• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I no little of wines/vineyards, I had a friend that would source wines for me and now I simply go to my local place and either ask the owner or read the little reviews (or the NYT). Anyway, not sure how I came across this bordeaux, was probably the owner but it is very tasty. Very "musty", almost meaty. Don't know any other cool wine descriptive terms. I'm sure this was less than $25. If anyone knows of it or similar stuff, please point me in the right direction because this is my last bottle and I've had other bordeaux's, both cheaper and more expensive, that I have not enjoyed.

Last edited:

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

While watching the SEC championship game, the 92 Montebello. Paul Draper's notes on the back if the bottle: "In a decade of exceptional vintages (this comment is surprising given that two of the previous ten vintages were declassified, something that hasn't happened since) this may be one of the finest. Despite substantial tannin, the wine is supple, balanced and accessible. It will continue to evolve in depth and complexity over the next twenty years." Draper is generally conservative in his evaluations of Montebello, specifically when it comes to longevity, and I think he was with this wine. At twenty it is still deep purple in color with lively fruit. I haven't had this vintage many times but this is a fantastic bottle right out if the gate. I'm looking forward to seeing how it evolves over the evening.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You wont find a better bottle for $9.

Tested one, then went back and got the 8 they had left. Interesting, harks back to the conversation around Zin, Sicilian wine has that lushness and depth without all the fat of a traditional Zin. Great wine.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

\If anyone knows of it or similar stuff, please point me in the right direction because this is my last bottle and I've had other bordeaux's, both cheaper and more expensive, that I have not enjoyed.

a tough one given the "meh" about other Bordeaux wines.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Mrs. Piob made me buy a bottle of Noveau today. Le sigh.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

She made you? What, pray tell, was her leverage?

Happy wife, happy life.

Also, ten years ago? Her convincing me to buy a bottle of wine? Unheard oh.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great night at Le Select Bistro. Could hardly focus on the play after dinner. (Terminus, a fabulous Abbey Theatre production. If it comes near you, you should grab tickets).

Began with my favourite Super Tuscan, which continues to be epic. A top 5 wine for me.

Then, our server Hugh bought out two more.

What a night.

:)

Last edited:

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great night at Le Select Bistro. Could hardly focus on the play after dinner. (Terminus, a fabulous Abbey Theatre production. If it comes near you, you should grab tickets).
Began with my favourite Super Tuscan, which continues to be epic. A top 5 wine for me.

Then, our server Hugh bought out two more.
What a night.
:slayer:

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Our server explained that a guy came in Friday with a girl. He was an oil gazillionaire playa and ordered up these two beauts. $3K. He bought out the bottles as the owner of the restaurant wanted to save them. They cost him $45 bucks a piece in '86!

As they opened the Lafite, the oxidation (?) made the wine splash out or something; about an ounce. The punter didn't seem to mind.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads