• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Skate/Bike Thread

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After PinkPantser's recent WAYWT post, it's become clear that there are a few SFers that have previously, or even currently, skate or bmx. So I just wanted to start a thread where we can share stories or talk about current events in the skate/bmx world.

I've been skating off and on since high school. Skate for a couple years, stop for a couple. To be honest, I haven't skated much in the last year, save for a couple sessions here and there. When I was more active a couple years back, I was big into miniramps, bowls, and concrete parks. Since I moved to LI, I haven't really ventured far from my apt. I went into the city to the Brooklyn Banks, but that was ages ago. I still read my Thrashers pretty religiously, but it's getting more and more depressing that I'll never be near that level of skaiting. Looking to start up again when the weather gets warmer and I'm done with school, but it looks like it's going to be a long winter.

So what about the rest of you guys?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I got a skateboard once for my birthday, many years ago. The first time I tried to ride it I fell and absolutely shredded my knee. Some 20 years later I still have the scar, but I never tried that skateboard again.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Skated back in high school. Mostly "posed" but I actually could ollie and kickflip. My manual ability was **** though.

Also was into the brands (Element, Vans, Almost, etc.)

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
i used to rollerblade competitively (i know, i know...fruitbooter). Bunch of my best friends went pro, and i traveled on tour with them a lot during summer vacation in high school. I owe a lot to it, kept me out of a lot of trouble in high school.

Any of you guys ever go to Woodward? i went 3 years on my own, then my sponsors sent me down there 2 more years.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, man. Getting sponsored used to be everyone's dream back in the day.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my first "real" BMX bike in sixth grade, in the mid '80s. It was a neon green Haro Master. Photo taken with my first instant camera:

n1327371148_84573_6072.jpg

This is me a few years later, on my second bike (also a Master):

n1348340707_30084456_4009.jpg

I never was very into ramps, but riding flatland became my life for about four years. I traveled all over the South to competitions and did fairly well in the intermediate class. Never was truly "sponsored," although I did pick up a few product sponsorships (Odi grips, Shark watches, Awesome shoes).

Once high school got underway, I developed interests in other things (girls, punk culture, etc.) and stopped riding; however, I never stopped thinking about flatland. Fast forward to about six or seven years ago, when I finally decided to give riding a go again (despite being considerably older than most riders) and bought a "new school" flatland bike -- a KHE Messerschmitt. I certainly don't have the time to ride like I once did as a kid (I now sometimes go for months at a time without having the chance), but I've really enjoyed getting back into it. Not only can I do pretty much all of the tricks that I once had under my belt, but I've learned a lot of new ones as well.

Here is a recent shot of me doing a backyard:

n1080651937_134649_2084.jpg

And a long-distance shot of a steamroller:

n1348340707_30085543_4795.jpg

For those of you who have not seen any contemporary flatland pros in action, check out this competition footage from last year of Adam Kun (from Hungary), one of my current favorite riders (NOTE: I cannot even come close to doing any of these tricks):

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

mafoofan Jr.

Reaction score
I had one Maple Leaf in 8th grade with Independent trucks but I never like skaters or their trashy lifestyle so I moved on to organized sports. Back in my days, skating gear was expensive and much better made the than craps you youngsters use now. ES and Emerica were made favorite footwear choices.

WoodyStylee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Neo_Version 7
Oh, man. Getting sponsored used to be everyone's dream back in the day.

haha, seriously. I remember sending videos in to skate companies trying to get sponsored (i sucked at the time). I ended up placing like 12th or something on the east coast at a competition, and walked away that day with like 2 or 3 sponsors. Pretty cool experience, and every big city has its skate 'crews', its almost like a family. Skate together, travel to competitions together...i do miss it, but the guys that are still doing it are all jacked up. 25 year old kids with a body that feels like their 60.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried skating and flatland BMX (I think we called it freestyle up here), but wasn't good at either. Also mountain biked and I think I was better at that although I never competed. Now I snowboard and am improving pretty quickly. At 25 though, it's obviously too late to do anything with it beyond enjoy it.

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. The year I was born, Mullen's stuff slays me every time even though some of it is goofy as hell. Another:

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Almost team was sick back in the day.

His duels with Daewon Song were always entertaining. Mullen actually remains one of my favorite skaters of all time. Koston would be there too.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mullen and flatland is cool, but I always liked someone with a good mix.

IMO John Cardiel is the best skater ever. The perfect balance between street and transition.

dave

Reaction score
I've been skating for 20+ years. Mostly pools and ditches though. Never much of a flatlander. Cardiel was a helluva skater. Haven't seem that much from him since his accident though. ( I don't really keep up nowadays though so he may be back to form by now). For my $$ though the gonz rips all. Style for miles.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, Cardiel skates as much as he is able. Last footage I've seen is him doing some manuals and a couple slash grinds on a miniramp. Occasionally he'll go on tour with Antihero or some of the other Deluxe teams. His accident was tragic. I think Patrick O'Dell recently did an interview with him on his Epicly Later'd video series.

Mark Gonzales was the man. A true pioneer of street skating. While it might be debatable whether he or Natas skated the first rail, at least the Gonz is still actively skating today.

Here he is in the legendary Video Days in 1991

And here he is again a couple years ago, riding for his company, Krooked.

Seriously, he is the man.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads