• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J GII

236B9099-43E4-44AC-98FA-7DDB06DF21DD.jpeg

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I FINALLY got these in the mail. Bought them on the original double leather sole but, because I DESPISE double leather soles, I asked the London factory to swap them out for a Vibram Gumlite sole. Now these whiskey shell Harlechs are as light as a feather and I absolutely love the look of them. Vibram Gumlite is underrated, no?

P.S.: Absolutely no filter/edits on the pics. Just a fantastic shade of shell and a nice sunny day.

shoeinvestor

Reaction score
So, I FINALLY got these in the mail. Bought them on the original double leather sole but, because I DESPISE double leather soles, I asked the London factory to swap them out for a Vibram Gumlite sole. Now these whiskey shell Harlechs are as light as a feather and I absolutely love the look of them. Vibram Gumlite is underrated, no?

P.S.: Absolutely no filter/edits on the pics. Just a fantastic shade of shell and a nice sunny day. View attachment 1247492 View attachment 1247493 View attachment 1247494 View attachment 1247495 View attachment 1247496
People are so different: I absolutely like double leather on my Harlechs (and on boots in general)! But your Harlechs are nevertheless great!

Hasselmannen

Reaction score

P.S.: Absolutely no filter/edits on the pics. Just a fantastic shade of shell and a nice sunny day. View attachment 1247492 View attachment 1247493 View attachment 1247494 View attachment 1247495 View attachment 1247496
Looking fantastic! I’m with you regarding double leather and I have similar ideas for my shell Bradfords.

CrashBurner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’ve got the same boots and similarly I'm not keen on double leather soles. I’ll eventually change the soles out for Dainite or Ridgeway down the track.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's funny to me how different people feel about leather soles. I love them, and Alden's Commando sole. I viscerally hate Dainite. To me it feels like walking on pegs, and never breaks in.
I can't hit like enough for this post! Walking on pegs is a very apt description! Leather or Commando any day of the week!

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny to me how different people feel about leather soles. I love them, and Alden's Commando sole. I viscerally hate Dainite. To me it feels like walking on pegs, and never breaks in.

I agree. People differ greatly on their preferences. Although, to be fair, I love leather soles. I just hate DOUBLE leather soles. The extra density makes the shoe inflexible and heavy. Personally, I think the C&J city sole is the absolute best.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grant Stone Cognac Shell today
ujUfJgA.jpg

I agree. People differ greatly on their preferences. Although, to be fair, I love leather soles. I just hate DOUBLE leather soles. The extra density makes the shoe inflexible and heavy. Personally, I think the C&J city sole is the absolute best.
Exactly - that's kinda my point. I get that my opinion here is just for me, and can get how a double-leather sole can create a difference that wouldn't work for you. I'd say that there is a huge diversity of experience between the various sole-makers. Double-JR still feels almost sneaker-like to me, and whoever Grant Stone uses isn't far off. But I've had double-leather that feels pretty stiff and thick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads