• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just received my SS tux today and tried it on, please excuse my terrible pictures (I just moved and do not have access to a full length mirror) and the lack of a bowtie, general dirtiness of everything...

My thoughts are I am ok with the fit in general, pants are fine, I can take in the waist a bit at the tailor. But how do all of you feel about the shoulders? Somehow I feel they are peaking/roping slightly? The listed shoulder measurement is larger than I normally wear, but was told this was normal for the Napoli fit. Did the shoulder test against the wall and it is fine, may be too much padding in the shoulder? Any feedback is appreciated, for reference this is a size 36. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yea, doesn't look like the right fit. How are you standing, do you have your chest puffed out/back clenched?

Yeah, seems like your shoulders are pulled way back, though it could just be the photo.

If they are, and if that's your natural stance, I have a hard time imagining much anything short of bespoke is going to fit well.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lensmaster

Reaction score

Bit of a poll question, which I know we have discussed before, but I thought it could have another go round. I plan to wear my Tuxedo for my anniversary dinner in two weeks, even though I might be the only one in a jacket let alone a dinner jacket. It's a special occasion, and deserving of the effort, so why not?

What excuses does everyone else use to put theirs on? Not the reasonable, expected occasions, like weddings, or galas, but the ones you decide to turn into a black tie night, for your own selfish desire to show off your clothes, and yourself looking your best?

And I know some will find the practice gauche, so consider that opinion acknowledged. :p

The local orchestra has five concerts every year and I wear black tie to as many as I can get to. No one else dresses up nearly as nice but I get lots of compliments.

Londonlad

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just received my SS tux today and tried it on, please excuse my terrible pictures (I just moved and do not have access to a full length mirror) and the lack of a bowtie, general dirtiness of everything...

My thoughts are I am ok with the fit in general, pants are fine, I can take in the waist a bit at the tailor. But how do all of you feel about the shoulders? Somehow I feel they are peaking/roping slightly? The listed shoulder measurement is larger than I normally wear, but was told this was normal for the Napoli fit. Did the shoulder test against the wall and it is fine, may be too much padding in the shoulder? Any feedback is appreciated, for reference this is a size 36. Thanks guys!

Hi Dash,

To me, the sleeve length looks good. Always nice to see a decent amount of cuff on show.

However, I would agree with a previous respondent and with your comments, that the shoulders look too broad, for your (slim) body type. I would definitely look at having those altered by a good tailor. I think personally that a little more work may be required by the tailor here, than simply addressing the padding, but I may be wrong.

Good luck!

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Dash,

To me, the sleeve length looks good. Always nice to see a decent amount of cuff on show.

However, I would agree with a previous respondent and with your comments, that the shoulders look too broad, for your (slim) body type. I would definitely look at having those altered by a good tailor. I think personally that a little more work may be required by the tailor here, than simply addressing the padding, but I may be wrong.

Good luck!
WRONG. Don't listen to that..sleeve length is off and needs to be properly adjusted by a tailor.

Either way, that is not the tux for you... Too many things wrong. Shoulders protrude too far, sleeve pitch looks significantly off, lapels are bowing, and waist looks too tight. Especially if your going to be wearing a waist covering. The back has way too much fabric, like everywhere. This is only what we can see in pictures, and we have yet to see your pants drape.

I would look for something more traditional, and have it "tailored" to your slim proportions. You need to find a tux that has the proper shoulders for you, and proper chest size. From there, a tailor can cut the collar if needed, adjust sleeve pitch, and snip the waist.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally picked up finished product, and tried on with the bow tie. I'm still not very skilled at tying a bow tie, however...

Lapels are black grosgrain as is piping on trousers (with satin in the middle maybe?)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodhpur