• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fact, just to the left of the laces, it's got the swirl motion - which means I think it is safe to rule out EG all together.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JimmyHoffa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm taping out. That was embarrassing! I should know as well, as I have the 88 last, which is even slightly more square than that.

Wurger, for the win!

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will post some other black cap toe oxfords, though not strictly stitch cap, the only decorations are perforations along some seams.

While in USA, Balmoral refers to closed lacing shoes. In UK, Balmoral is a type of Oxford, where are no seams that runs from the welt of the shoe except for the cap and the heel. So I will start with this interesting style:

My Alfred Sargent Exclusive Wilson Black in 104 last, size UK 6.5F
Purchased from Bodileys, RRP £321 ext. VAT
Topied at Coombs in the Strand Arcade Sydney

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need help deciding on one of these in the near future... For a point of reference I wear suits 4 days a week and generally wear cordovan balmorals and bluchers with suits. For years, I wore a Church Consul as well, but it was a bit missized and it has worn down, so I haven't worn it in several months and want to replace it.

So I am looking for a black oxford captoe in the mid to high tier (could spend anywhere from $500 to $1000, but I want to avoid paying JL/EG/G&G pricing) that will have a classic but contemporary look and will last for years. Blake or goodyear both work. The main requirement is that the maker has to offer them in wide widths - F I guess. The issue with the Consul is that I stretched them out width wise to the point that it looks unattractive. I understand the Consul is offered in F, so that is an option, but it seems like there are other nicer brands out there.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I need help deciding on one of these in the near future... For a point of reference I wear suits 4 days a week and generally wear cordovan balmorals and bluchers with suits. For years, I wore a Church Consul as well, but it was a bit missized and it has worn down, so I haven't worn it in several months and want to replace it.

So I am looking for a black oxford captoe in the mid to high tier (could spend anywhere from $500 to $1000, but I want to avoid paying JL/EG/G&G pricing) that will have a classic but contemporary look and will last for years. Blake or goodyear both work. The main requirement is that the maker has to offer them in wide widths - F I guess. The issue with the Consul is that I stretched them out width wise to the point that it looks unattractive. I understand the Consul is offered in F, so that is an option, but it seems like there are other nicer brands out there.

Vass do wide fitting and should run you no more than mid 700. Likely a lot less if you deal with them direct. Mine cost the equivalent of $660 shipped with trees and toetaps and I had to pay VAT. SF member Notch runs a proxy service or you can deal direct

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not the traditional cap toe but AS' Moore is black is on their 724 last which is a relatively wider last. F is their 'standard' size (not E like other brands) but it might be worth checking out. Julian at A Fine Pair of Shoes is very helpful and I've bought numerous shoes from them in the past.

I think C&J has a black cap toe oxford that they also run an F last but I'm not positive...

Nice to see you outside of the Alden thread A! I'd push EG since I personally think they're awesome but that pushes you right at your cap around $1000...

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will post some other black cap toe oxfords, though not strictly stitch cap, the only decorations are perforations along some seams.

While in USA, Balmoral refers to closed lacing shoes. In UK, Balmoral is a type of Oxford, where are no seams that runs from the welt of the shoe except for the cap and the heel. So I will start with this interesting style:

My Alfred Sargent Exclusive Wilson Black in 104 last, size UK 6.5F
Purchased from Bodileys, RRP £321 ext. VAT
Topied at Coombs in the Strand Arcade Sydney

I'm really appreciating the shape of the heel on this pair. It's striking me as particularly elegant on this model with it's round, tight, horse-shoe shape.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Church also uses F as their standard width, G is available on the Consul.

Alfred Sargent 109 last is quite wide too, though its pointy toe cap may give your pinky toe some rubbing if fitting isn't spot on.

Tricker's 5 fitting also has a lot of room.

Pediwear can help with both above.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads