• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Wow - I can imagine what you were feeling at this time as this same scenario happened to me a couple years ago when I found 9 recent Brioni suits and a NWOT Brioni silk sportcoat all in a row. I live for these motherlode finds! Deets on patterns, size, model names?

YES we definitely need more info on your finds, and pics if you have the patience

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow - I can imagine what you were feeling at this time as this same scenario happened to me a couple years ago when I found 9 recent Brioni suits and a NWOT Brioni silk sportcoat all in a row. I live for these motherlode finds! Deets on patterns, size, model names?

Dead man's clothes!:stirpot:

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yesterday I almost came across one of those "motherlode finds" - 5 suits, all in the same size from...Jos. A Bank :D

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yesterday I almost came across one of those "motherlode finds" - 5 suits, all in the same size from...Jos. A Bank
biggrin.gif

baldy[1].gif

i hope you get blessed for your persistence by one day finding 10 kitons all in yours (or a really in demand) size

dkoernert

Reaction score
I came across a Canali Proposta (never seen it before) DB coat. Wasnt going to get it at first but the $3 price tag changed my mind.

On a side note, do the people running these places have any idea what high-end brands are? I always see stuff like PRL and Jos. a. Bank priced way higher than "higher-end" brands.

Last edited:

hmmurdock

Reaction score

On a side note, do the people running these places have any idea what high-end brands are? I always see stuff like PRL and Jos. a. Bank priced way higher than "higher-end" brands.

Not to be that guy....but let's face it...the general public has no idea who Kiton, Brioni, Isaia, Hermes are or what they make. They do however know PRL, Brooks Brothers and Jos a Bank. It shouldn't be surprising to anyone that most places mark these up over "higher end" brands.

Couple that with the fact that most of these places want to continually turn over product. With limited space capacity, if they took the time to research every one off "high-end' that comes through the door and mark these items up to what they would sell for on ebay they would slow sales, have to reallocate manpower and quickly become burdened with excess inventory. Which to these thrifts is not their purpose.

Part of what gets people in the door at thrifts is the thrill of the hunt and always expecting to find something new. And if you're fortunate enough to frequent places that do not have the time or knowledge to mark it accordingly...:slayer:....and hope that doesn't change.

dkoernert

Reaction score

Not to be that guy....but let's face it...the general public has no idea who Kiton, Brioni, Isaia, Hermes are or what they make. They do however know PRL, Brooks Brothers and Jos a Bank. It shouldn't be surprising to anyone that most places mark these up over "higher end" brands.

Couple that with the fact that most of these places want to continually turn over product. With limited space capacity, if they took the time to research every one off "high-end' that comes through the door and mark these items up to what they would sell for on ebay they would slow sales, have to reallocate manpower and quickly become burdened with excess inventory. Which to these thrifts is not their purpose.

Part of what gets people in the door at thrifts is the thrill of the hunt and always expecting to find something new. And if you're fortunate enough to frequent places that do not have the time or knowledge to mark it accordingly...:slayer:....and hope that doesn't change.

This is all very true. Only in my parts they don't even know BB. Most of the time the BB shirts are priced way lower than PRL. Of course they are harder to come by around here, so I'm sure they dont see a lot.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Hit up stores today. A few nice things, but if these are real (which I am guessing 99.9% they are fake) I will be thrilled. Never even seen a real Hermes before in person so have nothing to go by, but figured at $2 a piece I couldn't let them sit there. They measure 3.5", 3.25" & 3.25" in that order.

They all have the #### Letter Letter box, but I forgot to take a pic on the 2nd and 3rd. They look the same but the maroon tie (#2) is 7169 FA and the blue tie (#3) is 989 SA.

Thanks very much for the help

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads