• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I like Lescalle. I don't know what Cuvée Emmanuel Tessandier is.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've really been digging into (2001-2000) Bords- I limit myself to $50 knowing full well that the same bottle is $20 15 minutes away. Does anyone have experience paying Canadian duty on wines if you don't spend the required two days in the US? Might be worth it to bring a bottle or two of really nice stuff up.

Last edited:

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bring a fair bit back but have never been assessed duty on wines I've brought back myself. I've always been up front that I was importing and have simply been waived through although I do this after trips longer than 48 hrs. I never bring more than a case back.

I don't know which province you're in, but if you're from BC and like older yet inexpensive Bordeaux there is a great little import company that brings in such a thing: Rooftop Cellars - they import petit chateaux from recent to 15 years old for around $30 a bottle, cru bourgeois and grand crus are more expensive, but they are a great source for older wines that never make the shelves of the BCLDB. Their sister company is a good source of interesting Italian wines too.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So a friend has six of these, bought by his father when first released to keep for their 50th but neither of them can drink now. I'm told not the best year... he's planning to sell at least three... his dad thought he had twelve but they have yet to find the other six in the cellar. Bottles were well stored for the duration.

Thoughts?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
well, 1969 is reputed to be a terrible vintage. I've never had a bottle of any '69 so I could not say from experience.

Also, Margaux was at that time being run badly, after years of underinvestment by the family. It wasn't until 1978 that the greek family whose name I can't spell bought it and the wines started to get good.

So, for those two reasons, I would either avoid or buy only if you get a really, really low price and you just want to take a flyer.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
w/s says lowest US price is $225/bottle. I would not pay that for it unless someone I trusted told me he had tasted it recently and it was good. I might pay $50 for it, or $100 on the outside. But the family could probably get more than that from a retailer who knows he can re-sell it based on the Margaux name alone.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wine.jpg

Getting very heavily into my "Bordolese" style wines from Veneto ATM. Can say hands down that the one in the centre is a truly wonderful drop for the price and is a true Bordeaux mix of Cab.Sauv., Franc, Merlot and Malbec - and the top one they produce (Capo Di Stato) was once confused by De Gualle to be a Bordeaux apparently - hence the name. It's a good thing really, as finding affordable French wine in this country is a nightmare.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for what I should be looking for in a sparkling wine for <$20 bottle? Have been asked to get a case for a pre-wedding party and sparkling wines are probably the most glaring hole in my wine knowledge. Would prefer something off-dry.

Any suggestions for styles or regions to be looking at for decent QPR are much appreciated--like I said, I know nothing about sparkling wine. Am in New York, so any specific store suggestions are also appreciated. Will probably head to Chambers St or Astor after work.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any suggestions for what I should be looking for in a sparkling wine for <$20 bottle? Have been asked to get a case for a pre-wedding party and sparkling wines are probably the most glaring hole in my wine knowledge. Would prefer something off-dry.
Any suggestions for styles or regions to be looking at for decent QPR are much appreciated--like I said, I know nothing about sparkling wine. Am in New York, so any specific store suggestions are also appreciated. Will probably head to Chambers St or Astor after work.

Tissot's Cremant du Jura "Extra Brut" NV. Just bought a bunch from Astor for xmas. $18.99 there or a buck more at CSW. Montborgeau Cremant du Jura also punches way above its weight.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Any of the entry level CA sparklers will be about that price, except Schrammsberg.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tissot's Cremant du Jura "Extra Brut" NV. Just bought a bunch from Astor for xmas. $18.99 there or a buck more at CSW. Montborgeau Cremant du Jura also punches way above its weight.

Thanks! Will take a look at both of those.

Any of the entry level CA sparklers will be about that price, except Schrammsberg.

True. Are any of them worth drinking? Seem to recall a discussion here just the other day about how most lower-priced CA wine is garbage :) FWIW, I do like Schramsberg, though it is indeed outside the price range this time.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Roederer estate might be in the $19 range, and it is certainly not garbage (though, yes, almost all CA reds will be)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics