though they make regular visits to NYC and Chicago which are a one hour flight away. For a city of 3 million plus people with the GTHA having probably 5 million people, Toronto leaves a lot to be desired compared to other similar cities.
I think you might be overestimating the selection of RTW classic menswear in SF and Chicago, it isn't great, its maybe slightly better than Toronto but not by much. NYC is of course on another level. My guess on more travelling tailors to Chicago/SF vs Toronto is the wealth. Salaries in Toronto are relatively low compared to those cities especially once you factor in the exchange rate.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: I saw a Private White at Nordstrom Rack on Bloor (pretty sure it's the Dessert Jacket) in green, size L or XL for $350ish. I'm surprised they got PW here.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what method you use to figure out well-fitting shoes online, if you don't mind sharing. Do you limit yourself to specific makers and lasts that you know will work from previous experience?

Maybe it's just a matter of people whose foot dimensions are closer to standard being able to find shoes more easily. I don't think mine are very extreme in any way (though I do have a fairly broad foot), and yet, in all of my experience, for the vast majority of shoes I'll find that one size is too narrow and the next one too long.

All that said, my standards are very high. I refuse to wear anything that would make me balk at the suggestion of taking a several hours long walk around town.

Well my feet aren't some universal fit in terms of shape or dimensions. I have a high instep and wide forefoot, so lasts that have low insteps and / or a narrow forefoot won't work for me. It's not rocket science and it's not magic. A bit of trial and error and a bit of homework is all it takes. Your starting point is finding a couple lasts that work for the specifics of your feet and then seeking out similar lasts from other makers. It doesn't take years of sampling dozens upon dozens of shoes to find a decent fit. It really doesn't. The forum is a great resource, as are things like Skoak's comparative fit charts. There's no need to over-complicate something that's fairly simple, or to claim that something that is reasonably attainable requires Everest-level endurance and effort. I probably own / have owned well fitting shoes from a dozen or more different manufacturers. No magic involved whatsoever.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well my feet aren't some universal fit in terms of shape or dimensions. I have a high instep and wide forefoot, so lasts that have low insteps and / or a narrow forefoot won't work for me. It's not rocket science and it's not magic. A bit of trial and error and a bit of homework is all it takes. Your starting point is finding a couple lasts that work for the specifics of your feet and then seeking out similar lasts from other makers. It doesn't take years of sampling dozens upon dozens of shoes to find a decent fit. It really doesn't. The forum is a great resource, as are things like Skoak's comparative fit charts. There's no need to over-complicate something that's fairly simple, or to claim that something that is reasonably attainable requires Everest-level endurance and effort. I probably own / have owned well fitting shoes from a dozen or more different manufacturers. No magic involved whatsoever.

I have to agree with @RogerP .

I buy mostly used or vintage shoes. I need wider fit to accommodate my orthotics.

I will only buy shoes with Goodyear welt construction as I find the support to be better. I also try to find US/Canadian made footwear. The English brands are great but harder to find used.

I read a lot on lasts and ask guys on this forum for their input. I have wider forefoot, and I have orthotics. Plus my heel is skinny. It’s a challenge but not impossible.

Majority of my collection fits me well. I will never wear anything that is too tight or even pinching.

If the shoes run a tad long or wide, I have a trick where I cut insoles in half. I then only use top half of insole. It works for most of my shoes that are not perfect fit.

Also, go see Ivor Woolridge for a proper foot measurement. He’s also a nice guy to chat with.

borbor

Reaction score
where does one get shoecare products locally for suede shoes (cleaner, brushes, etc)

in my haste ordering from skoak, left out all that stuff :/

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still don't get your point. Maybe Toronto doesn't have a C&J retailer but is that a blocker which prevents you to own them? Maybe you need to be more savvy with sourcing these items and using proxy services to acquire things which you really want. There are many ways around the issue :cool2:

Like are you seriously ready to drop thousands of dollars but the lack of retailers is stopping you? Not being funny, serious question!

Maybe he doesn't travel much? I've bought many pairs of shoes at B&M when I travel.

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
upload_2019-5-28_13-31-19.png

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pop up on Bloor has more markdowns. Everything is 50% off, + an additional 20% off (so 60% off in total).

Pricing getting better, but the most aggressive sales staff I’ve dealt with in a while.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, will have an update on the Toronto Custom thread this week. Had some pieces made at Harry that came out very well.

Custom Canali, and Samuelsohn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics