• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

sftiger

Reaction score
Haven't tried them yet, though it's on my radar. I find their lapels a bit wide for my taste (4 1/2 inches I think) but overall they might be a good option for me.

It's not easy having bespoke taste on a musician's salary.

I'd try one on. I actually prefer the slightly larger lapel and think the SuSu tux looks good on my friends that own one, although I don't own one myself.

Also - if you have the patience (and lack of urgency) you can be patient and buy off eBay. I cycled through several tuxes from eBay over a 6 month period - returned one (clarified with the seller beforehand that this was a possibility and paid the shipping both ways), sold one at a substantial gain (totally accidental, but was nice!), and finally found one that was perfect actually on Styleforum B&S, which I wore for my weddin. Net, I think it cost me ~$200 + alterations (although many hours of my own time). But I did this over a 6 month period.

Canadianguy

Reaction score
I'd try one on. I actually prefer the slightly larger lapel and think the SuSu tux looks good on my friends that own one, although I don't own one myself.

Also - if you have the patience (and lack of urgency) you can be patient and buy off eBay. I cycled through several tuxes from eBay over a 6 month period - returned one (clarified with the seller beforehand that this was a possibility and paid the shipping both ways), sold one at a substantial gain (totally accidental, but was nice!), and finally found one that was perfect actually on Styleforum B&S, which I wore for my weddin. Net, I think it cost me ~$200 + alterations (although many hours of my own time). But I did this over a 6 month period.

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to go bespoke because with two strikeouts so far, I feel it's the only way to get what I want.

So hopefully I'll have something pretty decent to show you guys in a few months time.

RoseGardener

Reaction score
Question for folks from UK:
  1. How often do lower middle income men get to use black or white ties? Not high society but everyday people.
  2. What other occasions, other than the wedding, balls, opera/symphonies, would call for formal stuff in UK?
Background - my kid went to UK for college, which hosted annual white tie ball, regular black tie dinners, and even more parties. After graduation, effort was made to return for the annual white tie event. That led me to believe that formal wears are more common in your country with more opportunities to wear them?

Last edited:

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After spending a lot of time reading through older messages in this thread, I'm slowly coming around to the idea of getting a pair of patent leather shoes for formal events.

Could I please get opinions on this style of shoe? Appropriate or not?
$_57.JPG

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Appropriate. Kind of ugly, but appropriate.

Haha. Agreed. Not the most elegant of shoe.

That photo isn't particularly flattering, but the shape itself is not horrible. I'm on the fence about the band of fabric across the upper, but thought it was reminiscent of a grosgrain bow on opera pumps and therefore perhaps(?) not bad.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two strikes. I'm sufficiently deterred.
Thanks for saving me from doing something foolish. I will stick to oxfords which is what I know and like anyway.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two strikes. I'm sufficiently deterred.
Thanks for saving me from doing something foolish. I will stick to oxfords which is what I know and like anyway.
I think that's a wise decision.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I opted for a pair of Brooks Brothers patent leather plain toe oxfords instead of the weird Florsheim loafers pictured earlier. Disaster averted. ;)

I have a new question about waistcoats and would really appreciate advice again.

Would this waistcoat with a shawl style lapels match the dinner jacket below? (I would probably replace the buttons with satin covered buttons)
big2015ff-img600x695-1520942782omerpe1250.jpg

Or would a waistcoat without lapels be better?
s-l1600.jpg

A dinner jacket I have on the way from the UK is a vintage Ermenegildo Zegna midnight blue jacket with peak lapels.
s-l1600.jpg

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
The waistcoat with the shawl collar would be the correct style for black tie, the one without lapels looks too high cut. But the wool would need to be midnight blue to match the rest of the outfit.

I opted for a pair of Brooks Brothers patent leather plain toe oxfords instead of the weird Florsheim loafers pictured earlier. Disaster averted. ;)

I have a new question about waistcoats and would really appreciate advice again.

Would this waistcoat with a shawl style lapels match the dinner jacket below? (I would probably replace the buttons with satin covered buttons)
big2015ff-img600x695-1520942782omerpe1250.jpg

Or would a waistcoat without lapels be better?
s-l1600.jpg

A dinner jacket I have on the way from the UK is a vintage Ermenegildo Zegna midnight blue jacket with peak lapels.
s-l1600.jpg

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you'll be happy with the Brooks shoes. I have the same ones and have found them both comfortable and presentable. The Zegna DJ looks very nice indeed. I think the advice to go midnight blue is sound. A black waistcoat would not look right...unless (and I'm in a small minority here) you also plan to wear black trousers. Then you might be able to make it work. A better option altogether is to go with, say, a white faille waistcoat.

Quesjac

Reaction score
Question for folks from UK:
  1. How often do lower middle income men get to use black or white ties? Not high society but everyday people.
  2. What other occasions, other than the wedding, balls, opera/symphonies, would call for formal stuff in UK?
Background - my kid went to UK for college, which hosted annual white tie ball, regular black tie dinners, and even more parties. After graduation, effort was made to return for the annual white tie event. That led me to believe that formal wears are more common in your country with more opportunities to wear them?

I can't speak for everyone in the UK, but some general observations:

1. No black tie at weddings I've ever encountered. (I don't think black tie looks good in the daytime so to me this is a good thing.) If people want to be more dressed up they wear morning dress.
2. Black tie (and yes, white tie) persist in certain professional organisations, and yes some educational institutions as you say (not 'college' here btw). Black tie is not common in concerts / opera on the whole. Award ceremonies often require it though.
3. General comment: like class in the UK in general, I don't think it's so much about income but tradition --- if you get involved in a conservative profession you may well end up needing black tie quite frequently, but it's not like everyone of a certain income level is very traditional.

RoseGardener

Reaction score

1. No black tie at weddings I've ever encountered. (I don't think black tie looks good in the daytime so to me this is a good thing.) If people want to be more dressed up they wear morning dress.
2. Black tie (and yes, white tie) persist in certain professional organisations, and yes some educational institutions as you say (not 'college' here btw). Black tie is not common in concerts / opera on the whole. Award ceremonies often require it though.
3. General comment: like class in the UK in general, I don't think it's so much about income but tradition --- if you get involved in a conservative profession you may well end up needing black tie quite frequently, but it's not like everyone of a certain income level is very traditional.

Thanks Quesjac. it seems like I was under the wrong assumption that was influenced firstly by of my kid's experience and also availability of tux on ebay UK.

Anubis

Reaction score

Having served in the Armed Forces, and now working with them, I wear black tie fairly frequently. I remain a member of an Officers' Mess, but find that younger officers prefer informal functions more. That said (and as the Mess is joint service) traditional functions such as the Battle of Britain dinner and Trafalgar Night are always well attended. Black tie, as worn by the military, is very much of the traditional variety - ready-tied bow ties are a solecism, for example, and likely to result in the wearer buying port for the whole Mess - though ties of Service or club colours are acceptable for dining-in nights, which are informal formal events. There is also considerable latitude in the area of cummerbunds worn by the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force. Ship or squadron crests feature, or stripes of unit or Service colours. They can be worn with Mess dress, or black tie.

Next month I am going to an awards ceremony, and if it's anything like last year there will be many appalling examples of dress on display. Still, it starts with a champagne reception, so I can dull the pain. I just need to control the temptation to ask someone with a hideously coloured ready-tied bow tie if it lights up, spins around or squirts water.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads