• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

trevorplease

Reaction score
unstructured...unlined... plain toe... stitchdown..visible eyelets.. it hits all my checkboxes thats for sure.. might have to start lurking the truman thread

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those look great, brother. Is there a reason you dropped the shaft height? I have an break-in issue with most boots as the shaft will cut into my my lower ankles.

I have the same issue and have found that chukkas work around that issue nicely. Not too much of a difference in those mto boots and my Alden chukkas.

B1DAE6D0-4319-4051-980E-A4054129ED32.jpeg

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue and have found that chukkas work around that issue nicely. Not too much of a difference in those mto boots and my Alden chukkas.

View attachment 945384
Yeah. For me it's a break in thing. After a few wears, it softens up and works. Also, for the first few wears, I won't lace them all the way to the top. That helps.

Still, if I find some shell chukkas for a great price, I'll try them out!

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped into the Brooks Warehouse sale where one of the very nice ladies in charge pointed under a table and said she just put out something I might like - she was right. C&J captoe boots in horween shell cordovan on the 240 last. There’s a big fat horween stamp on one of the tongues. $998 with 80% off.

9A712CD9-EA1F-4D38-AB08-E50E3F8AD2E6.jpeg

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped into the Brooks Warehouse sale where one of the very nice ladies in charge pointed under a table and said she just put out something I might like - she was right. C&J captoe boots in horween shell cordovan on the 240 last. There’s a big fat horween stamp on one of the tongues. $998 with 80% off.

View attachment 945813

More pics of those, please!

007Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 945813

That deal is almost criminal!

imtywebb

Reaction score
hello everyone- for my very first post here i am looking for advice about my first pair of cordovan loafers. i do not know much about cordovan other that what i have read here. i have read through many of the posts in this thread and it seems like i should be looking at crocket & jones or carmina as a starting point of brands. i am interested in any advice you guys may have about lasts, soles, etc.

i work in an office but spend some time walking through our warehouses as well. i am not sure if i would save these for weekends and special events or get in the habit of wearing them more frequently.

please let me know if i have posted in the right place and i welcome any advice!

thank you in advance

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hello everyone- for my very first post here i am looking for advice about my first pair of cordovan loafers. i do not know much about cordovan other that what i have read here. i have read through many of the posts in this thread and it seems like i should be looking at crocket & jones or carmina as a starting point of brands. i am interested in any advice you guys may have about lasts, soles, etc.

i work in an office but spend some time walking through our warehouses as well. i am not sure if i would save these for weekends and special events or get in the habit of wearing them more frequently.

please let me know if i have posted in the right place and i welcome any advice!

thank you in advance
I would suggest finding a brand with a style/price/fit that you like before jumping into shell shoes. What brands currently do you wear that offer shell? Do you have your sizing nailed down? Allen Edmonds, Alden, Carmina, Crockett&Jones, and a ton others offer shell. This includes the vintage offerings by Hanover, Johnston&Murphy, etc.

I personally prefer leather soles, but there are many other options including combination soles, crepe, commando, etc. For loafers I personally would want a single leather or single waterlock/butyl/oiled sole for extra flexibility.

I work in an office connected to warehouses as well. I have no fears about wearing shell in the warehouse, on job sites, in the rain, etc. You just have to spend some time cleaning and brushing afterwards. I have even gouged my shell; a bit of conditioner with back of spoon massaging and brushing completely eliminated it.

I would wear shell every day if I didn't have a bunch of suede/CXL/calf/Gator begging to be worn too.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmina:

BCECB867-4E61-4A13-BC48-4647561F9B90.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics