• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was time to do a little maintenance on these #8 Florsheim Royal Imperials from February 1990. Afterwards a picture in the sun and in the shade. These have really developed a nice patina over the years.

View attachment 943243 View attachment 943244
You've done a great job in restoring these. Classics. There's a pair in my size on the bay, but I don't need another project!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You've done a great job in restoring these. Classics. There's a pair in my size on the bay, but I don't need another project!

Thanks, but I can’t claim that I restored them. They were in great condition when I got them on the bay. This was just a little touch up and buffing for shine.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was a project shoe. I had 3 pairs of #8 LWBs and I wanted to do something different. First, I found a pair of stock #8 MacNeils from Allen Edmonds on Ebay for around $160.

View attachment 942441

I then cleaned them up a bit, checked their size, disinfected and sent them into AE for a resole. Their soles were fine, but I wanted a natural edge and welt with white stitching.

View attachment 942442
Finally, I wanted more contrast and pop so I had a local cobbler add the brass eyelets and used some alabaster laces from AE. Total cost for the shoe, shipping, resole and eyelets came in right at $300. Less than half of MSRP and a nice #8 lwb that did not duplicate existing shoes.

View attachment 942443

Dang I like those a lot! Very tempting to replicate.

icelatte

Reaction score
D7189426-EF27-44D4-939E-939B74F120E6.jpeg
Rancourt and Co. Caramel shell wingtip boots just arrived.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brown shell AE MacNeil.

IMG_2752.jpg

wristandfeet

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I've noticed very small pore-like holes forming on the surface of my shell boots (color 8) and shoes (whiskey). Have others experienced the same thing on their shell footwear?

I've attached a photo for reference. The small holes circled in green are what I am referring to.

My best guess is that these are purely cosmetic, related to the welts that formed when the shell was sprinkled in rain. But It would be good to know if these holes indicate a more serious issue. In which case, I should revisit my shoe care routine (e.g. maybe I brushed too hard)

Many thanks!
PC

Pores.jpg

IMG_1416.JPG

Last edited:

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I've noticed very small pore-like holes forming on the surface of my shell boots (color 8) and shoes (whiskey). Have others experienced the same thing on their shell footwear?

I've attached a photo for reference. The small holes circled in green are what I am referring to.

My best guess is that these are purely cosmetic, related to the welts that formed when the shell was sprinkled in rain. But It would be good to know if these holes indicate a more serious issue. In which case, I should revisit my shoe care routine (e.g. maybe I brushed too hard)

Many thanks!
PC

View attachment 944242
View attachment 944253
I noticed this on my cognac shell cordovan PTBs. I don't know what causes it but I just hit them with some Renovatuer and brushed. Not quite as noticeable after that. It just encourages me to not treat these shoes like museum pieces. Lol!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Many thanks!
PC

View attachment 944242
View attachment 944253

I noticed this on my cognac shell cordovan PTBs. I don't know what causes it but I just hit them with some Renovatuer and brushed. Not quite as noticeable after that. It just encourages me to not treat these shoes like museum pieces. Lol!
I have a pair of AE seconds that came with that. I did the deer bone/back of spoon massaging to greatly reduce them.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of AE seconds that came with that. I did the deer bone/back of spoon massaging to greatly reduce them.
I have a deer bone, but I don't think I have the technique perfected.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a deer bone, but I don't think I have the technique perfected.
I don't have deer bone, but I found some conditioner/lotion and spoon work quite well. I haven't had tons of success reducing rolls (maybe not patient enough...must have to have multiple double digit sessions?), but I have done some fine work reducing the pitting and a gouge in another pair.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Blue AE MacNeils.

IMG_2753.jpg

GGMac

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Many thanks!
PC

Adam from AoC told me those little welts and holes are common with all shell. It’s more apparent in some hides vs others but he said they were likely from the hair follicles of the animal.

Vinsep

Reaction score
Adam from AoC told me those little welts and holes are common with all shell. It’s more apparent in some hides vs others but he said they were likely from the hair follicles of the animal.

Shell is not skin though.... it’s a layer of sheath under the skin.... I don’t think they have hair follicles.

GGMac

Reaction score
Shell is not skin though.... it’s a layer of sheath under the skin.... I don’t think they have hair follicles.

Just going by what he told me. My AF26’s had those all over the right shoe when i unboxed them and that was his response to my question.

1D99A134-C368-4851-AA89-324FAAAF828C.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads