• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
I am prepared to be incinerated here, considering the challenges I've had with previous suit ventures. But, I'd love some feedback on where to go from here with this Luxire M2M flannel suit. This is a basted home trial so I can make adjustments. I am already corresponding with them on some slight collar gap issues so I'm confident that will be resolved. My initial thoughts are to shorten the sleeves and trouser length. I'd like opinions on the button stance, jacket length and overall fit/proportion suggestions that I can pass along. The shoulders will be natural with no roping when the jacket is finished. The lapels appear to be floating a little bit but I'm not sure how to fix that.

I have added photos from two different heights since proportions can seem different depending on the camera placement. I also added a white dot where the current button stance is marked--this can be changed.

Thank you!

Camera angle 1:
IMG_4869.jpeg IMG_4880.jpeg IMG_4894.jpeg IMG_4903.jpeg

Camera angle 2:
IMG_4925.jpeg IMG_4933.jpeg IMG_4943.jpeg IMG_4953.jpeg IMG_4962.jpeg

Lapels:
IMG_4977.jpeg IMG_4981.jpeg

DL5392

Reaction score
Crossposting from the Classic Menswear thread.

I am normally a 40R. But got this 42Slim from Spier Mckay as i was after a similar colour and short on time. S&M has this for a discount + final sale discount.

When I received it I felt it was a tad too long. My tailor convinced me to shorten it this much (approx 1.5inch I think), and she moved the patch pockets to make it not look weird. However, I do notice the length from the second button to the hem is quite short.

Am I overthinking this? is it salvageable?
Before (B) and After (A) photos are attached.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 120
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 137

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am prepared to be incinerated here, considering the challenges I've had with previous suit ventures. But, I'd love some feedback on where to go from here with this Luxire M2M flannel suit. This is a basted home trial so I can make adjustments. I am already corresponding with them on some slight collar gap issues so I'm confident that will be resolved. My initial thoughts are to shorten the sleeves and trouser length. I'd like opinions on the button stance, jacket length and overall fit/proportion suggestions that I can pass along. The shoulders will be natural with no roping when the jacket is finished. The lapels appear to be floating a little bit but I'm not sure how to fix that.

I have added photos from two different heights since proportions can seem different depending on the camera placement. I also added a white dot where the current button stance is marked--this can be changed.

Thank you!

Camera angle 1:
View attachment 2123891 View attachment 2123893 View attachment 2123895 View attachment 2123897

Camera angle 2:
View attachment 2123899 View attachment 2123901 View attachment 2123903 View attachment 2123905 View attachment 2123907

Lapels:
View attachment 2123909 View attachment 2123911

It looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't shorten the trousers, maybe just a tad the sleeves. My preference would be for a slightly longer jacket and notably wider leg trousers (the hem should cover the shoe for two thirds), but if yours is that, it looks correct.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am normally a 40R. But got this 42Slim from Spier Mckay as i was after a similar colour and short on time. S&M has this for a discount + final sale discount.

When I received it I felt it was a tad too long. My tailor convinced me to shorten it this much (approx 1.5inch I think), and she moved the patch pockets to make it not look weird. However, I do notice the length from the second button to the hem is quite short.

Thanks!

Frankly, I think that the jacket looked better before the alteration. Your remark on the button position is correct. I fear you couldn't do anything to improve that.

OGE1815

Reaction score
Hi all, long time no speak.

Thought I’d quickly update, as I appreciated everyone’s input so much, and remember some were interested to know the resolution.

Due to be taking in the bomber (I posted about a while ago) to another tailor today.

My anatomy was blamed for the bump on my shoulder (image 4). Had an idea this morning to get my girlfriend to put it on. And the bump is still there When she elevates her shoulders slightly or tenses her lats, both of which change shoulder angle from sloped to more squared (more in line with my shoulders).

Will update once I’ve gotten feedback hopefully today.

Attachments

• 1CD8E00C-D36D-42C9-852D-CBA9F7C5683C.jpeg
    1CD8E00C-D36D-42C9-852D-CBA9F7C5683C.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 140
  • BC9D2D38-D6F4-49DC-B516-649A95169A85.jpeg
    BC9D2D38-D6F4-49DC-B516-649A95169A85.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 117
  • 8824642E-9A4B-481D-846E-8E865DF04D4B.jpeg
    8824642E-9A4B-481D-846E-8E865DF04D4B.jpeg
    98.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 06A6343A-3F41-4C8F-8213-BD5CAE66DAE0.jpeg
    06A6343A-3F41-4C8F-8213-BD5CAE66DAE0.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 110

OGE1815

Reaction score

Thank you!

Camera angle 1:
View attachment 2123891 View attachment 2123893 View attachment 2123895 View attachment 2123897

Camera angle 2:
View attachment 2123899 View attachment 2123901 View attachment 2123903 View attachment 2123905 View attachment 2123907

Lapels:
View attachment 2123909 View attachment 2123911
I like it.

In so far as button stance and looking at where your natural waist falls, I think you could get away with lowering it ever so slightly.

For length, looks good head on - from the side you could lower it to cover the seat more, but it’s a minimal difference and I think down to preference.

”lapels floating” - do you mean the lapel roll just above buttoning point?

Peak and Pine

Reaction score

Thanks!
When you go out in public wearing your altered jacket, the other you, the one wearing the original, won't be tagging along so passers by won't be tugging at their chins thinking which one looks better. They'll see just the altered jacket. Which looks terrific. The tailor did a great job moving the pockets and particularly recreating the arc at the bottom of the openings. That the bottom button no longer falls in line with the pocket top means little, many often do, but it's happenstance, not done for aesthetic reasons.

Due to absence of cash in younger days I was forced to figure out how to alter my own stuff, jackets in particular. Once the fit part was down, I moved on to style, like what you just had done. And no regrets. No thrown tomatoes. Sometimes an occasional thumbs up.

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
It looks pretty good to me. I wouldn't shorten the trousers, maybe just a tad the sleeves. My preference would be for a slightly longer jacket and notably wider leg trousers (the hem should cover the shoe for two thirds), but if yours is that, it looks correct.
Thank you for the tips. As for "slightly longer jacket," would you say something as minor as 1/4" or more like 1/2" to a full 1"? (bear in mind, I am 5'5" so a little goes a long way)
”lapels floating” - do you mean the lapel roll just above buttoning point?
Ah, I should have been clearer there. The lapels appear to sit slightly away from my chest as opposed to laying flat from collar down to the button.

Last edited:

Numeral

Reaction score
How does this shirt fit, and what alterations do I need? I don't like how much the shirt comes out around the waist and I think the sleeves may be too long. It's already a slim fit shirt but I guess the waist and abdomen area is still too big?

Edit: just noticed I missed a belt loop in the pics lol

Attachments

• IMG_9679.jpeg
    IMG_9679.jpeg
    82.1 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_9666.jpeg
    IMG_9666.jpeg
    65.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_9658.jpeg
    IMG_9658.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long time no speak.

Thought I’d quickly update, as I appreciated everyone’s input so much, and remember some were interested to know the resolution.

Due to be taking in the bomber (I posted about a while ago) to another tailor today.

My anatomy was blamed for the bump on my shoulder (image 4). Had an idea this morning to get my girlfriend to put it on. And the bump is still there When she elevates her shoulders slightly or tenses her lats, both of which change shoulder angle from sloped to more squared (more in line with my shoulders).

Will update once I’ve gotten feedback hopefully today.

I'm sorry for you, they really messed up the work. Moreover, it's scandalous that they refused to improve/correct it, especially at that price.

blewnote1

Reaction score
When you go out in public wearing your altered jacket, the other you, the one wearing the original, won't be tagging along so passers by won't be tugging at their chins thinking which one looks better. They'll see just the altered jacket. Which looks terrific. The tailor did a great job moving the pockets and particularly recreating the arc at the bottom of the openings. That the bottom button no longer falls in line with the pocket top means little, many often do, but it's happenstance, not done for aesthetic reasons.

Due to absence of cash in younger days I was forced to figure out how to alter my own stuff, jackets in particular. Once the fit part was down, I moved on to style, like what you just had done. And no regrets. No thrown tomatoes. Sometimes an occasional thumbs up.
I agree with this. I think that it was fine in the original photo, but no one will ever know you changed it. Except us.

mikealvaa

Reaction score
I’ve had this summer suit for a few years and the pant length is starting to bug me, but maybe I’m wrong.. or just growing up.

I’m considering getting these length of an 1/2-1”.

Some people are telling me it’s fine. Some people are telling me it’s too short. What are you all think? I trust the communities judgment on here.

Attachments

• IMG_1352.jpeg
    IMG_1352.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1354.jpeg
    IMG_1354.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1356.jpeg
    IMG_1356.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1357.jpeg
    IMG_1357.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1352.jpeg
    IMG_1352.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1354.jpeg
    IMG_1354.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1353.jpeg
    IMG_1353.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1356.jpeg
    IMG_1356.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1357.jpeg
    IMG_1357.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 119

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@mikealvaa
try this; unhook the closure at the waist and lower the trouser so the trouser leg rests on the shoe. Does it look better? Do you prefer it?
my opinion is this size of leg opening looks better touching the top of the shoe or with a slight break.
If you make them longer, ask the tailor to make the hem at an angle so the back is longer than the front.

its not unusual for your taste or opinion about fit and styling to change and evolve. Adjusting the length is so easy to do that if you decide later it’s not what you like, the trouser can be shortened again.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How does this shirt fit, and what alterations do I need? I don't like how much the shirt comes out around the waist and I think the sleeves may be too long. It's already a slim fit shirt but I guess the waist and abdomen area is still too big?

Edit: just noticed I missed a belt loop in the pics lol
@Numeral

Shirt can be tapered at the waist. Don’t reduce the lower part of the shirt; below the waist to the hem. If it’s too snug around the hips it causes the shirt to rise up even more. It won’t stay tucked in.
Shirt cuffs look too large and they fall further down on your hand making the sleeves look too long. If they fit more closely the shirt won‘t do that. I like to put one finger under the cuff and feel a bit of pressure from the cuff. If the cuff is loose with one finger between the cuff and your wrist, it’s too big.
Moving the button on the cuff to reduce the size is an easy fix.
if you had the shirt made, you can order new cuffs with a smaller circumference.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zappa