Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Isn't waltzing more a white-tie thing?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

All I need is four weeks notice :)

3. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

I might, in general, agree with this statement, but given that people in DC are more likely to own black tie rather than white tie - and I'm really understating matters here - the sensible thing to do was to stipulate a black tie dress code. And I don't see why we need to sacrifice the waltzing only because people aren't in white tie.

4. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I don't at all object to people waltzing in black tie. I was just curious.

5. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Interesting that you trace the decline to 1986. Were the Marcoses and their friends fans of black tie?

I'm also surprised that you would pair a barong with satin-striped pants. But there is more to Philippine formal attire than I'd imagined, as I learned from the the dress of former Philippine presidents. Pics of the diversity of their dress posted in this thread.

6. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

So when are the fine gentlemen of the styleforum (DC in particular) going to have a black tie get together/fundraiser I need an an excuse to wear my tux one more time!!!

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Okay, read through this entire thread, Manton's thread, etc.

I'd like to get something OTR, midnight blue, shawl collar, single-button, grosgrain, with U-vest. Any recs? I prefer Italian suits... And, of course, ideally under 1500...

Nothing with those ridiculously slim collars, something ridiculously classic that I'll be wearing for 30 years.

8. musicmax

musicmax Senior member

That's gonna be a tough combo to score OTR unless you want to blow your budget sky-high with the Tom Ford "Quantum of Solace" DJ. You're in NYC - can you wait for WW Chan's next visit in March?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

9. E TF

E TF Senior member

The U vest is at the more formal end of the black tie options, while the shawl collar is at the more relaxed end. Makes for an odd combination IMO. Also visually, you'll have quite a lot of long swooshy shapes all together - the U of the waistcoat contrasts better with the pointiness of peak lapels. So for uber classicness I'd go with a cummerbund with shawl collar, or u waistcoat with peak lapels.

10. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Fair point - I could see it turning into too much swoopiness. I think I prefer a waistcoat over a cummerbund more than I prefer a shawl over peaks...

11. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I could just wait - I have an inexpensive tux with notch lapels that I have always hated that I can use to get through the holiday season... Just finally tired of making do even though I rarely use it.

12. sftiger

sftiger Senior member

Does anyone have any idea where to get one of these U-shaped vests OTR? I'd love to buy one if possible but I don't think I've ever seen them for sale around NYC, although to be honest I haven't looked that hard.

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Counting New Year's Eve, I think I will be at under five for black-tie for the calendar year.

14. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

The few I've seen have been part of a three-piece tuxedo and done in the same wool as the rest of the suit. The only vests I've seen sold as add-ons are some kind of satin and somehow I don't see this looking as good as a satin piece.

15. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I go to the opera here at least twice or thrice a year, and I usually wear my dinner jacket (SB, peak lapels). I have a vintage Pierre Cardin that I scored off eBay for €20 that miraculously fit me like a glove wiithout any alterations at all. Of course, I'm fussy, so I had the sleeves trimmed and shortened and the waist suppressed a tad. Mind you, I could try on 50 jackets my size at a shop, and if I'm lucky, two might fit me correctly. The fact that this eBay bargain fit me so well must have been destiny. :slayer:

If I want to get super dressed up, but not go "all the way" with the dinner jacket, then I'll swap it out for my velvet tourmaline jacket and keep everything else the same: tux trousers, black barathea bow tie, vest or cummerbund.

Neither outfit ever fails to elicit compliments.