• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

togglebutton

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like suggestions of how a tailor would address the boxy fit. My chest size is 38R. I purchased this topcoat from bonobos in size 40R with the intention of wearing it over full suit jackets. It was on sale so there weren't any other size options. I'm currently wearing a full suit underneath so it appears that the shoulders fit. However, its quite boxy given all the extra material around the waist.

How would this jacket be tailored to give a more modern/slim look?
Whats a rough estimate of the cost to tailor this jacket?

Thanks in advance!! I really appreciate the feedback!!

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell me what you guys think of this:

is that roll at the neck fixable by a competent alterations tailor?

I've had jackets ripple at the rear seam but never buckle to that extent.

Thanks in advance!

Note- the roll at the base of the collar was not enhanced by my twisting to take the photo. It looks similar (maybe a bit smaller) when I stand normally.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi, I'd like suggestions of how a tailor would address the boxy fit. My chest size is 38R. I purchased this topcoat from bonobos in size 40R with the intention of wearing it over full suit jackets. It was on sale so there weren't any other size options. I'm currently wearing a full suit underneath so it appears that the shoulders fit. However, its quite boxy given all the extra material around the waist.

How would this jacket be tailored to give a more modern/slim look?
Whats a rough estimate of the cost to tailor this jacket?

Top/over coats are designed to be worn over a suit. You should have bought a 38R.

DonnyLee

Reaction score
Hi Style Forum,

I would like your opinion on this Canali suit I bought at a discount. Short backdrop: I was browsing through the discount rack, saw this navy herringbone suit from spring '14 selling at 50%. It was the color, pattern and size I want, and the material to me was beautiful. Balancing the matrix of price, material, and fit, with the last almost being checked, I went ahead to buy.

While fit was good, I need a second opinion on it, on whether this is how Canali's fit and on possibilities of further alteration. Particularly:

1. While Italian cut, does the suit seems to be of the boxy sort?
2. I like the slanted look on the shoulders. See sample photo. This suit seems to be more horizontal than slanted. It has padding. Will removing the shoulder padding help achieve that look?
3. Overall, I think waist suppression, sleeve length and jacket length is good. Verify?

I like this look. It could be MTM. But will removing the shoulder padding help?

Thank you great sartorial minds!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoulder padding is not easily reduced. There appears to be something wrong with the shoulders and sleeves, likely due to the former.

Also, the jacket is too tight on the chest, and the cut of the pants might be wrong for the body type..

jaym

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the fit on this jacket? I'm particularly wondering about the shoulders. I feel like they are ever so slightly too large. I am happy with the fit overall, but this little detail is bugging me. That, and the fact that I had a few very good weeks since buying the suit that turned a perfect fit into an ever-so-slightly small fit around my gut. . .

Penfold

Reaction score
^ Looks fine to me. The small collar points of your shirt make the shoulders of the suit appear wider. Suit itself is fine - photos exaggerate every last wrinkle and can make you see problems that just aren't so bad IRL. Enjoy wearing it.

jimmycth

Reaction score
Hi all, any comments to the fit would be appreciated. The dropped right shoulder will be dealt with. Button stance will also be lowered by 1/2" so will the waistcoat.

geoloop

Reaction score
How easy is to get a brooks brothers non iron dress shirt tailored, i tried their dress shirts with "slim" fit and that thing looks like a blanket on me...Cant imagine how a regular fit would look on me... The 15.5' neck one fits me too tight on the chest, i had to go with the 16', which is fine, the neck still looks on point, but the width of the shoulders is a little too big for my taste. so that needs to be fix. The arms are loose so i would need them to get tighter on the biceps/tris and forearms and shortened on length, then waist adjustment.

Are all those changes easy to do for any decent tailor, and cheap? lol

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^ [COLOR=FF00AA]Looks fine to me. The small collar points of your shirt make the shoulders of the suit appear wider.[/COLOR] Suit itself is fine - photos exaggerate every last wrinkle and can make you see problems that just aren't so bad IRL. Enjoy wearing it.

+1

tim145

Reaction score
Can I get a fit check on a MTM Samuelsohn suit from Harry? I've taken it back a couple times for alternations and the sale associate tells me the fit is good but, I'm still not impressed especially for MTM. The shoulders seem off and the pants seem too baggy/too much fabric in the thighs. How do you guys think I should fix this?

John P

Reaction score
I'm hoping you can help me.

conservative business dress - when determining the length & fit of suit/sport coat sleeves, it's my understanding that a bit of the shirt cuff should extend beyond the coat cuff. Say, roughly, between 1/8" and 1/2". Is this correct?

Also, when adjusting the sleeve length of a suit/sport coat, where should the cuff end? My guess is that the cuff should end at the place where the wrist bone is most prominent. I'm guessing that's the correct location such that a well-fitting shirt cuff would then extend between 1/8" and 1/2" beyond the coat cuff.

Please let me know if I'm correct, incorrect (and please correct me), or if I'm just speaking incomprehensible gibberish. Thank you!

Fattorney

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'd appreciate any suggestions for adjustments to my next Modern Tailor shirt. I definitely prefer slim-fit (as form-fitting as possible without being "skin-tight") and am generally pleased with the shirt, but am not thrilled with the twisting/creasing in the upper-arms. I'm considering adding a half-inch to the yoke, armholes, biceps, and possibly sleeve-length. Thoughts? Could a shoulder-slope and/or back adjustment be necessary? They're both currently set for "Average." Other possible adjustments? Thanks in advance!

Thoughts anyone?

togglebutton

Reaction score

Top/over coats are designed to be worn over a suit. You should have bought a 38R.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll keep that in mind for my next topcoat.
As for this coat, is it worth tailor? Seeing that it's unlined, it should be easier to manage tailoring.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads