1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Nov 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I think the fact that men's magazines have had quite a few sections devoted to Black Tie the last couple of years combijed with the spate of Bond movies recently is starting to make it more acceptable. Dinner jackets are ever increasingly to be found on billboards and bus stop advert, which is leading more men to enquiring about them and even wearing them. Perhaps also the latest Bond incarnation is lending some toughness and roughness to the tuxedo, diminishing the erroneous perception that they are strictly for poncy, feminine dandies?

2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Dr. Jones might disagree with you...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Back in the 30s, when the film took place, I feel as though men were just so much more accustomed to three-piece suits in general and therefore vests would always make an appearance.

4. recondite

recondite Senior member

If it's on the silver screen, it must be true. =:-/

Hollywood would never mislead anyone or co-market someone's merchandise or ideas. right?

One day maybe more than a handful will realize that entertainment is a poor source of truth. Most especially entertainment by forms of art, which by definition is a political statement or expression of the world view of the artist who is seeking for the artistic expression of their statement, the approval of an audience, even if it is an audience of one.

5. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Senior member

Thank you for your responses. My client is getting the white dinner jacket for a summer wedding. He also wants a "fun" jacket to wear after the ceremony when he is dancing at the wedding. I think it is a cool idea, but what the f**k is he looking for? anyone have an idea that wouldn't look completely ridiculous? thanks...

6. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Ugh, like...this kind of...fun?

[​IMG]

7. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Yes, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, that famous 1980s film revered for its unparalleled historically accurate depiction of the 1930s.

8. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

I would rather trust these:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

History-Schmistory.....I think Harrison Ford looks very slick in that look.

10. bigtimebuck4

Bingo! Thats exactly what he wants...

11. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Yes, because he's Harrison Ford, and it's a movie. He's playing a character that's supposed to be an iconoclast... who is supposed to stand out and be the center of attention in an era where everyone around him was dressed well. To put an outfit like that together would require very high end components and a perfect eye to not look like a shitty high school prom rental. A guy wearing a white DJ in this day and age is going to stand out no matter what, so you might as well just keep it conservative and play by the rules.

I mean, there are plenty of times a see a photo of someone and think, "that's looks great", but then think twice.... "it looks great on that person in that situation, who had a small army of professional stylists and makeup artists attending to him, but probably would not work as well on me at XXX's wedding reception (or whatever)."

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Have you seen tutee's AA/Esky write ups? This is the one about the white dinner jacket. Sadly, most of the pics are gone.

http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1584#1584

The claim that there is no historical precedence for the vest with white dinner jacket is clearly wrong.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  13. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

There is a way to have a fun jacket and not look ridiculous. I think a velvet smoking jacket with a link front is the way to go. It is still technically correct black tie (though generally reserved for parties in someone's home). Unfortunately, they aren't easy to come by. A regular velvet jacket might work instead. Anything is better than what was on the previous page. Here are some sort-of correct options that I found:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Fitzg...ar_MK00220_Color=BLCK&contentpos=53&cgid=0235
    I'd get the center vent closed on the above jacket.
    http://us.suitsupply.com/jacket-black-plain-berlin-c533/C533,en_US,pd.html?start=21&cgid=Jackets
    You can probably get away with the side vents in the above, or get them closed.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Men...761486?pt=US_CSA_MC_Suits&hash=item2579b6034e
    Not sure about this one specifically, but it should give you an idea.

1 person likes this.
  14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

15. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

^ sh*t. Now I'm going to have to return mine.

16. bigtimebuck4

I would think metro would make something along these lines that is still tasteful

17. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Velvet during the summer for dancing is not a good idea IMHO.

18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

Who makes that dinner jacket?

19. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

I am really disappointed that the dinner suit on the left isn't available in my size. :(

20. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I missed the summer part. I guess it partly depends on how good the AC is, but I suppose it may still not look seasonally appropriate. I was just trying to come up with something better than the monstrosities in the other post.