1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I have Riedel cuvee prestige champagne flutes and mine aren't rolled. It has no lips at all

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Was out at a restaurant last night that uses similar grade Riedel- the edge isn't "sharp" as if it were hand cut... but there is no lip either. Pics?

3. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I tried to photograph the rim of a champagne glass next to a sauvignon blanc glass but couldn't get my phone's camera to stop focusing on the backsplash and focus instead on the glasses. The picture that was resulted is worthless. There is a very clear difference when looking at the glasses side by side. The SB glass refracts light the same way all the way to the rim. The champagne glass refracts light a little differently right below the rim, clearly where it's thicker. :foo:

4. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

i do have Riedel champagne glasses. Vitis, I believe. They're beautiful.

5. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I use Spiegalu and Zalto at home. Mostly Speigelau for everyday casual use.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

We have some Riedel Vinum flutes, only two left due to spontaneous breaks, and the edge is the usual one. Wonder if you got sold some knock offs? Stare at them for five minutes, and if they do not shatter, those are knock offs.

Seriously in love with the Schotts Tritan line up, Forte line for our wine glasses. We've got Burg, Bord (which we use as our universal red), and I need to buy a white universal and some flutes. They are so sturdy and never haze or anything. I'm using the Pure line up for rocks and collins glasses.

7. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Spieglau for me. Love them and don't worry at all when I break one (which isn't that often).

8. b1os

b1os Senior member

Spiegelau vinovino for white wine.
    Schott Zwiesel Schumann Bar Selection (tumbler, highball, longdrink, cocktail/Martini).
    Schott Zwiesel diva (Bord/universal red).

9. Nil

Nil Senior member

+1 on the Schott Zwiesel love. I've only broken one and that's because a glass mixing bowl fell off my drying rack directly onto the rim of the glass and then knocked it to the ground.

1 person likes this.
  10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I've got a bunch of Riedel Vinums we got as wedding presents. Nice glasses, no rolled edge for sure, but definitely very fragile. Once we need to buy some more, I'll probably be buying Schott or Spiegelau.

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

Schott Zwiesel also has mouth-blown glasses priced similar to Riedel's. Anyone tried them?

12. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

This plastic cup I'm drinking out of in my hotel room definitely has a rolled edge. OTOH, the Ferrari Perle I'm drinking is pretty good and a nice cheapish alternative to champers.

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Vox has some. They are like 18" high and huge. Looks like a big bobble head.

14. b1os

b1os Senior member

Oh, I've just checked and it's not Schott Zwiesel but Zwiesel 1872. So Schott Zwiesel is the lower end line. Much like Spiegelau (mid end; subsidiary firm of Nachtmann), Nachtmann (low end.. I pretty much hate all their glasses I've seen so far) and Riedel (high end) are all part of Riedel Glass Works.
    FWIW, I've got a few glasses of Riedel's vinum series (bord). They seem relatively sturdy. Not my favorite shape per se, but they look good and I got them basically for free.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  15. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I use the red Solo plastic cups (16oz). Beautiful lip on them. Very sturdy, have never has one break. I really like Ferrari, regularly drink the Rose.

16. hopkins_student

So Riedel says that's how the cuvee prestige is made and that all of the other glasses still have the cut and polished rim.

17. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

is it too late to exchange for some Schotts?

18. hopkins_student

Yes, I'd already taken the labels off when I discovered this deception. They seem like very elegant glasses in every other way so my disappointment has already begun to abate.

19. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

As I thought-

20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

i am drinking the kind of merlot that made miles violent