1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1ofTheCoolKids

1ofTheCoolKids Senior member

Inorite? Working on it!

2. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

My find, paper denim and cloth blazer jacket.
    very heavy, nice fall blazer jacket.
    fits just right!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

Burberry Buttons, Harvested

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BB Suit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Samuelsohn Suit
    FF Pants w/ Flap & Buttoned Coin Pocket

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vintage Lanvin Suit for Neiman Marcus (not the good lanvin, but all wool, and sweet pattern)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Love that brick wall, man!
    Those boots on the first rack, are those the Frye you've picked up recently?
    HAHAHA! AWesome!
    I freeze everything I thrift, gotten from trades, from Marshall's for a week. Then I stuff them in my closet or even in a suit garment with a bunch of cider wood, shaving, and moth balls. I don't give a shit if my shit smells like moth balls! I still rock the shit out of my shit! [​IMG]

5. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Senior member

Hey you: that "Romeo Gigli" caught my eye, but I passed. Weird piece- four buttons is goofy, but cool fabric anyway. I'll be curious to see what comes of it ... Went back to that shop after soccer tonight, and all the decent stuff I'd seen there was gone. Did you pick up the Burberry tie too?

6. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Senior member

As someone who designs closets as part of my job, I've seen some shit. The largest shoe rack I designed would have made Imelda Marcos cry. You guys have too much stuff. Who wants more? Picked up a beat up Oxxford coat today just for the brass buttons. If anyone is in need lemmie know, will send buttons for shipping. 3x on each cuff, 2 on front.

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and some recent finds
    Barney's COOP Italy
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hackett? London, Loro Piana fabric, anyone ever seen?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lubiam, again ?? Fabric felt so nice, also, how would you refer to that cut on the lapels?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    EZ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Polo Linen, picking up a LOT of linen and silk for the summer.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Oxxford
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Who is Tom James? I liked the fabric on this one too, and the working cuffs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BB
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    EZ
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These are neat, Murray's Toggery
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BB Country Club? Finding tons of this at GW, skipping most, but I like the cinch on the side of these.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uniqlo cords
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

that is all, except, thanks for making me feel a lot better about my mere 100 or so item backlog. You guys have some serious collections going on.

7. ejay1

ejay1 Senior member

Today's find at one store having a sale so they were extra cheap. I couldn't tell by the tags how old they are but I mostly got what I thought has more recent styling (vented, higher buttons,etc.). All tentatively not available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Other finds from last week-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    showerproof Aquascutum car coat
    [​IMG]
    I suspect the Chanel is fake since it doesn't have rolled edges. Can anyone confirm? Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    nice fall/winter ties
    [​IMG]
    Japanese jeans made in Italy and Varvatos mainline velvet trousers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    authentic Yao game jersey
    [​IMG]
    nwot packs
    [​IMG]

and my personal grail- what initially inspired me to go inside thrift stores in hopes of finding one. Had one of these growing up and my parents donated it. It's like being reunited with an old friend. Pristine condition
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. barrelntrigger

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  9. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

I read that this morning with a cup of coffee sitting in front of me, untouched. I'm a bit slow in the morning and read that as some sort of vulgar prison lingo before I understood.

10. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Senior member

[​IMG]

11. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

VERY nice. Especially the Niners jacket! Your probably located in SF eh?

12. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Whew... Finally caught up once again. Passed on this tie for $12 today... [​IMG] Might have to hunt a few down tomorrow (not that he'll get that price for it).

13. ejay1

ejay1 Senior member

Thanks. I also had the 2nd edition all red starter 49ers hooded jacket (also donated by my parents).

I pretty much grew up in SF and most of my family is there.

14. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Not exactly thrifting, but I picked up these two for $5 each on eBay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. HansderHund

Here is the bulk of what I picked up in Naples. A lot of it is for me, in all honesty I went a bit nuts (at least more than I expected) and it got to the point where my wife stopped asking how much something was when she saw me with new bags. :embar:

The rest of it is for a few buddies, SF members, and colleagues that had specific requests. I did the best to accommodate, but it was easiest with my local friends/colleagues. One of my friends asked me to keep an eye out for Boglioli in the €500 range. It’s normally €600-800 here for the jackets and I rarely catch them on sale. I sent him SMS photos of things in that range and he would give me a thumbs up on it.

For SF members (most were US based), I couldn’t grab a lot. It was a combination of lack of time and value.

I found the majority of salespeople in the department stores to be helpful and knowledgeable. They remembered me after I bought a few things and later returned.

I was able to visit a number of the more famous shops in the city and it was fun to see. No bargains, but I didn’t really expect it either.

Nothing is available.

Warning: Lots of images, so I tried to organize/use spoilers for those using mobiles.

Ties:
    Fratelli wool knit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

E.G. Cappelli, Luigi Grimaldi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Panico wool
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marinella silk
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Marinella wool (L), linen/silk (R)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ballantyne cashmere
    [​IMG]

Shirts:

Fray
    [​IMG]

Luciano Barbera Club polos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Loro Piana polos
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Borrelli Vintage & Etro
    [​IMG]

Dior
    [​IMG]

Kiton
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cucinelli
    [​IMG]

Brioni
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pullovers:

Dior hooded shirt:
    [​IMG]

Cucinelli cashmere:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pants:

Loro Piana
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Loro Piana
    [​IMG]

Borrelli & Isaia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Incotex chino lino & Cucinelli
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Suits & Jackets

Boglioli suit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boglioli linen & cotton K Jacket

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boglioli linen K Jacket (On sale for €440)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Canali suit

[​IMG]

Brioni 100% silk suit (for a buddy, hope this fits as it's AWESOME)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brioni wool
    [​IMG]

Cantarelli linen/silk/wool. One of my favorites and can't wait to wear it. I was shocked/jealous at how cheap Cantarelli is on ebay.com :confused:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Accessories:
    My goal was a new panama. I tried on a number of Borsalinos, and I may still order one this summer, but I liked this one a lot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ballantyne pocket squares (silk)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Loro Piana (silk)
    [​IMG]

Locally made wool pocket squares (only two wool I saw)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. HansderHund

Here is a quick write-up of Naples. Some pictures are of the shops, others not. I used a spoiler so those that are strictly interested in thrift finds can easily bypass it.

Naples is a great vacation city and I’ll definitely return. I talked to a couple of tailors and want to try a couple of them on my short list. Pricing for bespoke things ranged wildly, though I was only trying to get general prices as I explained to the tailor. They assured me that it was a common question. Some of them were more expensive than my preferred local tailor that does bespoke, some were much more.

English wasn’t widely spoken and they laughed at me at various places when I asked about German (not spoken by many from what I could tell). Therefore, it’s helpful to speak Italian or practice hand gestures before arrival. I find this to be the case in most Italian cities, so not shocking.

Food was good, but the best restaurants we tried were those recommended by co-workers from the city. Service leaves something to be desired.

Though the books tell you that crime is high (especially pickpocketing), the locals will tell you that isn’t the case anymore. I generally don’t carry a wallet on holiday and was glad that I didn’t this time. Quite a few beggars and street salesmen, you can’t walk more than a 100m on the main streets without someone trying to sell you bracelets, lighters, tissues, etc. Most of the salespeople and beggars took the first no and moved on, but I did have a problem with one guy. My wife and I were sitting in a nice cafe and he came up to us and tried to sell roses. We declined politely 3-4 times and he got too close and wouldn’t leave. I had to stand up and get eye to eye with him before he backed down...sincerely thought we’d get into a fistfight over roses and bracelets. That may be a rare occurrence, I’m not sure, but I’d say that you should be very aware of your surroundings in public.

Public transport was frustrating at best, disastrous at worst. We waited for a bus for over an hour. It’s supposed to arrive every 15 minutes, and we actually saw 4 pass in one direction without returning. No explanations were given, it just didn’t show up. Both the buses and trams are outdated and get very crowded. One a few occasions, I considered jumping off because we were so packed together. Again, this is a case that you wouldn’t want to carry money/phones in a back pocket. Women would also be advised to be careful in those situations, my wife preferred to stand between me and the side of the car as groping can happen from time to time.

Taxis often won’t run their meters, though they’re supposed to do so. We got burned on our first trip from the airport to the hotel. I didn’t negotiate a price before we hopped in and he made up a number when we were dropped off at the hotel. I found out later that I paid twice as much as I should have. From that point on, I would get the price (sometimes in writing) beforehand. They’d give the initial price and I’d try to judge whether they’d made it up and inflated it or it was fair. Sometimes they’d say something like “It’s more expensive because there are hills,” or “those are hard streets, it’s more.” I would call them out on it and just offer a lower amount. They always accepted it.

Capri is a beautiful island, but plan it out if you decide to go. The boat tours in the grottos take a couple of hours. The main destination is pretty to take photos, but it’s just a tourist hotspot with all of the big-name boutiques. Lots of money is spent there, but it felt a bit fake. The ferry there was another story. There is a fast boat that takes about 50 minutes to reach the island and can hold a good number of people. It was a bad sign that on the way there, they handed out multiple bags to everyone. The waters were rough and my wife and I were fine, but a good percentage of the boat was sick. That was awful. We were only on the island for a day, so we dreaded the return trip. The water was fine on the way back, but the boats still smelled. I would say the trip is worth it (simply bring dramamine if you’re prone to seasickness) and some headphones. Go early to spend the day/do a boat tour or even stay overnight.

We did some fantastic tours, including a really interesting tour of the underground aqueducts. They were cheap and offered in German, English, French, etc. Great guides, really interesting and worth the time.

All in all, it’s a great city that has a different feel compared to the north. I’d go back to use the tailors, but I’ll order things from the US.

Rows of old Borsalino crates used to store current hats. You select the hat and they use a hook to bring the box down.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Typical bruschetta
    [​IMG]

Finamore
    [​IMG]

Borrelli
    [​IMG]

Capri
    [​IMG]

Kiton on Capri
    [​IMG]

A shop owner's take on the Italian economy
    [​IMG]

Rubinacci
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saw a few of these around the city...
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. barrelntrigger

Holy crap! Are those bullet holes?! ^^

18. HansderHund

Yes. I won't speculate, but there were a couple of "groups" that had issues with one another last fall. Could have just been something random? Not sure, but I saw a couple of them in glass windows.

19. 1ofTheCoolKids

1ofTheCoolKids Senior member

I'm sorry, you should have told me yesterday while you there and I would have totally told you pick it up. Romeo Gigli is OLD SKOOL. His aesthetic was "fairy tale" and light. So all of his shows were huge productions. He won several big awards back in the day. But alas, like all great 80's-90's designers, Helmut Lang, JPG, Westwood, etc. They all got gobbled up and didn't change with the times...so his older stuff tends to have an older following. Last time I checked on his stuff, he was planning on a resurgence, after finding new financial backing, but I have not read anything in about a year. I'll research and get back to you via PM.

Didn't pick up the Burberry tie, but I left the Blue Pinstriped, Single Breasted, Two Button, Single Vent, Loro Piana 120's, 44L Hickey Freeman. It had double pleats, but no flaws. [​IMG]

20. DanM

DanM Senior member

Whoa. After seeing all of these amazing inventories... I'm more committed than ever to get down to zero inventory (and just having my own clothes). Everyone has beautiful setups, and I wish I saw that volume of high end stuff around here, but managing all of that just seems exhausting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.