• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
A few people have commented that I was the best dressed at a conference last weekend.
bigstar[1].gif
I was wearing a Hart Schaffner & Marx suit I'd picked up the same week, half off at Salvation Army, for $7.25.

Of course, I knew from the moment I packed my bags that someone would say that
teacha.gif

Sad thing is they probably spent 20-30 times what you did, and looked worse in doing so.
eh.gif

Thrifter

Reaction score
My first big find... sorry about the pics. I'm excited. Some questions too:

$10 Hartt Shell Cordovan Bluchers - Barely used... pictures don't do these justice.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

On that last picture, is there a purpose of that edge of leather between the sole and upper or is it purely stylistic?

$10 Church's Custom Grade Real Cape Buck Suede

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

Now I have to figure out what to wear with these shoes.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful churches.

Sorry, but those hartt's aren't shell cordovan.

Thrifter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
Beautiful churches.

Sorry, but those hartt's aren't shell cordovan.

Why do you say that? They look/feel just like every other SC shoe I've ever seen... pictures don't look exactly like in person.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great find on the Churchs!

Found a nice yellow Brooks Brothers mainline polo today. I can't wait for spring to roll around so I can wear all the nice warm-weather stuff I've found over the last 6 or so months.

I also came across a rather unfortunate piece. It was a beautiful light gray overcoat by Corneliani. Pick-stitching, wool/cashmere blend, full length with a single vent. Sadly, it had all these little pieces of fabric missing. Not complete holes as it all the way through the coat, but little pencil-eraser sized spots of missing fabric here and here. Cigarrette burns perhaps? Oh well....

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thrifter
Why do you say that? They look/feel just like every other SC shoe I've ever seen... pictures don't look exactly like in person.
Look at the tiny wrinkles in the leather in the trough of the wave. That's what makes them not shell. Still, they look like nice shoes and the Church's are a great find.

EBTX66

Reaction score
Decent night last night. Thursday evenings look like a good time because they were restocking and I had the store to myself. I guess my nemesis eBay flipper still lives at home and has to be in by dark.

I picked up a vtg Alexander Julian tie, from the width I'd guess early 80's. $2.00
Links by David Chu bd shirt, new w/ tags. $4.99
Filson bd. Looks barely worn. Freshly laundered but the drycleaner broke the button on the chest pocket. The replacement is still in sewn into a tag inside the shirt. Was it that much trouble to repair it? $4.99
Oxxford sportcoat. Its a gray/blue muted glenplaid. The fabric is 100% alpaca. It's the softest fabric I've ever felt. Needs a good cleaning and about an hour of intense tlc from my fabric fuzz trimmer. Looks like the fabric is so delicate that it's prone to do that very easily. I guess it'll be for special occasions only. Custom made back in '97 but fits me perfectly. $6.99
Lighter brown longwings by Dexter. I normally ignore that brand but these look unworn, vintage, and were made in the USA. I guess Dexter used to be a decent brand back in the day? $5.50

The wife and son are out of town this weekend so I may get a chance to finally inventory and list those items I'd like to pass along - cheaply of course. I still have the list of guys that PM'd me way back when and you'll still get the spreadsheet first before I start listing the items.

Georgia

Reaction score
^^^Some great finds lately. It's been dry as a bone in my neck of the woods. All that means is that it's going to get better...soon.

Swan Song

Reaction score
I guess Cowboy boots are out of favor around here. These are vintage Dan Post Lizard and the color combination is outstanding. $12

New soles/heels and I'm breakin' them in today. $50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics