• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is not typical. My tailor who has a attitude from time to time have been tailoring my pleated shirts and she never complains about that. Maybe it's time to explore other options.

well what about the price. she says that with pleats on the back when she brings the sides in she also needs to alter the back.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

well what about the price. she says that with pleats on the back when she brings the sides in she also needs to alter the back.

I've always thought of tailors like I think of auto mechanics. Once you find one you like, stick with 'em, and never howl about price.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

so guys, a bit off topic but still pertains to thrifting...my tailor has been chastising me lately for bringing in shirts with pleats on the back. saying how hard it is to tailor and how much it costs (would have costed like $30/shirt to tailor to fit me).

is this typical? or should i find a new tailor?

He may just be looking out for you and recommending that, if you want a slim fit, you buy shirts without pleats in the first place to save yourself the trouble/cost. If he knew you were paying 5 bucks a shirt and the tailoring cost is worth it to you, he might change his tune.

If you're having darts added to a shirt that has pleats, he may just think it looks bad, since the darts and pleats are working at cross purposes. I'd agree with that.

Last edited:

staxringold

Reaction score
Welp, I'll get lost in the post-Andro shuffle (awesome haul, BTW), but my meager finds. Burned some time in a GW yesterday, got the itch, so went out today.

Minty fresh pink striped Gitman Bros (16 neck, so available), 2x recent Zegna, old Dunhill

Last edited:

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've always thought of tailors like I think of auto mechanics. Once you find one you like, stick with 'em, and never howl about price.

yea. i did just move and found this one through yelp. she gets outstanding reviews and has done some work with which i was pleased. but $30+ for tailoring a shirt seems a bit high - pleats or not.

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Alright, here's the ****. Spoilered because it's a billion pics.

Ferragamo Kilties, mint Brother Wright (cool old (probably pre-1960s) USA made shoes), Ferragamo suede women's flats.

NWT recent Armani, NWT recent Canli, recent Stefano Ricci (probably the nicest, most wearable, and softest tie I've thrifted), Hermes, Vineyard Vines Bulls & Bears
BB Golden Fleece, VV, Ricci, good Lanvin
Ted Baker, Talbott BOC x2

Someone unloaded their entire collection of infinitely wearable CT ties x7

Marmot goose down puffer for the GF

\

Harris Tweed full length overcoat

SC-able Isaia, Harris Tweed, BB hopsack, Oxxford

Paul Frederick (don't care..it's the sickest SC of theirs I've seen. Triple patch pockets), WM Fox & Co. true madras, recent Canali, recent PRL corneliani (3/2, side vent)

Berle (for me, sick pattern), FF Zanella, Zanella
FF Zanella, FF Santorelli, Burberry flannel

FF BB Madison linen, Oxxford, Belvest
Zegna, current label Zegna, recent Samuelsohn x2

One of the sickest Oxxfords I've picked up(ticket pocket, working cuffs, heavyweight flannel, FF pants)

Chester Barrie

1959 Wealeson & Legate bespoke suit (Sackville, off-row)

Tommy Nutter SR (RTW, not bespoke...still, first Nutter I've seen in person), James & James bespoke tux jacket (Old Burlington street, off-row), recent Canali, BB Loro Piana

PRL lambswool card with MOP buttons, BB pure cashmere v-neck, Peter Millar cashmere blend 1/4 zip
Zegna merino wool, BB made in England lambswool

Recent-ish HF full belted topcoat

Zegna x4
Jeff Rose, Paul & Shark, Bills Khaki
Canali, Graham x2

Nicest CT slim fit I've seen, Ben Silver, Ben Silver, Zegna
Peter Millar x3
Versace, Barbour, Dunhill

Eton, Etro, Luciano Barbera
Pendleton lightweight shacket, NWT Pendleton, Vintage Woolrich shacket

Sulka (the oldest date-confirmed shirt I've found...dated July 1959. Gorgeous), Ferragamo, RLPL
RLPL x3 (last is linen, SS)
Talbott Estate Bespoke, Willis & Geiger Poplin/Safari shirt
Sidenote on the Talbott: this is the nicest shirt I've ever handled. Blows Fray/Kiton/Charvet et al. away. Everything is hand done. The MOP buttons are ******* massive, and they are attached like SC buttons. See pics below. I was blown away...amazing shirt.

BB Cable knit tennis sweater

Awesome tank of a BB sweater, made in Denmark

Nataku signal!!

Cower before my h4xx0rz MS Paint skillz!!

Is this something cool, and any idea on the age?

USA made, real MOP buttons, split side gusset. Just seemed well made overall.

Also, is this something cool and how old? Because it seems super cool. It weighs exactly 47.2 trillion pounds, button fly, looks unique. Is that "9/63" the year?

I must say, those are some sexy nutters.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nataku signal!! Cower before my h4xx0rz MS Paint skillz!!
Is this something cool, and any idea on the age? USA made, real MOP buttons, split side gusset. Just seemed well made overall. Also, is this something cool and how old? Because it seems super cool. It weighs exactly 47.2 trillion pounds, button fly, looks unique. Is that "9/63" the year?
:laugh: Haha, love it! That is an amazing haul! Well done! I don't think that particular shirt is anything special. I'd say early to mid 70's. Those pants look awesome. Unfortunately I don't know very much when it comes to foreign military stuff. I think someone mentioned they were from the UK. I sold a similar pair of swedish wool military pants that also weighed in close to 47.2 trillion pounds and had a button fly. Got $35-ish I think. Not terribly valuable but very cool nonetheless.
Anyone remember the page or post for nats camo guide? I gotta save that somewhere on my phone.
Here ya go! :) The Camo Guide
My knowledge is pretty limited to stuff that is either Vietnam era or US camo stuff. I still thought a visual aid might be helpful for those of you who may come across this stuff and wonder if it's worth a pick up. Here are some patterns that are very desirable. HBT camo. Used in the Pacific Theater during WWII. The pattern is strikingly similar to the "duck hunter" pattern used since the end of WWII throughout the 80's for commercial sportswear and hunting clothing. The duck hunter pattern was also used by the ARVN and US Special Forces in Vietnam. The HBT pattern is different though. It is printed on Herringbone Twill cotton. The garments have two sides (reversible); a fall side and a spring/summer side. Very rare and sought after. This pattern was also used to make packs and bags as well. I've only once found a HBT camo piece in my thrifting career and it was this past spring. It was a cover-all suit in near mint condition. It was also taken from my cart when I wasn't looking. :fu: :brick:
Mitchell Camo. Super easy to spot but insanely rare. I've never seen any in person before. Developed during Korea. Some leftovers were used early on in Vietnam.
Tiger stripe. This can be tricky as it is kind of popular and has been reissued. If it has a green label that looks like this, pass. Also notice how the colors are darker. This is a later issue style that was used by US Special Forces in the 80's. Not very desirable.
The good tiger stripe will look like this (brighter colors)
And most good ones will not have any markings/tags at all or will have a stamp that looks like this (however there are exceptions):
A-M stands for Asian Medium. The US ones will say US-M (for US Medium). ERDL camo. Use started in 1968. This is easier to find than Tiger Stripe, but still is scarce these days. Most were issued standard OD-Green poplin stuff.
This is easily mistaken for the modern day Woodland, especially the brown dominant pattern. Notice in the ERDL that the printing was different. The colors are a little more blured together. The Woodland (Shown below) has crisp borders of each color. Woodland is basically worthless.
A non camo item worth looking at are Vietnam era jungle pants. They are OD green and made of rip-stop cotton poplin. If you were to get lucky and find any Vietnam era jungle fatigues, you'd likely find a jacket. The pants were usually worn into the ground and trashed so they're pretty scarce. The jackets don't have much demand since there are still a bunch out there but these pants bring in some $$.

Last edited:

Lirum

Reaction score
Also, is this something cool and how old? Because it seems super cool. It weighs exactly 47.2 trillion pounds, button fly, looks unique. Is that "9/63" the year?

I believe this is 70s-80s era. They're German, actually, atleast every pair I was able to find online while researching was. That blacked out bar is probably hiding a German name. Mine are in minty condition, but they're bid at around $50 right now on the bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads