• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yywwyy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know there's a couple of Creed threads already but you guys are out in the real world everyday. I'm trying to find a brick and mortar store that I can actually go into and sample one or more Creed products. Any thoughts?
I've found one or two bottles in some of the mall perfume stores but they won't let me sample any of it. I see it might be at Neiman Marcus but still no idea about sampling it.
I'm interested in starting a small collection of Creed scents but based on my daily, single spritz use of my spray bottle of Polo (Green), whatever I buy will likely last for years. Outside of Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, Himalaya and Original Vetiver, I have no clue what to look for and I'm not even sure which of those four to try first.
Anyone have any thoughts? Anyone find any bottles of the stuff on a GW/SA shelf? Get at me!
[

Hey,

Saks Fifth Ave had the entire Creed collection to sample when I was there.

Last edited:

Vintage Leather

Reaction score

Sure...thanks. Best I can do with an iPhone. Any information appreciated.

Also, major thanks to Androfan for an awesome trade!

Like Spoo said, it's most likely shearling. However, it could also be sheared beaver. What does the pelt feel like?
(insert appropriate crude joke.)

Beaver is a denser fur, and a bit more oily.

ocooney

Reaction score

url="/t/9006/the-official-thrift-discount-store-bragging-thread/54375#post_5907299"[/SPOILER]]
Like Spoo said, it's most likely shearling. However, it could also be sheared beaver. What does the pelt feel like?
(insert appropriate crude joke.)
Beaver is a denser fur, and a bit more oily.

Many thanks to you and Spoo for the responses.
I really have no experience with fur and I was simply struck by the softness of this. Doesn't feel oily, nor as dense as my wife's vintage seal coat.
I'll work under the assumption that it is shearling.
And largely irrelevant as my wife has claimed it.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm...what's this?
Kiton overcoat? And I just found a Kiton tie...nice

Mmmm....cashmere

Cool button details

Fur collar? So soft it has to be something good...mink? Sable? I have no idea.

Knee length. Awesome.
The downside? It's a woman's coat.
:fu::fu::fu:

Dang - that's a crazy score, too bad it would be crazier if it were a men's! Sucks that women don't care one way or another about tailored clothing.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, Im going to post in the label thread, but have you guys ever seen this? Vintage Polo made in Spain? Its a new one for me...

You invading my territory?

I saw the same labels on a navy blazer last week and thought the Made in Spain to be very odd. I never knew Polo had sourced jackets from a Spanish maker. It was a nice jacket, just a bit dated.

Last edited:

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Dang - that's a crazy score, too bad it would be crazier if it were a men's! Sucks that women don't care one way or another about tailored clothing.

Some do. The trend is slow to take hold and fuller figured women generally aren't going to look good with this aesthetic. But if we can get women away from fast fashion, all the better.

http://www.annmashburn.com/

http://tomboystyle.blogspot.com/

Well, I don't subscribe to Details magazine. Hey, weren't you the guy who was defending some NYC short pants wearing dude from Topeka, Kansas?
And, it's been 12 hrs or so since I posted and not a single PM on the LP. Looks like it's button chopping time!

Trust me on this dude, a denim LP shirt marketed in the right way is worth good money.

Buy mother of pearl buttons by the pound.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/320841732593?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I'm guessing that's how such a crazy item would end up in a thrift store.

Vintage Leather

Reaction score

What's really sad is that the women's clothing that is flattering, made out of great materials, and has a mildly obscene original retail has very little resale value.
I'm talking about labels like Akris, Oscar de la Renta, Carolina Herrera. Original retail of $1000-15,000 and I come across it at thrift and consignment shops for $50-$150. I see the H&M crap priced as high.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I don't subscribe to Details magazine. Hey, weren't you the guy who was defending some NYC short pants wearing dude from Topeka, Kansas?
And, it's been 12 hrs or so since I posted and not a single PM on the LP. Looks like it's button chopping time!

LOL

pm sent!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's really sad is that the women's clothing that is flattering, made out of great materials, and has a mildly obscene original retail has very little resale value.
I'm talking about labels like Akris, Oscar de la Renta, Carolina Herrera. Original retail of $1000-15,000 and I come across it at thrift and consignment shops for $50-$150. I see the H&M crap priced as high.

Yup, I hear ya. Saw some beautiful Kiton windowpane sportcoats on the bay that were women's and they barely scraped the $50 mark.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yup, I hear ya. Saw some beautiful Kiton windowpane sportcoats on the bay that were women's and they barely scraped the $50 mark.

If only that was the case with mens... My closet would be bulging at the seams with high-end goodies.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think it's partially due to men being more obsessive about stuff than women in general (i've never seen a female baseball card or comic book collector, for example). but mostly i think it's due to the fact that men have been brainwashed into the whole timeless style thing. makes us more likely to spend $$$ on something if we think that it's somehow justified by being timeless and outside of trendiness. which is not the case. we think we're smarter than we really are. :foo:

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Whew, it's been a while since I posted something more substantial than a stupid meme or sarcastic comment.

Good day today:

Pull Pal Zileri red/brown houndstooth SC, 54L (fits like 42L), available for trade or cost+shipping to the thread's cool folks

P2P - 22"
Sleeves - 26"
Shoulders - 19"
Length - 32"

Also found this shirt.

Because when I saw this, I thought, "$$$$$!"

Then I saw this.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

I copped anyway, might try seeing if I can get some replacements from VW. Not sure if I'm keeping or not, actually fits pretty well.

Also stopped by the Harry Rosen outlet, where they had a deal going on shirts 2 for $100.

Grabbed this for me.

And grabbed this to flip, and hopefully pay for both.

They had a few of those Etro shirts there in size 42 (and possibly a couple of XL sizes). Also a Gant by Michael Bastian identical to the one above in L, and a few others in S, M, L and XL (one white oxford in M, couple white with blue checks in all sizes, couple plaids in various sizes).

If anyone wants a proxy, I can go back tomorrow. Total for one would be $70, two would be $125. Get at me if you're interested.

Vintage Leather

Reaction score

i think it's partially due to men being more obsessive about stuff than women in general (i've never seen a female baseball card or comic book collector, for example). but mostly i think it's due to the fact that men have been brainwashed into the whole timeless style thing. makes us more likely to spend $$$ on something if we think that it's somehow justified by being timeless and outside of trendiness. which is not the case. we think we're smarter than we really are. :foo:

I was about to say, "have you ever seen a male shoe collector?" but then I remembered where I was :embar: A lifetime ago, I used to run gaming and comic cons, so I have met the elusive female comic book collector.

I think the big difference is that there is an idea floating around that women should save their money for accessories - it's what other women are looking at. So they buy cheap clothing that fills the landmines and $$$$ handbags. The woman who can afford a $100,000 to million dollar wardrobe doesn't want to spend time in thrift shops and doesn't want to risk eBay.

Men know that they can find better prices on the good stuff - so there are more of the competing for the rare Kiton up for grabs.

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Anyone seen this old Woolrich tag?

It was on this shirt... Left it but it'll probably be there if I go back for it

Not as awesome as the woolrich, but found this wool pendleton vtg with a top loop. Anyone have an idea how to date this? Kinda my size do debating keeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads