• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Quintessential Dress Shoe: Black Cap Toe Oxford

Balfour

Reaction score
they sits in no man's land, which I personally believe isn't ideal, they are like the budget Church's, if one wants to keep under 300 pounds, Herring and Cheaneys.

I agree they occupy a possibly unenviable position above 'entry level' price but below 'mid-tier' quality.

Just an opinion, but in my view Herring Alfred Sargent > Cheaney.

Cheaney are nice enough, but I'm not sure the extra price justifies the quality difference with Loake 1880 (in black calf at least - no experience in brown).

Last edited:

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you extend that to include their imperial line?

Balfour

Reaction score
Would you extend that to include their imperial line?

Very fair point - my comment did not relate to that line.

I was comparing Cheaneys that I tried but didn't buy at around £275 (in the classic range?) to the Herring Alfred Sargent Charles IIs that I did buy at £275 plus a free shoe tree from Herring. The Cheaneys were a non-starter due to last, but I think the Herring ASs are appreciably better for a slightly above entry level shoe. Others may disagree.

The Imperials I believe are around £400. I have my mid-tier favourites, so would be unlikely to consider alternatives any time soon.

OzzyJones

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very fair point - my comment did not relate to that line.

I was comparing Cheaneys that I tried but didn't buy at around £275 (in the classic range?) to the Herring Alfred Sargent Charles IIs that I did buy at £275 plus a free shoe tree from Herring.  The Cheaneys were a non-starter due to last, but I think the Herring ASs are appreciably better for a slightly above entry level shoe.  Others may disagree.

The Imperials I believe are around £400.  I have my mid-tier favourites, so would be unlikely to consider alternatives any time soon.

I only asked as those were a line I looked at when first looking for an austerity brogue. I think, judging from the various opinions given that I'd likely go do AS exclusive in the circa £400 price bracket now.
Thanks for your valued input again Balfour, I'm still a relative naif in the quality shoe game

Balfour

Reaction score
I only asked as those were a line I looked at when first looking for an austerity brogue. I think, judging from the various opinions given that I'd likely go do AS exclusive in the circa £400 price bracket now.
Thanks for your valued input again Balfour, I'm still a relative naif in the quality shoe game

If it helps AS exclusive are my current mid-tier favourite, and I share the estimation for them wurger expresses above.

I have some old pre-prada Church's (which I bought, in a very English way, because that's where my father bought his shoes). They have served me well, but are 10+ years old so may be no reliable guide as to what is being sold now. Given the static around them now, I'm not sure I would risk trying the current line given the quality and lasts available in AS.

Last edited:

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you mean by the EG heel been ugly.

I am referring to the extra piece of leather EG is sewing around the top edge of the heel.
I think this detail is hideous, which is especially sad on an otherwise perfect RTW shoe like the EG.

As for your question regarding C&J and Loake, yes, I think they look kind of similiar.
If I had to chose and taking the prices into consideration, I would always go for the Loake.

Last edited:

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The EG Chelsea could be the perfect black shoe for his lovely last and his swan neck, if only his heel would not be as ugly.

I am referring to the extra piece of leather EG is sewing around the top edge of the heel.
I think this detail is hideous, which is especially sad on an otherwise perfect RTW shoe like the EG.

Are you talking about this detail? It's called a back-stay.

You cannot take an "open" back-seam right up to the edge. The danger of it ripping when the shoes get put on without a shoe horn is too great. The back-stay is a method of reinforcement and the most discreet and least conspicuous there is. I rather prefer it to the more common dog-tail, which in my opinion looks always clumsy:

Another reinforcement method would be the back-strap (a strap of leather, maybe 12mm wide, covering the back-seam). The two rows of stitching to hold the strap in place, will take strain off the back-seam.

Give me a back-stay any time. In my opinion it is the smartest way to deal with that problem area.

Louis XIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love your posts bengal-stripe!
Always very informative, thank you for sharing!
I wonder where you get all the information and helpful pictures from?

And yes, it's the back-stay I am referring to.
Personally I prefer the dog-tail over the back-stay, which to me, even if I know better, looks like it was patched over an already ripped seam.
A clean heel looking the best, I'd say for dress shoes my preference looks as the following:
Clean heel > dog-tail > back-stay > back-strap

For some casual/country boots I actually prefer the back-strap over an open seam which is only supported by the strap to pull the boots on, like in my AS Kirkhams for example.

Do you know how the following heel, which I have seen both in dress shoes as well as boots, is called?
(Referring to the seam starting from the sole running up to 1/3 to 1/2 of the heel)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads