• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dunno, for $19 I think I would always reach for an entry level Drouhin instead.

I wuss out when it comes to buying even entry-level Burgs because I think a) I'm not sure I'll get something decent for a low price and b) I don't want to start myself on an even more slippery slope to financial insolvency.

i think it's best to enjoy cru B for the enjoyment of cru B, not as a replacement of Burgundy or something like that.

I do enjoy cru Beaujolais, but I don't find myself drinking it alot. I have no idea or reason why.

I suppose having little to no experience with Burgs comes in handy here. Am enjoying these cheap-ish wines without the burden of comparison.

I think I've posted pics of that bottling I've been buying for $13 or $14 and finding quite enjoyable. A Morgon.

I tried a Morgon recently that seems to be imported more or less only to these parts (still in central VA for a few more weeks). I didn't love it--wasn't giving up much of any flavor, really. But I'll work my way through the various crus unless I get tired of Beaujolais and move on to some new cheap region.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very un-Riesling Riesling.
Lemon and honey, sweet, little minerality. Just OK- perhaps a bit old.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting...

Still working on finding my perfect "house" Riesling--simple, something I can open up anytime without feeling like I'm breaking the bank. Currently, going with the Doennhoff estate Riesling, though that's hard as it's right at $20, and for $22, you can get their Oberhaeuser Leistenberg, which is definitely nicer, but getting a bit more than I want to crack open all the time. The Steinmetz estate Riesling is another great buy... Going to get another couple of bottles soon to refine my opinion a bit.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

True to a degree, but many of the things I enjoy about Burgundy can be found in Cru B for a much more reasonable price. Not going to replace Burgundy of course, but as something I can afford to drink more often? Dollar for dollar, you can get a lot more for your money in Cru B, with some similar characteristics to Burgundy. There's something to be said for that.

Now, as Manton said, you can always just go for an entry level Drouhin or whatever. But you could also spend $30 and get a Cru B that is an impressively elegant wine. Hard to find that in Burgundy.

I had a Guy Breton Regnie 2009 recently that was just wonderful.

Granted, there are definitely better values out there. But I do enjoy something a bit lighter like Cru B or Burgundy.

The Breton Regnie is very good.

Like Gomey I like Cru Beaujolais for what it is. Hell, I love it for what it is. Still, I don't think there is a ton of good stuff made, and it is generally in the 25-35 range where you find really elegant wines from the crus.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Breton Regnie is very good.

Like Gomey I like Cru Beaujolais for what it is. Hell, I love it for what it is. Still, I don't think there is a ton of good stuff made, and it is generally in the 25-35 range where you find really elegant wines from the crus.

Now that I'll agree with--it's not a budget wine in the sense of a $15 weeknight wine. But for $25-$30, there arent many better, more elegant wines out there in my mind--from the better producers of course. Of which there are not a ton, to your point.

Good news about fewer producers though is it makes it much easier to learn the wines and what is going to be good and bad. Very little "anyone heard of this?" You pretty much know if it's going to be in that top tier immediately :D

Last edited:

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good discussion of cru beaujolais - one of my favorites too.

I've been making my way through this book that Slewfoot recommended at some point on Italian wines:
http://www.amazon.com/Vino-Italiano...&qid=1358307921&sr=1-1&keywords=vino+italiano
and in the process of reading up on Sicily came to try and really enjoy these two bottles from COS

They remind me very much of the kind of cru beaujolais I enjoy - namely the Morgons of Lapierre and Foillard and Brouillys of Thivin and Pacalet. Fairly light in alcohol, good grip, long, and very food-friendly. Highly recommended for something a little different.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, Tattersall. I know almost nothing about Italian wines--something I shall have to remedy one of these days. I put that book on my Amazon list, looks very helpful.

Suppose my first step would be to figure out who the better importers are...

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night had a 2011 Arnot-Roberts North Coast Syrah at dinner. Typically I'm not a fan of California Syrah but this wine was totally different. If not for a very pronounced black pepper note I would have tagged it as Northern Rhone and probably still would if tasted blind. Only 12.9% abv, which is probably as low as I've had out of a California Syrah. I think retail it's around $40, and I don't see it as a great value, but it's certainly a very well-made wine.

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few fellow wine geeks have spoken highly of the Arnot Roberts syrahs, describing them as you have. A local wine shop has some and I think I will try a bottle.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I had a phelps pinot at a party last night and I liked it a lot.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had an 08 southern Rhone that Lynch imported. Granted it was just a $15 bottle but did not think it was worth the money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads