• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

stubbsj20

Reaction score
First difficulty doing this alteration is finding someone who understands what needs to be done and knows how to set sleeves. Sleeves are more difficult than other parts of making a jacket. Sleeves will be removed and put on again in the new position. 3-4 hours of work for a good tailor.
Again, thank you very much for the quick response and guidance!

sjmin209

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for feedback on the fit of these 2 suit jackets (Brooks Bros. Milano & Regent)
(ignore the pants)
mil1.png

mil2.png
reg1.png

reg2.png

papado

Reaction score
Looking for feedback on the fit of these 2 suit jackets (Brooks Bros. Milano & Regent)
(ignore the pants)

I'd argue I like the cleaner chest in the second photo (guessing it is the Regent model) and it'll probably be a better overall fit after you tailor the jacket (take in waist to give shape similar to milano; shorten sleeves to appropriate length).

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

khughes44

Reaction score
This happens with some regular/forward pleat patterns. Forward pleats are difficult to fit well. The way this maker creates the pattern may not be right for you. It's all about the pattern and the drape here is something you cannot change without changing the pattern.
Never heard of a lambswool trouser cloth. There doesn't seem to be much body to this cloth. Cloth appears to be too soft to use for trousers. Would confirm with the maker or whoever makes the cloth. The crease is is lost wherever there is stress on the crease.
Have you tried reverse pleats? They may work with your body type better. This never occurs with reverse pleats.

@khughes44
few more thoughts. Look at pictures of forward/regular pleats and you see variations of where the pleat is placed and meets the waistband. Some pleats are closer to the fly and the pleats drape like ( ). Your trouser the pleats are farther from the fly.
If you are set on having forward pleats you have to find the cut/pattern that works for you.
If you are doing MTM you want to find the maker with a better pattern that works for you.
If you work with a tailor he has to figure out how to draft for your body type.
Some body types aren't compatible with regular pleats.
Excellent, well explained response. Thank you for all the information you provide here.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, have had it done on multiple suits. Can be pricy depending on tailor but I hate belt loops on trousers.
Any idea how much fabric is needed to make them? I just asked the alterationist at my cleaner if I could keep the leftover from the hem and he looked at me like i was crazy. Which, I mean, fair enough...

papado

Reaction score
Any idea how much fabric is needed to make them? I just asked the alterationist at my cleaner if I could keep the leftover from the hem and he looked at me like i was crazy. Which, I mean, fair enough...

My guess would probably be around 2.5-3" of leftover from each leg. I know That's how much I normally have left and it can be a close call but they get them done (I do 2" cuffs so that eats into 4"+ of fabric from the unhemmed length so if you have a somewhat shorter inseam and do plain cuff you should have plenty leftover).

nevaeh

Reaction score
Has anyone tried having side adjusters made from the material leftover after having the hem shortened on an OTR pant?
My tailor in Chicago asked for about 3–4 inches of fabric from each pant leg when I did this two years ago. This probably included a margin for error, as he had some fabric left over when he was done.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
Attached files show a dark green corduroy high rise pants by De Petrillo. I suspect these are too big, and the hems are obviously unfinished. Suggestions?

The pant measurements are measured pursuant to the Luxire Guide Measurement as I plan to buy trousers from Luxire as soon as I acquire a good fit trousers:

[Inches]

Waist16.93
Hip20.87
Front rise12.99
Back rise18.11
Inseam34.65
Outseam46.46
Thigh13.39
Knee9.45
Bottom8.66

Attachments

• IMG_20220205_093014__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20220205_093014__01__01.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20220205_093057__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20220205_093057__01__01.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20220205_093231__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20220205_093231__01__01.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220205_093258__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20220205_093258__01__01.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20220205_093440__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20220205_093440__01__01.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20220205_093521__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20220205_093521__01__01.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 98

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
don't know how helpful this is but a couple observations.
Corduroy isn't a good cloth to use to dial in a fit. It’s actually a terrible cloth to use. You won’t get the drape or feel compared to a mid weight wool. It doesn’t tailor like a wool.
Don't use a super light weight cloth or a heavy cloth for a trial trouser. Both will distort a good analysis of fit. Use a good 10/11 ounce wool.
Some of what looks off in your pictures is directly effected by the use of corduroy. You think the trouser is too big but it is tight in the wrong p/critical places.
Other things are off because the DNA Of the pattern isn’t correct for your body type. Easy way to understand this is by trying on multiple makers of trousers and jackets and seeing they all fit differently. The differences are in the make up of the pattern used to create the silhouette. Best to find a maker with a pattern that only needs an adjustment of the measurements to be comfortable and create the styling you prefer.
These comments are generalizations giving you a point of view of how to approach getting clothes made.
Nothing specific to say about this pair because of the corduroy.
One observation is your right hip is higher than the left. That can be adjusted in the cutting.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
don't know how helpful this is but a couple observations.
Corduroy isn't a good cloth to use to dial in a fit. It’s actually a terrible cloth to use. You won’t get the drape or feel compared to a mid weight wool. It doesn’t tailor like a wool.
Don't use a super light weight cloth or a heavy cloth for a trial trouser. Both will distort a good analysis of fit. Use a good 10/11 ounce wool.
Some of what looks off in your pictures is directly effected by the use of corduroy. You think the trouser is too big but it is tight in the wrong p/critical places.
Other things are off because the DNA Of the pattern isn’t correct for your body type. Easy way to understand this is by trying on multiple makers of trousers and jackets and seeing they all fit differently. The differences are in the make up of the pattern used to create the silhouette. Best to find a maker with a pattern that only needs an adjustment of the measurements to be comfortable and create the styling you prefer.
These comments are generalizations giving you a point of view of how to approach getting clothes made.
Nothing specific to say about this pair because of the corduroy.
One observation is your right hip is higher than the left. That can be adjusted in the cutting.
Much appreciated comments, Despos. Actually, I will return these pants as I bought a pair of wool pants that will arrive next week.

May I ask which places are tight?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads