• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also saw these ties at TJ Maxx. According from the tags, they're from Dec 2012. Anyone know which line these fall under? I'd guess BBBF since they were skinny ties, but I've never seen this particular label.
From what I understand that is BB kids line.

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too tired to post pics so I'll just post old-skool text-like. Hit a couple TJX, Goodwills, and a honey hole. Spent 10 hours driving & shopping. The take-home:
- Two PRL 100% silk sweaters, NWT.
- One pair BB 1818 Madison dress trousers, NWT.
- One pair PRL Preston corduroy pants, NWT.
- One 'luxe Canali 3/4 length quilted jacket, made in Italy.
- One Audi R8 jacket, like new, dealer item.
- One Barbour Zenith waxed cotton jacket, zero flaws found.
- One Pal Zileri sport coat, Italy.
- One Corneliani silk / wool sport coat, Italy (gotta price brag this one - six bucks!)
- One Barneys New York sort of motorcycle jacket-style coat.
- One PRL bi-swing jacket, NWT.
- One VV sweater vest, NWT.
- One RLBL shirt, NWT, Italy.
- One Peter Millar cashmere blend sweater, NWT.
- One BB pincord multi-color stripe sport coat.
- One BB silk / wool sport coat, Italy.
- One Samuelsohn sport coat.
- One PRL linen/cotton vest, NWT.
- Two Spiewak coats (Golden Fleece, and I. Spiewak & Sons).
- Couple other thingies. . . .

...local TJX's were having super-clearance - selling for ~10% of original retail price. RLBL Italy shirts tagged $365, clearance at $39 - stuff like that. Sick.

Might keep the Barbour for myself - my size, and while I've come across a fair number of them lately, this is the first with zero issues / wear. All the rest NA - destined for eBay.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...I managed to thrift my way to a down payment for a house over the summer (only 3% down, but still). Working toward the garage remodel now.
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

Did the same here - managed to thrift & resale to rake up the $ needed to pack & move cross-country and become a first-time homeowner last summer - ditto the 3% down. The joys of home ownership, right?!

Randomore

Reaction score
Went looking for that PRL tweed bag. Didn't find it but... I found about 8 pairs of Pantharella socks for 3 a pop... Went to pay and manager charged me for only 1 pair and thanked me for finally getting rid of them. :)

alexei

Reaction score

Picked up these two ties today; first time I've seen Luciano Barbera cashmere at TJ Maxx. $195 --> $39 each

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I picked up those exact same ties, along with a burgundy. I love the brown but find I never wear the purple. The texture is too smooth IMO.

alexei

Reaction score
This one's actually grey. Here's a pic w/ flash. It shows the grey more accurately, but the other pic shows the purple more accurately. Agree on rarity of purple in rotation, but cool regardless. There was a silk knit LB also that I passed on, same price.

Pawz

Reaction score
Got home and found a tiny hole near the collar where the damn tag was.

One of the thrift stores here has begun piercing the CUFFS of the shirts it gets with those hang tags. 'Pierce' is too weak a word, more like they GORE the things. I complained about it, but no one seemed to think my grievance was worth their time to hear. The shirts at this particular place are individually priced, adding to the issue. I've yet to find anything nice there as it's likely the owners know what's 'good' and what isn't, and likely make extra money on the side via EBAY.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Came across a store Friday that had two giant staple-like metal rings pierce/goring the uppers of all their leather shoes to hold them together. WTF. Their suits were all $49.99 for stafford and the like. I turned around and walked out.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Saw RL bags at an OC TJX... All they had were the wool buffalo check bags in green or red. Same pricing, though there were some larger bags as well. Definite tweed envy over here. Picked up this cool little tool the other day. It's a needle for fixing pulls in fabrics. The knurled end grabs the thread as you push it back through the original hole and it pulls it down into place. Thought it was pretty cool, works like a charm.
Need! Where can I find one?

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One of the thrift stores here has begun piercing the CUFFS of the shirts it gets with those hang tags. 'Pierce' is too weak a word, more like they GORE the things. I complained about it, but no one seemed to think my grievance was worth their time to hear. The shirts at this particular place are individually priced, adding to the issue. I've yet to find anything nice there as it's likely the owners know what's 'good' and what isn't, and likely make extra money on the side via EBAY.

One of my local stores took to putting security tags on Everything, including piercing the seats of pants. Why couldn't they put a hole in the pocket instead?

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I'll confirm what you thought and everyone else said...that is awesome!
EDITED: WTF??? Why did this quote the wrong person? Was meant for Chet Baker Sings. You're in Utah? I'm surprised you find anything beyond jorts! :rotflmao:
I read that last night and re-read my post. I couldn't figure out how I'd given the impression that I lived in Utah. I'm glad I saw your edit :)
Obligatory snow pics.
Looks like she's about to nail you with a snowball!
Picked up this cool little tool the other day. It's a needle for fixing pulls in fabrics. The knurled end grabs the thread as you push it back through the original hole and it pulls it down into place. Thought it was pretty cool, works like a charm.
Need! Where can I find one?
+1, that thing looks really useful!
Same here. I just bought an engagement ring a couple weeks ago and the knowledge I've taken away from this thread and its regular posters helped me pay for it. Anyone looking for jewelry hit up in stitches (user name is "in stitches"), he's a gent and did a great job with getting me a fantastic ring.
I really want to buy a piece of jewelry from stitches, just for the experience. I also hope that piece of jewelry happens to be a pinky ring because I can't imagine trying to keep a straight face while shopping for a pinky ring. :D
Lol, naw bro. I've just been super stoked because I picked up my Ibanez w/Wizard neck last week and I've been playing at 280 bmp, 16th notes on stacking and arpeggios. Trying to get up to 300 bmp, 16th notes.
^ There are so many words in there that I don't understand, but I'll say congrats anyway because it's clear that you're happy with it! :happy:
Im working on something epic. :)
If it involves a retail store, I'll book my flight now.
Did the same here - managed to thrift & resale to rake up the $ needed to pack & move cross-country and become a first-time homeowner last summer - ditto the 3% down. The joys of home ownership, right?!
...I managed to thrift my way to a down payment for a house over the summer (only 3% down, but still). Working toward the garage remodel now.
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
Well done to both of you. It's a mandatory 20% down here, which explains the relatively "old" (being purely relative to other European countries) age of first time home buyers.
Picked up these two ties today; first time I've seen Luciano Barbera cashmere at TJ Maxx. $195 --> $39 each
Beautiful ties!

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was going to the movies with my girl and friend. Event cancelled due to conflict of scheduling. Pretty bummed. What cares the blues better than playing dress up?

Shirt: Billy Reid button down. Bought it on discount by me.
Tie: Thomas Pink. Thrifted by me. Bought by my girl as a present.
Waistcoat: Orvis wool. Traded with Ken P.
Jacket: Harris Tweed by Southwick for CCC. Thrifted by me.
PS: Manhattan. Thrifted by me.
Jeans: LVC 1966. Bought on discount by me.
Shoes: AE. Traded with JP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads