• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apparently he wasn't interested in making as much dry wine as the family would like and he didn't like the Hwang's focus on large commercial orders. Can't say I disagree with Pinguet, his demi-sec is one of my favorite whites.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Yeah, from the stuff I read, it sounded like owners wanted more dry because it moves faster and has less inventory cost, and also that Pinguet was upset that they'd save/allocate the best lots to larger orders instead of selling the wine as orders came in.
Either way, interesting stuff.

Now the question is, that I dont think has been answered, does Pinguet, at age 67, go on to another place? He was planning on retiring at age 70 anyway.

Sterling Gillette

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One of my wine glasses fell from the table. The stem broke in 10 pieces. The body was still intact.

I broke one of my Zalto Bordeaux recently (first Zalto I have ever broken). At least, the stem stayed intact and the body only lost it's top third so I can still use it as a somewhat oversized storm lantern while thinking about how good some wines tasted out of it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I had the '78 beychevelle last summer. Nice but over the hill. And I say that as a wine **********ac.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought some Chassagne Montrachet for dinner tonight. How far in advance should I decant?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
What vintage and producer?
I'd more than lijely say not to decant at all and pray for no premox

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Why are you decanting a white?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score

I never have but apparently it's not all that uncommon....

They recommended decanting two bottles into a magnum dexanter if one is slightly flawed? WTF

I assumed since it was an article about norcal wines theyd recommend decanting cal chard in hopes that some of the sugars would stay behind. :rimshot:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
most C-M rouge won't need much decanting. The examples I've had from Ramonet opened up quickly (there isn't much complexity to open up anyways). Even a tough 2005 would likely be fine now.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I think, by volume at least, more red comes from C-M than white. But the whites tends to be far superior. I still have a bunch in my cellar leftover from my wedding (and Manton has a bottle that we never got to cracking).

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I had the '78 beychevelle last summer. Nice but over the hill. And I say that as a wine **********ac.

I thought it was really good. How can you tell that it is over the hill?

To me there was blueberries on the nose, and lots of apple flavor on the finish. Honestly it reminded me a lot of the 2000 chateau de Bellevue.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads