• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks interesting. But the calligrapher must have been a doctor earlier in their career!

I am on this, which is bringing back good memories of a four-year stint in Cape Town after the 2010 Soccer World Cup. It's a beautiful, spare-no-expense modern winery at the top of a hugely scenic mountain pass. The owner, a prominent local investment banker, was once asked why he blew so much money on it and replied: "Because the only ROE in the wine business is return on ego."

IMG_2747.jpg

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a fun few days with wine - yesterday was a 2002 Ridge Geyserville. Purchased on release and properly stored. Had with pizza and Italian. Exceptional and so much enjoyment in that bottle. Ridge has always been a value producer and that wine was a great example of the building blocks of those wines.

The day before was a 1982 estate Sterling Cab. Roll of the dice. Wine was very soft and muted. Incredible delicate. Significant bricking. Little fruit but interesting.

Also 2 days ago was a Clarendon Hill, Romas, Grenache 2006. Brilliant!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Siduri had a big recent library sale in December and I availed myself of a case. Last night opened a 2015 Yamhill I paid $23 for. It was a surprisingly nice sip for the money with floral, red fruit, and savory olive/pepper type notes. If you see for anything under $30 grab it.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else find that you can store wine for 3-5 days after opening to be a myth?

If I fail to finish wine on the same evening the next day it's either noticeably worse or barely drinkable already.

esoxm

Reaction score
3-5 days will kill most any opened wine. If you're trying to stretch a bottle over a few days - use something like a vacu vin, limit the amount of time the bottle is open to the air, and keep it cold

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I don't understand. A bottle of wine gets opened...and is not finished?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the second bottle is a stretch.

I'm certainly not leaving any of this to go to waste tonight.

IMG_2755.jpg

Last edited:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See above.

IMG_2760.jpg

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't understand. A bottle of wine gets opened...and is not finished?
I'll admit to this, but having 3 kids under 6 limits the amount of imbibing with dinner. After they go to bed, I'm usually too tired or want a whisky instead.

That said this weekend my FIL opened up the bottle of Sea Smoke Ten I got him for Christmas. All who tried agreed the quality was excellent. Bottle was gone in a flash. All agreed that it was worth the price yet still a little expensive.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I could drink this every day. Had a distinct note of brine and savory olives when opened. That toned down but never went fully away. A ton of dark fruit, eucalyptus, and after it had been opened 30 minutes or so a light strawberry jam on the finish. Really a great bottle of wine.

D332CEC7-5E90-4133-B9BC-54D2CEB6D3A8.jpeg

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love Fracture.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Eric is a beast to party with if you ever get the chance. I've had the chance a few times and the last time was at a resort in the Top 100 list of the world. A few of us ended the night with cigars and tequila. He even bought the cigars!

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could drink this every day. Had a distinct note of brine and savory olives when opened. That toned down but never went fully away. A ton of dark fruit, eucalyptus, and after it had been opened 30 minutes or so a light strawberry jam on the finish. Really a great bottle of wine.

View attachment 1104778

Seems super nice but checking the price... thats my monthly alcohol budget :/

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to make cuts elsewhere!

Speaking of budgets, I moved into a larger storage unit this week which is going to bump my carry cost up to nearly $5K a year. Bit sobering. Appears to me that the only surefire way to reduce this -- as a percentage of the value of goods held in said storage -- is to buy more wine?

IMG_2764.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads