• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

True dat.

Korabas

Reaction score
Is there a way to change the rolls in shell? I recently received a pair of navy shell boots from Rider and while my boots fit fine length and width wise, I have very low volume feet (low instep+very flat).

I tried the pen method which didn't do much as, on the mid to outer portion of my instep, the leather creases oddly. I'm not sure how to describe it but I've attached a picture of my foot when flexed.

I've tried insoles but they make no difference and even thin insoles make the boot incredibly tight since there isn't space between the top of my foot and the leather. I haven't tried thick socks, but midweight socks leave little room as it is. Is it just a poor match between the shape of my foot and the last?

Are there any insoles that specifically add volume to the outside portion of the foot, or that would raise my instep?

Additionally, I dropped a heavy box on my left foot at work, and it landed right along my toe joint crease. As a result, there is a sharp crease rather than a roll and no amount of deer bone usage has been able to reduce it.

I appreciate any advice.

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is there a way to change the rolls in shell? I recently received a pair of navy shell boots from Rider and while my boots fit fine length and width wise, I have very low volume feet (low instep+very flat).

I tried the pen method which didn't do much as, on the mid to outer portion of my instep, the leather creases oddly. I'm not sure how to describe it but I've attached a picture of my foot when flexed.

I've tried insoles but they make no difference and even thin insoles make the boot incredibly tight since there isn't space between the top of my foot and the leather. I haven't tried thick socks, but midweight socks leave little room as it is. Is it just a poor match between the shape of my foot and the last?

Are there any insoles that specifically add volume to the outside portion of the foot, or that would raise my instep?

Additionally, I dropped a heavy box on my left foot at work, and it landed right along my toe joint crease. As a result, there is a sharp crease rather than a roll and no amount of deer bone usage has been able to reduce it.

I appreciate any advice.

shoe trees and bone it

they look like they have too much volume though

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Looks like they're just physically too big for your foot.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have some new shell shoes coming tomorrow and I am wondering what break-in advice experienced shell wearers can offer? I know to wear them on carpet only to test the fit, but at some point they have to get out in the world. Should they be worn straight out of the box or should they prepped in some way? My other shell shoes were already broken in when I bought them, so this will be a new experience for me.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
I search Ebay for Florsheim cordovan. I look for Hanover too.
Carmina, J Crew and Leather Soul are also on my list, just to name a few.
From Alden to Zenga I search from A to Z.
And even though I find a few great pairs, none of them fit me.

So when at last I find my size, and at a price I can afford.
I’ve learned to act immediately to the impulse I can’t ignore.
Because if I wait to give it thought and to weigh the pros and cons,
I’ve learned that when I finally log back on the @#$%^ *&^% things are gone.

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have some new shell shoes coming tomorrow and I am wondering what break-in advice experienced shell wearers can offer? I know to wear them on carpet only to test the fit, but at some point they have to get out in the world. Should they be worn straight out of the box or should they prepped in some way? My other shell shoes were already broken in when I bought them, so this will be a new experience for me.
Should be pretty much the same as new calf shoes.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I try to wear them on carpet for about 1 hr. Some guys will go 3 nights of 1 hr wears, but I can't wait to wear mine!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads