• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious to what was the term people were using for "cost them close to nothing".
Ex: I paid ________ for this.

"****"

I've had good luck w/ some of the dress shirts lately, so I'm going to give it a shot posting some pants that are not my size. All are available.
Luciano Barbera 34 X 33 flat front and cuffed.
Brioni 32 X 33.5 pleated and cuffed
EM'S of MASON'S 36 X 34.5 flat front no cuffs
Incotex "Chino Lino" 34 X 29 flat front no cuffs
Incotex 34 X 27.5 (w/ 2.5" to let) flat front no cuffs
Ermenegildo Zegna 34 X 28 pleated and cuffed

Pants off dance off!

When people say that something is available does that mean that it is currently listed on B/S or that if someone PM's them they will give it for what they bought it for?

It could mean whoever makes an offer first, gets the item or it's available on B/S or sometimes, even Ebay. But the price usually is a bit higher than thrift. When it says "available at cost" means whoever gets at me first, wins the item cost plus shipping.

If an Isaia with a hole was recent and fit me, I'd totally take a chance on the thrift price and send it to a reweaver to see if it could be fixed. Even if it cost $100-150, it'd be a bargain.

+1

Clearly I need to get to the city more often.
Seriously though, all donations help; for profits (v.v., talize) pay the associated charity by weight before the goods are sorted so if its on the floor there its because of lazy backroom staff, or they thought the label was enough to sell it, and goodwill/sa can bundle unsold clothes and flip them to textile re-manufacturers.
You sure none of that stuff is on the block
thumbs-up.gif

PM sent.
biggrin.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150958588254&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

REALLY hope that the inseam number she gave is a mistake and the one in the picture is right, which is what I'm thinking. If it is, I just got a hell of a deal, but if not someone I'll just be offering them up cost+ship here and somenoe else will get a hell of a deal

Man, that's a great deal! I wish I could gain 2 inches on my waist over night!

Any chance you could go back for this? I'm always in need of nice staple shirts. That is, if Brianpore hasn't gotten on you about it already.

Hey bud, another member asked me about this. If he passes, you can have it.

Thrift fit

Paul Stuart wool/cashmere SC
Paul Stuart silk knit
Brooks Brothers OCBD
Brooks Brothers flannels
Brooks Brothers/Alden tassels (clearance sale)

Totally gonna steal this look!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Better do this before Andro drops the bomb:

Von Zipper Aviators - ($0.99 - N/A)

Dunn & Co. Harris Tweed (super heavy, awesome buttons)

4x Paul Stuart Suits (all around about 21/22 p2p, 25/26 sleeves w/ surgeon's cuffs, 18/19 shoulder, 32 length, 2x forward pleats, single vent, canvassed, very high quality)

Navy Pinstripe (Stuart II, Super 120s - Available)

Gray Flannel Stripe (Available)

Brown Herringbone (Available)

Gray Birdseye (N/A for now)

And my first Savile Row Find - Absolute BALLER Coat (N/A)

The waist suppression on this thing is extreme, about a 21 p2p down to an 18 waist.

From Hicks & Sons (which was later bought by Denman & Godard)

Check out these hacking pockets:

Few more deets:

Handstitching

Working two- (leather) button cuffs

That is all.

drool.gif

Since I have nothing else to contribute, heres a thrift fit pic,
BR trench (ebay, pre-SF days)
PRL canary yellow ocbd
RL Rugby shawl collar cardigan
Topman trousers (not thrifted)
Peal & Co for BB captoes
60's Indian silk knit tie
Coach braided leather belt

Show off!
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

ilikethelights

Reaction score

I had to use all my strength to squash all suits and shirts to one side and heard a nasty cracking sound of all the coat hangers splintering.

I think the way men's sections are anywhere over here I break at least one hangar per visit just sliding things into a browseable position

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OK. Number one thrifting pet peeve. It's not volume flippers, loud and crazy people, non-showerers, people who insist on testing stereos by playing them at max volume for way too long... none of that.

Number one pet peeve is rich assholes who donate their destroyed clothes to these stores, where they sit and clog up shelf space for weeks. Had to pass on a gorgeous Isaia suit in my size because of a dime-sized hole in the sleeve and a Paul Smith jacket because of two rips in the back.

Do people just think charities are their personal garbage bins? Or that the poor will wear anything, no matter how damaged? Or are they just thinking about their tax returns? Whatever it is... gah.

Having said all that, pretty good day. Couple Kiton shirts, some APC jeans, some Pantherella socks. Not bad at all.

I've been to Alex's reweavery in Los Angeles. Hands down the BEST reweaver tailor probably in the U.S. Zegna even sends items from there as I saw many boxes from their HQ location. I've gone to Alexs for 3 small holes in a suit I picked up from B&S (seller didnt see the holes so he reimbursed me) and this was a POW pattern. They did a phenomenal job. Depending on the size and how many, you'll spend around $100

Xenos

Reaction score

I've been to Alex's reweavery in Los Angeles. Hands down the BEST reweaver tailor probably in the U.S. Zegna even sends items from there as I saw many boxes from their HQ location. I've gone to Alexs for 3 small holes in a suit I picked up from B&S (seller didnt see the holes so he reimbursed me) and this was a POW pattern. They did a phenomenal job. Depending on the size and how many, you'll spend around $100

+1. I have some pieces there now. Exceptional work. Prior damage becomes invisible.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am thinking of changing the way I look for stuff in thrift stores and perhaps cut my time in half by focussing predominantly in the womans section.
Insane amounts of volume thrifters lately OCD'ing in the menswear section and I am unable to be the early bird at these venues. I arrived half an hour after opening time to find 2 woman with carts overflowing with menswear and at least 4 other guys with stuff in all sizes reamed over their arms.
It is hard work flipping through racks where the 4 GW's I like to frequent have a nasty habit of bunching stuff up making it a tough gig to shift items over. I had to use all my strength to squash all suits and shirts to one side and heard a nasty cracking sound of all the coat hangers splintering. The woman's sections are remarkably well organized, the mens sections are awful to flip through.
I did find a NWOB AE shoes completely unworn. They were in the changing rooms which I do check from time to time. That was just dumb luck. Also picked up an Armani Black Label suit nestled in the womans clothing section. For me, in the woman's section, could have walked away with a Paul Stuart single breasted cashmere overcoat with leather trim on sleeves, lapels, and back - but jacket was orange and leather trim was dark brown - absolutely hideous looking. Decided to leave it there.
Rant over, I am quite pissed off since I worked ****** off today and now have a headache from constantly having to move stuff aside and having 3 or four people surrounding me competitively lifting gear. In the woman's section, wonderful clarity and few ladies and a better probability of finding some nice mens gear hidden in there.

Dang, that sucks, Klobber. It will eventually come to that around here too. I am seeing more and more volume flippers. Carts piled high with anything that holds any value at all. I've noticed this too; the menswear section has like 8 people (3/4 of them being women) frantically flipping through the racks and the women's section has a few older ladies scattered about slowly examining each piece of clothing they pick out. It's getting ridiculous....

Last edited:

tubeman

Reaction score
Not exactly a brag but something I thought was funny. I had a Craigslist ad looking for a pair of selvedge Nudie Sharp Bengt jeans and some guy emailed me the other day saying he had a pair of selvedge Nudie Lab jeans in my size. I met up with him today to check them out since he was asking a really good price for them and it turns out the "selvedge" was just a strip of fabric that has the selvedge colors that is sewn into the seam so it shows when you cuff them.
I took a few photos of it. I didnt realize Nudie did stuff like that. Why not just make the damn things selvedge? The weird part is that the fabric they use for the "selvedge" doesnt even look like denim close up.

Unless of course they werent real Nudies. There is always the possibility that they were knockoffs. I know the Nudie Lab denim is priced pretty high on ebay.

Here are some pics of my Nudie Grim Tim. I'd have to guess that your are fake, you can see the selvedge seam is actually folded over and sewn. The other pic pf the stitching shows the yellow thread "trailing off" upward which is a "signature stitching" on all Nudies. Sorry brother.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you know if they accept shipping and send them back after they are done?

This is some really remarkable facial expression consistency.

lol8[1].gif
EZ stands at the same spot, too!

Randomore

Reaction score
Pick ups from last 2 days.

Apc and Steven Alan. Size Small. Available.

Canali zegna zegna ties. Available

Bonobos awesome shirt wish it fit. Tagged XXL. Fits like a XL. Available.

BB tweed. Tagged 46R. 3 2 roll, single vent. available.

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gotta be in LA? No web service?

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can ship to them, at least according to reviews on Yelp. This was what I planned on doing when I get around to reweaving a few things I need done.

EDIT: Haha, jinx...what JackFlash said.

Gotta be in LA? No web service?

Last edited:

Randomore

Reaction score
Forgot these.

AE Birmingham size 12 C. Might keep these.

Also stack of more albums. Prob same donor. Zeppelin bob Dylan more stones etc

Also Wes got the vest fits great. Thanks.

Last edited:

Sand

Reaction score
Hello,

Just thought i would post two of my recent finds.

Nothing much, but pretty happy with them. And they were a steal at 3$ each.
It's pretty hard to find the same quality-stuff here in scandinavia, and its a bit more expensive.

Maybe Albert Hal is hugging all the good stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads