• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
5428EC03-318A-4F23-8DEE-C8DC5AD5FBEA.jpeg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Sunday = Penfolds Grange.

D'Lynn Proctor told me to drink the '96. Will be slices of sous vide Snake River wagyu on a bed of duxelle with first harvest corn done elote style on my Traeger along with some sliced veggies given the Traeger treatment too.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not going to say anything mean like "hope it's corked", because that would reflect terribly on me as a totally petty person and that's not even remotely who I am.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sunday = Penfolds Grange.

D'Lynn Proctor told me to drink the '96. Will be slices of sous vide Snake River wagyu on a bed of duxelle with first harvest corn done elote style on my Traeger along with some sliced veggies given the Traeger treatment too.

I find that more often than not people overcook their corn. The perfect corn is crisp and has a good snap but people overcook it leaving it water logged from boiling it too long or dry due to grilling too long. Corn cooks rather quickly.

Not saying this is you Piob but I have never had good corn on the grill. The whole cooking it in husk is a double-edged sword because you either soak it, leaving it water logged, or you dry it out quickly without soaking. Elote style is delicious but if your base item is cooked bad, it leaves a lot to be desired. Ketchup on steak anyone?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I shuck it and don't do in the husk. About 20 minutes at 300 on the Traeger and then give it a little help with the char using my pastry torch. Smoky, light char, and a good bite to it. Hard to beat.

@Omega Male if the 96 is corked I'll pop the 94. If that's corked, I'll pop the 95. ;)

txm22

Reaction score
The chatter earlier this week about earlier wines convinced me to pull out a few bottles with some age on them. Only started building my cellar seriously within the last year or so, so age is relative here.

The 06 Beaucastel was a delight, and still had enough freshness that I'd say it could go for another 5 years at least. I have one more bottle to set aside, so I'll see if I can wait. The Musar was okay but probably too young. Definitely not as good as the other vintages I've tasted.

IMG_20200522_101122.jpg

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1392840

80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 8% Merlot, 8% Petit Verdot, 4% Cabernet Franc. Deep-pocketed owner but mostly left to do their own thing, in the this-goes-up-to-11 style. Not a Booth wine.

So is this a Walmart wine? Pick it up with a bag of Funyuns?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Stellenbosch Rust en Vrede and Napa Silver oak cooperation. Kind of reminds of an northern Rhône syrah. What do you know.

If you can find them where you are, I think the best SA/USA collaboration to date is Vilafonté.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK let's drink good South African wine.

IMG_1578.jpg

96 points Vinous
The 2015 MV de Compostella spent 12 months in barrel before each variety was blended, then another 12 months in barrel including 33% new French oak. It has a beautifully defined bouquet of blackberry, burnt toast, brown spice and light pencil lead aromas that gain intensity in the glass. The palate is medium-bodied with fresh blackberry and bilberry fruit, a killer line of acidity and the sense of symmetry that imbues the best MVs I have tasted over the years. It remains one of the Cape’s finest red wines. (NM)
(8/2018)

95 points Wine Enthusiast
Perhaps the best vintage of Compostella to date, the 2015 vintage is a blend of 40% Cabernet Franc, 32% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13% Merlot, 11% Petit Verdot and 4% Malbec. It showcases a beautiful elegance and herbal edge in waves of cigar tobacco and blackcurrant leaf, with a grounded fruit core of blackberry, plum and cassis. Additional notes of leather and German chocolate cake lend depth and intrigue, while the finish exhibits a masterful evolution between all these components with each sip. Well-structured and superbly balanced, it boasts gripping tannins and ample acidity to frame the ripe fruit. A beauty that should mature masterfully. *Top 100 Cellar Selection of 2018* (LB)
(4/2018)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads