• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Oxford-Shoe-Worn-Casually Appreciation Thread

emptym

Reaction score
There are at least two clearly wearing oxfords (jeans guy and wholecut guy)...
I didn't see anyone w/ wholecuts, but I could have missed it. Pic?
What if the baseball cap was Goodyear welted and made from green shell cordovan?
If it's fitted, then, OK, since those are the sleekest, most versatile caps.
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. The logical conclusion of 'but this would be better' is that you'll be down to one single outfit you wear every day. It doesn't work that way...
This would be logical only if no two (or more) things could be equally good.

acapaca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's wholecut guy:

OW.jpeg

This would be logical only if no two (or more) things could be equally good.
If all you can do is sort things into two bins, 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable', then you possess little in the way of discernment and less in the way of nuance.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That outfit would be better with different shoes, but it's an otherwise good outfit. At the time that guide was written, Vox was pushing back a level of incoherence on the forum that was much larger and greater than what we're discussing in this thread (barring the blue and purple and green shoes). People were festooning their lapels with felted flowers, wearing fun socks with dark worsted suits, and often wearing bad tailoring. So he was trying to introduce an idea of how to dress more coherently and elegantly. It was not a prescriptive guide to be followed to the T. Much has been written about the "old English house look" (I think that's what Bruce Boyer called it), where sometimes you match different and disparate elements for pleasing effect. But the idea was to push people to think more about these issues.

I think a few things so far have been said, that bear repeating.

1. Restating Pete's point, people can wear whatever they want.
2. Restating Vox's point, if you dress as well as the guys in that guide, then you can also wear whatever shoes you want. But as Vox notes, arguing against the idea of rules, coherence, or tradition probably means you don't dress well
3. Restating Pete and Vox's point, it's about the overall outfit
4. Restating my point, this is not just about the shoes, but the general ethos of dress.

deadfisheyes

Reaction score
Actually, come to think of it, when I see photos of my dad and his side of the family in Vietnam during the 1960s, they were all very well dressed. They wore suits in an Anglo way (which is to say, conservative). I don't have a scanner, but can try to snap photos of the photos later. They wore dark suits, dark shoes, white shirts, etc. The cuts were reasonably good and the style Mod-ish.

Bao Dai, the last emperor of Vietnam, also dressed in a very classic "European" way.

A friend of mine still has family in Vietnam. His family is reasonably well off, and when he showed me photos of a recent event, everyone was dressed very, very casually -- jeans, shorts, t-shirts, and the like. Perhaps Vietnam has also gone through a similar dress evolution as the United States, and the people who buy fancy dress shoes just want bright colors because old norms have little importance.

Photos of Bao Dai below.

View attachment 1698417 View attachment 1698419 View attachment 1698427 View attachment 1698428 View attachment 1698429 View attachment 1698420 View attachment 1698421 View attachment 1698422 View attachment 1698423

His Rolex recently sold for some insane amount of money

View attachment 1698424

Based on old photos, I see that before the 90s, people wear suits more frequently. My guess is that the new economic reforms and the end of the Embargo brought in an influx of American culture (which is already prominent) and consumer goods. From the 90s and beyond, most men, office workers are only expected to be in shirts (short sleeve is okay) and trousers, chinos. Suit is not largely required but still has a place as the "formal clothing" for special occasions or if you are a person of position.
Nowadays, hip hop clothing, athleisure, business casuals reign supreme for common wear. Suit is not much "menswear" but "formal wear" in most minds. Most don't want to wear a suit in fear of standing out.
The CM scene here is budding, though I don't find many who dress CM on the street. Hanoi probably has more people in jacket/ suit than Saigon (due to the weather).
Vietnamese tailors in the past learned from the French, which probably has strong British influence, so suits back then indeed have a very European cut. Most modern tailors now, favor Italian soft tailoring style instead.

deadfisheyes

Reaction score
I've never seen bright dress shoes worn in Vietnam, nor have I even seen them for sale. It's all black and dark brown, for the most part.

I feel like if there's a business casual uniform in Vietnam, it's black slacks (or skirt) and a white shirt (or blouse). So, naturally you will see mostly black shoes.

But that said, you also have to understand that there really are no higher-end shopping opportunities in Vietnam for shoes, or even RTW tailoring. Or at least very, very little. In this respect it is far less developed than the rest of SEA and certainly than East Asia. Perhaps as more players enter the market, there might be increased selection in certain things.

I have seen my fair share of Black trousers with tan shoes.
Most of what I see are tight, cropped business casual or sport wears or kayne west-ish street wears.
Crazy patina is sort of a trend here in Vietnamese shoes scene. But otherwise, for the general office uniform, you hit the nail in the head, white shirt with black trousers, with black lace-up, or plasticky slip-on.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nguyen Van Thieu also dressed well.

This is similar to how my father dressed in the 1960s. Camp shirts with high-waisted trousers for casualwear. And then dark grey or blue suits with very thin lapels for work. White shirts and black shoes to match. He later sported tweeds when he moved to a Western country.

Of course, all these people are hated. Bao Dai, Nguyen Van Thieu, etc. Most Vietnamese people think of Bao Dai as a puppet of the French government and they hate Nguyen Van Thieu for having abandoned the South Vietnamese. I remember when I was a kid, I saw a mob of people drag a shopkeeper out of his store because he put up a painting of Ho Chi Minh. One person smashed a glass bottle over his head, leaving him bleeding.

gettyimages-525184847-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-515513406-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-941844672-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-1208450441-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-1233833247-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-1079658408-2048x2048.jpeg
gettyimages-515102524-2048x2048.jpeg

Tasteful foulard and Ivy Style two-button cuff

gettyimages-515118656-2048x2048.jpeg

Last edited:

88RSL

Reaction score

This is similar to how my father dressed in the 1960s. Camp shirts with high-waisted trousers for casualwear. And then dark grey or blue suits with very thin lapels for work. White shirts and black shoes to match. He later sported tweeds when he moved to a Western country.

In Singapore too, when flipping through my History textbook, I noticed many of the politicians wearing camp collar shirts and high waisted trousers, their lapels were not narrow however

B0DA03F5-6B9F-49F4-92CB-5A35B243BEC3.jpeg
4B13B079-853E-413B-9C86-C81128511936.jpeg
2D9400F5-7869-4D02-A3B5-CA424A4E7A5C.jpeg

deadfisheyes

Reaction score

Of course, all these people are hated. Bao Dai, Nguyen Van Thieu, etc. Most Vietnamese people think of Bao Dai as a puppet of the French government and they hate Nguyen Van Thieu for having abandoned the South Vietnamese. I remember when I was a kid, I saw a mob of people drag a shopkeeper out of his store because he put up a painting of Ho Chi Minh. One person smashed a glass bottle over his head, leaving him bleeding.

View attachment 1698634 View attachment 1698636 View attachment 1698637 View attachment 1698638 View attachment 1698639 View attachment 1698640 View attachment 1698641

Tasteful foulard and Ivy Style two-button cuff

View attachment 1698665

1950s Saigon, apparently, Mod and Hippy culture had some influences here.

39-trang-phuc-nam-gioi-viet-nam-e1591558224747.jpg

42-trang-phuc-nam-gioi-viet-nam-e1591558639243.jpg

Hanoi 1951 and 1959
40-trang-phuc-nam-gioi-viet-nam-e1591558308192.jpg

41-trang-phuc-nam-gioi-viet-nam-e1591558453620.jpg

Young Ho Chi Minh, I think he wears suit pretty well here
Ho-Chi-Minh-at-the-first-meeting-of-the-French-Communist-Party-1920.png

VIEP-191200-HOCHIMINH-03.jpg

Relevant to the thread, the guy on the right looks like he sported some suede oxfords.

Anyway, I'm too young to care about the political sentiments when talking about these figures. Bao Dai was definitely a style icon in his time, even now (among CM enthusiasts here). Vietnamese should just forgive each other and move on.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of course, all these people are hated.

I wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up... I do wonder what good it does in demonstrating that generally nasty people dressed according to the class norms of their colonial capitalist times. Of course, royals, the nobility and the colonial capitalist ruling classes dressed this way; clothing was an essential signifier of class belonging. It is perhaps more interesting to see how critics and rebels dressed. See, for example, Sartre in the paparazzi shots of famous actors and intellectuals posing in cafés you also posted. Sartre of course was famously unfashionable for the time - like many of those Marxist intellectuals he was austere and proper, but not stylish. And of course, clothing has in many ways lost this same class signification, or is losing it. That's a good thing, isn't it? It's also one of the main reasons we having any of these conversations. So perhaps we should look to other rationales for Classic Menswear than - "hey look at this Nazi-sympathizing Duke, this misogynistic and corrupt industry baron, or this colonial apparatchik - weren't they well dressed?" And, if I can borrow from the fusty old-fashioned dressers of the Frankfurt School for a second, I wonder how much of the nostalgia for the fashion leadership of the ruling classes also hides an subconscious longing to be ruled, in other words, the second of the two authoritarian personality types that Erich Fromm identified (that were later popularized by Adorno). I am being simultaneously mischievous and serious, of course.

emptym

Reaction score
Here's wholecut guy:

View attachment 1698623

If all you can do is sort things into two bins, 'acceptable' and 'unacceptable', then you possess little in the way of discernment and less in the way of nuance.
That seems like a strawman. No one argued for that (except maybe @JFWR on non-team baseball hats and @yorkshire pud for any baseball hats). In fact, the post you replied to by @Patrick R said one thing is better than another, and to claim one thing is better than another already points to a richer scale than dividing things into acceptable and not. The only thing similar in your reply to my post is the number two, but my point was that if two things can be equally good, then your "logic" (saying one thing is better than another leads one to only wear one outfit) was incorrect.

Ah, the pic of @Montesquieu. Those could be wholecuts, but it's unclear. If we assume they are, it's arguable whether wholecuts are oxfords. I know some blogs categorize them that way, and I'm OK with that, but strictly speaking, they're in their own category. Oxfords have vamps that go over quarters. Wholecuts have neither vamps nor quarters. And they have different social meanings. Oxfords have an old-fashioned, trustworthy connotation while oxfords are edgier, more attention-grabbing. For example, I think oxfords are ideal for a job interview, but I wouldn't wear wholecuts to one. Wholecuts would be at home at a club or an art show. If they go ahead and say wholecuts are oxfords, then I agree with D that other options would be better with M's outfit, such as chukkas for cold weather, loafers for warm , or derbies in between.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up... I do wonder what good it does in demonstrating that generally nasty people dressed according to the class norms of their colonial capitalist times. Of course, royals, the nobility and the colonial capitalist ruling classes dressed this way; clothing was an essential signifier of class belonging. It is perhaps more interesting to see how critics and rebels dressed. See, for example, Sartre in the paparazzi shots of famous actors and intellectuals posing in cafés you also posted. Sartre of course was famously unfashionable for the time - like many of those Marxist intellectuals he was austere and proper, but not stylish. And of course, clothing has in many ways lost this same class signification, or is losing it. That's a good thing, isn't it? It's also one of the main reasons we having any of these conversations. So perhaps we should look to other rationales for Classic Menswear than - "hey look at this Nazi-sympathizing Duke, this misogynistic and corrupt industry baron, or this colonial apparatchik - weren't they well dressed?" And, if I can borrow from the fusty old-fashioned dressers of the Frankfurt School for a second, I wonder how much of the nostalgia for the fashion leadership of the ruling classes also hides an subconscious longing to be ruled, in other words, the second of the two authoritarian personality types that Erich Fromm identified (that were later popularized by Adorno). I am being simultaneously mischievous and serious, of course.

As discussed before:

1. I think CM as a style has a more complicated history. I don't think it just represents regressive politics

2. I'm OK with just liking something as a look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads