• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been wearing a Drake's Balmacaan and Kaptain Sunshine traveler coat the most. They don't look like the alpaca coat in that photo, but they are full, long coats that have a similar vibe.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got this coat and was thinking of shortening the hem to about the knee. Probably 3 or 4 inches. Now I'm thinking of just keeping it as is.
What do you guys think? Hem it or nah? Ignore penor belt action in last pick.

IMG_0079.jpeg

IMG_0080.jpeg

IMG_0082.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just got this coat and was thinking of shortening the hem to about the knee. Probably 3 or 4 inches. Now I'm thinking of just keeping it as is.
What do you guys think? Hem it or nah? Ignore penor belt action in last pick.

View attachment 1727916

View attachment 1727913

View attachment 1727911

I think I could go either way. I like the longer cut on you, but don't think shortening it would necessarily be a mistake. Above the knee and I think it would lose some of its charm.

If I were you, I would wear the longer cut for a while and make a decision next winter. You can always shorten a coat but you can't lengthen it.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Proportions look good as it is. You can pin the coat shorter yourself and get a visual. You don’t need a tailor. Will help you decide. Stand as far back from the mirror as you can to get perspective.
If you shorten the coat you may want to trim/take in the skirt at the hem. May look flared out and exaggerate an A line silhouette when shortened. Proportions change and you want to maintain a balance of girth and length.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Yeah, that's about where I'm at right now. I actually tried to get a consult from Advanced Euro in Berkeley yesterday to see what he thought but when I got there the tailor, I forget his name, wasn't there. I'm concerned about the vent looking funny if too much length is taken off.
I think I'll keep as is for now but I do think a little shorter would be good. Nothing above the knee, though.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My belted bal coat initially hit on my lower calf and I disliked it right away, I felt self conscious about dragging it along the ground whenever I sat down.

I had it shortened to my upper calf area and that's where I prefer it. Still maintains the dramatic effect of a longer overcoat, keeps my legs warm, and looks balanced.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guessing 2” shorter is the sweet spot. Shorter but not too short. Pin it up and see.
i like the current length but it is also a sense of how it feels to you and not just looks.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

milktoast

Reaction score
Must admit that the Die, Workwear and Menswear Musings blogs helped me appreciate balmacaans more. They have presence, without being visually overbearing. An ideal addition to my wardrobe for the brutal Northeast Winters.
Nonetheless, this obviously comes at a cost and I'm now searching for one that won't break the bank. Really digging Spier & MacKay's charcoal herringbone balmacaan from last year -- if anyone is willing to part with one in a 36R, please contact me. Otherwise my hunt continues! Will also be keeping an eye on this thread for inspiration on other contenders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics