• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

Quatsch

Reaction score
The other day my aunt gifted me two bottles of wine - 1982 and 1989 Bordeauxs that she had. The 1982 is a Beau-Rivage from (I assume) Borie Manoux and carries the designation "Grand Vin," rather than "Grand Vin de Bordeaux" which was what I thought designated one of the seriously excellent producers. The 1989 is Mouton-Cadet from Rothschild. I gather both are from the Medoc and that those were both good vintages, but I don't believe either producer is anything special from my initial google search. Not that it matters, its still neat.

Are these wines likely to be past their prime? Were they originally capable of aging this long? I'm afraid that they probably haven't been stored as carefully as they could, and I'm a bit worried about being able to remove the cork when the time comes. Anything from a voice of experience on the subject would be helpful.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had an 09 ME SB. Drinking very nicely. Light cat piss, a little baking spice, white flowers on the nose. Palate confirms, along with a faint vanilla. Highly recommend.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I count three distinct smells that you say you could recognize.
I call bullshit!

I'm currently drinking a 2002 Schubert Syrah from New Zealand. Don't think I'm have a NZ Syrah before this. It's tossing off a ton of roasted and gamey meat scents. Very little fruit or floral or earth component. Very one dimensional, but still quite pleasant.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2006 Morgon from Marcel Lapierre - one of my favorite lighter reds and supposedly one of the most un-adulterated wines out there: no s02, no chaptalizing, no filtering, and no fining. Very complex for a gamay with layers of luscious fruit with a bit of black pepper. Threw a huge deposit for a wine so young...
I was sorry to hear he died this past Fall but it sounds as if his son is carrying on as he intended it.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quatsch
The other day my aunt gifted me two bottles of wine - 1982 and 1989 Bordeauxs that she had. The 1982 is a Beau-Rivage from (I assume) Borie Manoux and carries the designation "Grand Vin," rather than "Grand Vin de Bordeaux" which was what I thought designated one of the seriously excellent producers. The 1989 is Mouton-Cadet from Rothschild. I gather both are from the Medoc and that those were both good vintages, but I don't believe either producer is anything special from my initial google search. Not that it matters, its still neat. Are these wines likely to be past their prime? Were they originally capable of aging this long? I'm afraid that they probably haven't been stored as carefully as they could, and I'm a bit worried about being able to remove the cork when the time comes. Anything from a voice of experience on the subject would be helpful.
the mouton cadet's prolly way past its prime. its a cheap wine meant to be drunk young. i dont its a particularly good value even at the price (at least the ones i've had which were the two recent ones. i drank half a glass and the rest went in the pot)

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Robert Denogent Pouilly Fuisse. Really great wine. Best producer in the area by a good margin, IMO. Great bargain, though not cheap.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2005 Louis Jadot Pommard. Meh. Not a bad wine, but not cheap enough ($45 retail) to be this boring and one-dimensional.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Drew Cellars - Pinot Nior - Weir Vineyard - 2007

Very good, as good as any I've had from CA. $35 at the ritz kroger.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'98 Brunello di Montalcino, Vigna Spuntali, Angelini

inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif
inlove.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
^^^

Nice, that should be in a good mixture of mature enough to be great, but young enough to have a little grip

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2006 de Ladoucette Pouilly-FumÃ
00a9.png
. What a lovely wine. Paired it with a Chilean Sea Bass in a beurre blanc sauce. Not a great pairing. The butter sauce really needed a heftier wine. Didn't matter. The wine rose above my incompetent pairing. Citrus-y and acidic. Delicate without being wimpy.

Would buy again.

.bishop

Reaction score
enjoyed a nice L'Ecole 41 Merlot 2007 from columbia valley

was delish with my filet last night.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^As I have mentioned before, I'm nostalgically fond of l'ecole. First had their Riesling about 20 years ago... was the first wine I remember wanting more of and creasted my interest in wines. Have not had anything from them in some time now.

Interesting that 20 years later I'd come to realize just how good the wines of Walla Walla are in general.

.bishop

Reaction score
i love all of l'ecole, in fact i stumbled upon them at a restaurant, but had a glass of their Perigee from Seven Hills.

I ended up getting 6 of their 07 Merlots and 6 of their Cab's from columbia, and 6 of the Perigee's and Apogee's.

A vineyard I think most ppl overlook!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads