• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

loveswatching

Reaction score

Well, if you have any doubt about the AEs and they are 11E, I'm sure I could help take them off your hands. :)

They were size 12 E and sorry i just sold them :-(

OliT

Reaction score
Short story to share:

Picked up a pair of LVC 1954 from the Levi's store in San Francisco when I visited earlier this year. Really like the model from before and decided to do an impulse buy.
Anyways, got home, and upon putting them on for the first real wear, the pocket ripped. So, I got in touch with Levi's to see about a solution. After fighting with them over shipping charges (as I had to return them to the U.S.) they agreed to actually send me two pairs of jeans as reimbursement for my issues. Got them last week.

While waiting for them though, I've been putting a lot of wear on my Ruell & Rays, as well as the pair of black Tellasons I got from the crapshoot, and this past weekend, while visiting Berlin, I popped in to a great store there (14oz) to try some other fits. As it turns out, the 1954's are no longer my favorites.

I'm thinking that since I now have two BNWT pairs, I should be able to sell them and buy Tellasons or other great stuff with the monehs. Guess the ripped pocket was a good thing, eh?

div25sec9

Reaction score

I went to it- nada

Plus I hate value village on the weekends, I don't even think they restock.

I hear ya... i feel the same way, I don't even go Mondays either because they don't even get much out by then either.

for the rest of the group, does Savers / Value Village run a club card in the the States? It rarely is of any use; and isn't exclusive, so most frequent shoppers there have one.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hear ya... i feel the same way, I don't even go Mondays either because they don't even get much out by then either.

for the rest of the group, does Savers / Value Village run a club card in the the States? It rarely is of any use; and isn't exclusive, so most frequent shoppers there have one.

They run a club card, but I've never found a use for it. I think I have two...

klay49

Reaction score

Several people have found Austrian jackets and questioned how they're worn. Here is an example I took of a guy wearing one. Not particularly well dressed, but I thought you guys might be interested nonetheless.

It looks like that guy is trying to steal something from that ladies purse

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks, much appreciated!
Nice find, but just looking at them makes my back hurt..

Heh! Well, I haven't sat in one for a long time, but they actually feel pretty comfortable. I'll have to try one while on a Call of Duty binge, and see if it wrecks me!

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

am i the only one who has the most fun sorting through ties? i dk, something about it makes it more exciting/interesting than anything else

Glad you like it, but I'm not with you. I do look at ties pretty much every time I thrift, because they're cheap and fairly easily flipped. But I'm often just horrified at the the fact that someone went to the trouble of manufacturing most of them!

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
am i the only one who has the most fun sorting through ties? i dk, something about it makes it more exciting/interesting than anything else
I LOVE sifting through a huge bin of prehung ties. There's GOLD in them thar hills!

NicNac

Reaction score
Looking for some expertise.

I thrifted a brand new with tags Brooks Brothers Madison sports coat? Or is it an orphan suit jacket?

It still has the basting on the shoulders and looks like it has surgeon's cuffs but no buttons or button holes. Is this normal? I am not too familiar with Brooks Bros as I live in Canada.

Sorry for the poor pics.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers 1818 Madison fit suit coat (orphan). Check the pockets for a packet of buttons...they would have been attached by the tailor after altering if needed.
EDIT to add: you may want to go back and look for the pants.

Last edited:

mbishop

Reaction score

Most of the time the tie display is at shoulder height and bending down to sort through ties is back breaking work!

Around here they are usually waist high, resulting in odd squatting position. Especially awkward at the place where they are right in front of the changing room doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads