• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yeah, I got a four pack of that recent 94...can't remember if it was a Spatlese or Auslese but it was trocken. I got a four pack of a different bottling by that maker in that vintage last year and it was incredible.

Colonel Mustard

Reaction score
My first and probably last venture into the 100 Parker point club. I am a big Catena fan and have been after this particular one for a while.

Patience is not my strong suit but I intend to cellar this for at least 10 years - possibly 20.

IMAG0485.jpg

Colonel Mustard

Reaction score
Continuing the Catena theme, this was one of the best wines I have had.

IMAG0180.jpg

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How is it? Can i share my story of my first CdP? It involves first class flights and older rich women.

Tried my first drink after about an hour of letting it sit. Was a punch in the face at first then mellowed out after about 2 hours. My wife said it took her back to her time in France and she really likes CdP. I’d try more and will add this to my list of wines to keep looking into.

My wife can’t tell the difference in a $30+ bottle and something like $12. It is currently hard for me to think of spending more than $50 per bottle knowing she will just shrug and say she’d rather have 3/4 cheaper ones. Maybe we will take a wine class or something after the world returns to a new normal

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tried my first drink after about an hour of letting it sit. Was a punch in the face at first then mellowed out after about 2 hours. My wife said it took her back to her time in France and she really likes CdP. I’d try more and will add this to my list of wines to keep looking into.

My wife can’t tell the difference in a $30+ bottle and something like $12. It is currently hard for me to think of spending more than $50 per bottle knowing she will just shrug and say she’d rather have 3/4 cheaper ones. Maybe we will take a wine class or something after the world returns to a new normal
I've had a few wines that are really old (my 10-year-old was just a rough guess) and some that I knew were truly exceptional. I hate to sound like one of those kinds but there seemed to be fewer intrinsic qualities making those bottles better than, say, a four-year-old malbec or whathaveyou. But, there did seem to be more joy in each glass or just....more. Sometimes it's also been all the flavors had harmonized or became more cohesive rather than being individual (so not cherry and dough flavors [making that up] but cherry pie).

Do I believe I am the victim of a biased palate? Sure. Even if not, there's no way I'd be able to go: oh yeah that's a 300-buck-worthy bottle when tasting blind.

Since you asked about my first CdP. In 2014 I gave a talk in Greece. Trip was weird af. Coming back through NYC I was upgraded to first on the way back. I think I was reading The Financial Times but there was something with some arts coverage. The woman I was sitting next to was like "I couldn't help but see what you were reading" blah blah blah.

We get to talking and I was planning on sleeping but she had been drinking and I join in. She's laughing too much to be friendly. Then is all: "so do you live in Atlanta?" As I mentioned she was older and putting together pieces of conversation I'm pretty sure she was at least a partial heiress to a diamond fortune.

"You just have to come see my wine cellar."

That line gave it away she was interested in ya boy. I thought I saw a wedding ring but I couldn't tell. Anyway we hit it off the whole flight get her number and I was so damn drunk and intrigued by what happened I had a ****-eating grin walking through the airport.

I call her we go out to dinner we still hit it off and...no ring. I could tell something was still not like, quite....there. In fairness I don't blame her considering there were decades betwixt us. So I slow play it nbd nothing happens and she was like I'd love to see you again. Lemme be clear: there was no way she was just looking for a friend.

Next time we get together I remembered the first time and was strategically ordering like middle-of-the-road stuff and she goes "let's get wine" and I was like how about this 30-dollar bottle and then she was like "We'd like the Chateneuf du Pape 2009: which was like 150 or something. And I'm like at that point calculating how much everything will cost and decide ******* I'm gonna spend all my money on this dinner who cares if I go 20 or 200 dollars over.

We get the tab and it's like 600 bucks (she picks it up) and I can't remember if we hung out another time or if that was the time where at the end I made a move but was a little cautious like I think I said "hey you still never showed me your wine cellar" and she was like oh, yeah, I can't do that and got semi-weird.

Anyway, turns out her husband made name-on-the-building donations to like the symphony and other big-ticket orgs in Atlanta a few weeks later.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A whole $600?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Okay, Boomer.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just saying, if I was married to someone that made name the building type donations and on the prowl, I'd not be ordering a bottle of what was probably about $65 retail in hopes of seducing a much younger piece of something something.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just saying, if I was married to someone that made name the building type donations and on the prowl, I'd not be ordering a bottle of what was probably about $65 retail in hopes of seducing a much younger piece of something something.
TIL: Piobaire's a woman.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
No, I'm just a modern man that realizes women can earn bank too. Don't be such a misogynist, Boomer.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
also like
No, I'm just a modern man that realizes women can earn bank too. Don't be such a misogynist, Boomer.
Candidly I was wondering why she wasn't asking me to a home-cooked meal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads