• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The time i knew i wasn't stylish

TheMichael

Reaction score
I thought it might be fun to toss out some instances of finding
oneself 'out of style'.

I still remember -- age 16 National Academic Conference
for Marketing (Decca) -- I forgot (didn't know) to cut the
thread attatching both sides of my 1980's era split-back sport coat. I walked around with the split-back attatched by a thread for an hour. No doubt I was the source of humor to the style-conscious in attendance.

Then there was the time I showed up in europe in the 90's with white sneakers and a shiney jacket.

Anyone else? Ever caught horribly under dressed? or 'out of style'?

theMichael

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, it's getting late and i'm a little bored, so thought i'd submit a reply to this post (since there are no good discussions presently on kiton or borrelli.) in college, i often wore a pair of cutoff jeans, white high-top sneakers, and a black t-shirt with the smiley-face (with bloody bullethole), and thought women really dug it. for special occasions, i wore my several-year-old suit (except that the heavy tweed-like jacket did not quite match the pants...color was just very close). my junior year, someone took me aside to explain that i had better buy some new things, or rethink my dating strategy. maybe that traumatic exp. accounts for my clotheshorse obsessions these days......
smile.gif

nicepants

Reaction score
I've never been stylish. I've never been able to follow fashion. I've followed a few trends over the years but for the most part I've never been daring or taken a chance on expressing myself through clothes. Recently I had to move to a smaller place and so I was going through my wardrobe deciding on items to give to Goodwill when I came to the realization that I was 25 years old and had for all of my life purchased clothes from maybe 4-5 main designers. All were mainstream. This was partly because I have been heavy all of my life and only recently began getting my weight under control. I have another problem now that I have a 38 waist and 54 shoulders since I can't find shirts that fit well. Another reason I had never followed fashion was that I was never taught how to dress. So now I'm starting on a new part of my life and am studying everything I can about how to dress well and look good. Wish me luck.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One day in the seventh grade, I wore a yellow and green outfit - a canary yellow Sergio Valente (remember?) button up with lime green pants topped off with a pastel yellow members only style jacket. I think I wore white and green Adidas sneakers with that. I remember that my mom asked me, "And you're going to wear the jacket too?" To her credit, she let me walk out of the house that way.

I wonder if there are any pictures of me floating around? Maybe I made my way onto some poor designer's inspiration board. That could explain the unfortunate appearance of 80's style pastels in recent summer collections. Note to the folks at Jil Sander, especially: it wasn't a good look even the first time around.

Joe G

Reaction score
When I was in the 7th or 8th class, I participated to a tennis tournament in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire. At the time, Agassi was coming onto the scene, and had a huge endorsement with Nike. I went out onto the court in full Agassi Nike dress, from the shoes to the flourescent yellow shorts to the matching T-shirt with the big cloudy tennisball logo.

What was everybody else wearing? White polos, muted shorts. I looked (and felt) like a freak.

On the plus side, it made me play my heart out, because I was determined to have people think I looked stupid for a reason. Alas, there were several other players who manifestly outclassed me, and by the penultimate round, I was history.

(Dad, for the record, was in the West at the time, and couldn't come tell me to take that s**t off. And Mum knew better than to ask me to do so.)

Peace,

JG

Jofaile

Reaction score
I used to wear size Large shirts and 34x32 pants (so I could get the pant cuff size big enough for my tastes at the time, which subsequently lead to my having about two inches of extra pant waist material tucked in folds under my belt). I am a 38L.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just for fun, I decided to revive a REALLY old thread: I remember in Junior High I used to wear a windbreaker with one flourescent yellow arm and one flourescent pink arm. The whole grunge thing in high school when I never shaved , and always wore worn out jean, thrashed t-shirts (not the fashionably worn out kind) and hiking boots. Â At 18-19 my most presentable dress clothes were a nasty old Patrick James silk tweed sportcoat, dockers, a white buttondown and this tie:
pianotie.jpg
People loved that tie. I can't bring myelf to throw it away. Too many memories. The horror..

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I invented the piano-key necktie. What have you done, Derek?. Blue Steel? Magnum? They're the same look. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5th grade, my first communion. (for those who don't know first communion is a catholic sacrament along the lines of baptism, marriage, etc...)

i chose to wear a beige sportcoat, white shirt, yellow tie, and brown pants. i thought i looked great. when i entered the church, i found that all of my comrades were wearing light blue shirts with navy blue pants and ties; every one of them, like it was a uniform no one had told me about.

being that i was about 10 it was terribly embarrasing to stand out like that during the mass. to this day i don't know why or how all those guys knew to dress alike.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol at the piano key tie...zoolander was the best.
as for the topic, one time i wore a cream colored cotton suit to an evening event. ouch.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the time that my sister, (8 years my senior) dressed me up as Little bo Peep's sheep, with see through stockings, and strategically placed cotton balls (synthetic, to boot.) and little else, (she was LBP for her school masquerade) and had me get up on stage in front of a room full of teenage girls and say "baah...baah", count? I didnt know just how "unstylish" and underdressed I was until years later. Â Luckily there are no pictures around and I am now happily married however for a while there I was worried about that. And to top it off... we only won second prize. Â
sad.gif
JJF Great Tie A Harris. Â I could have used something like that back then...(Man, I could have used ANYTHING not transparent)

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just for fun, I decided to revive a REALLY old thread: I remember in Junior High I used to wear a windbreaker with one flourescent yellow arm and one flourescent pink arm. The whole grunge thing in high school when I never shaved , and always wore worn out jean, thrashed t-shirts (not the fashionably worn out kind) and hiking boots. Â At 18-19 my most presentable dress clothes were a nasty old Patrick James silk tweed sportcoat, dockers, a white buttondown and this tie:
pianotie.jpg
People loved that tie. I can't bring myelf to throw it away. Too many memories. The horror..
Uh, even I can't find it in my heart to like that tie
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads