• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The paraphenalia of modern living

ROT

Reaction score
I'm curious, is there an elegant way to carry the cellphone, electronic keys, sunglasses, reading glasses, card case, wallet, pocket knife, money clip, et. al.? A flat leather envelope bulges in the wrong places when "Fully loaded." Pockets in suit coats and sportcoats distend. Pleats are pulled open by loaded pockets. I'm trying to steer away from the dreaded "manbag." As I'm in a casual office, I could resort to wearing only cargo pants, but honestly... .

JohnG

Reaction score
Mr Rot,

One thing i have found to be MOST helpful is to take the things you DO carry in your pocket... or HAVE to carry with you..... to your tailor when you get alterations made.

It is amazing the slight alterations he can make to hide the lines.

Also, to force me to not carry too many things, I NEVER have my outside jacket pockets cut open.

Respectfully,
John G.

ROT

Reaction score
Thank you Mr. G;

I have yet to find a tailor I can trust here in Richmond, VA. The two I used to work with in Washington aren't available, or if they are I can't find them.

Thanks for the tip about leaving my jacket pockets sewn shut. If I can only convince my wife to carry her own lipstick and photo ID.

Sincerely,
Chris

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
a few months ago I shifted to a card case that just holds a credit card and an id. it was very liberating, if hard, to leave everything else at home, but it makes a huge difference. money clip and card instead of heavy wallet, and every night I put away any papersw that I have collected.

scottmag

Reaction score
a few months ago I shifted to a card case that just holds a credit card and an id. it was very liberating, if hard, to leave everything else at home, but it makes a huge difference. money clip and card instead of heavy wallet, and every night I put away any papersw that I have collected.
I did something similar about a year ago and have been much happier since. Â I picked up a Tumi wallet at Nordstom that has three slots on each side and a clip in the center to hold folded bills. Â It's thinner than any wallet I've ever had. Â Then I took out everything that I don't use almost daily. Â I carry only my driver's license, debit card, personal credit card, and corporate card. Â No grocery store loyalty cards, movie rental cards, medical plan card, or any other type of membership card. Â If I need these things they can live in the car since I will be driving to where I would use them. Â I should probably pull that corporate card out too. The next thing I would like to do is eliminate keys. Â My next car will have some form of keyless entry so the ignition key can stay inside. Â (Might take me a while to trust that system though.) Â I enter the house through the garage so I don't need to carry the house key. Â I use plastic for almost all purchases so I rarely have change or much cash. Â That leaves me with just a phone to flop around my front pocket. Â I'm already eyeing the replacement for my Sony-Ericsson T616, and you guessed it, size matters. Â (http://www.motorola.com/razr/countryselector.htm) Oddly, despite all this effort and focus I still carry my BlackBerry clipped on my belt. The quick-draw convenience is worth the stylistic hit. At least that's what I tell myself.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I personally carry a Taiga Leather card case by LV. It has three slots, two for credit cards, one for folded currency. Perfect and trim, and quite slick looking I think. Quality seems to be great, it was about $175.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I carry a small case enough for I.D., a debit card, and a credit card. There is a strap for some cash. In my other pocket, I carry keys on a simple ring. I'll carry my cellphone in hip pocket too, on occasion. That's all you need. Life is good without a PDA.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I have a very small wallet for essentials, I carry my keys by hooking them onto my rear-right belt loop, and I carry my cellphone in my pocket, with my iPod either clipped onto my pocket or in my messenger bag, depending on if I have my bag with me or not.

Reaction score
In San Francisco, one walks more than most.

I do not cut open my outer jacket pockets.

Formal/Business: If I bring more than wallet, keys, and iPod-or-PDA (never both - a code I live by) I bring either an outerwear item with pockets or some form of manbag.

Casual: The new millenium has provided us with some brilliant variations on the cargo pant and I embrace them utterly. If I am in jeans, again, a jacket or manbag always holds the extra load.

jharrison

Reaction score
I don't fully understand why so many have an aversion to the "manbag" or "manpurse". I think it makes perfect sense. Men have keys, PDAs, chapstick, sunglasses, checkbooks, etc. Why can't we have purses too? I just wish the idea would catch on with the average consumer.

UncleFes

Reaction score
regarding keys: I have a lot, and on a regular ring they always were a giant wad in my pants pocket. I ended up solving the problem by buying a zippered leather key case, the kind your grandfather used to carry. They are about the size of a smallish wallet, and have several small metal rings inside, onto which you attach your keys. The rings lay flat, so the keys do as well, and the whole thing zippers shut. Mine has a little pocket inside as well, in which I carry my business cards. I found this at a Wilson's Leather at a local mall.

UncleFes

Reaction score
Mark me down as another who doesn't cut his jacket pockets. I used to when I was a reporter, because a newspaper folded into fourths will fit perfectly in an outside pocket. But MAN did it pooch 'em out, even thick tweeds.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I leave my coat pockets open, and for about 8 months a year I wear a waistcoat, too. lots of pockets. I had ticket pockets put in my coats and that is perfect for my treo, which gives me phone, pda and (almost) blackberry in one. if I am not wearing a coat or waistcoat I usually find myself with my treo in my hand or my front pants pocket.

having stuff in your pockets makes you less GQ maybe, but it also makes you look like you are in the real world. I usually have a handkerchief and sunglasses in my outer breast pocket, a pad and pen in my inside breast pocket and I will often have mulitple objects in my outside pockets. but I don't look very GQ....

Leo Jay

Reaction score
regarding keys: I have a lot, and on a regular ring they always were a giant wad in my pants pocket. I ended up solving the problem by buying a zippered leather key case, the kind your grandfather used to carry...
Those traditional key 'wallets' always seem almost as bulky to me at having my keys on a ring. I only carry 5 keys on a regular basis, one of which is a tiny mailbox key -- it seems to me I should be able to find something sleeker, that allows the keys to be laid flat side by side, each in its own compartment. Can anyone think of something that could be easily adapted to this purpose?

ROT

Reaction score
Wow. Some great ideas, thanks. I've often wondered if one of those little leather key wallets would work. They look nice and do lie flat in a pocket, but I've still got the big electronic boxkey thing to contend with.

I've taken to keeping the cell phone in the coin pocket in my front trouser pocket and that works... sort of. I was hoping that the "cigarette pocket" (or what ever that is) in my blazer/suit coat lining might do the same, but it stretchs the fabric. If I can find a tailor, I'm sure that therein lies the solution.

Casually, I try to stick with a jacket that stashs a lot. Must be my age... as a college kid I could get a 6-pack into a leather jacket and a flask on my hip without looking bulked-up. Now I can't hide a sunglasses case and the phone..... .

Thanks again to everyone. I'm off to find a taior, a new wallet, a decent bag, etc.

Chris

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads