The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I found an interesting label today. This is in a 3 button sack. It will fit me at my goal weight, so I am leaning toward keeping it. Who knew that Oxxford made items for A&F? [​IMG]

2. mco543

mco543 Senior member

That had to have been made a life time ago. Great find.

3. mystillwater

mystillwater Senior member

i've been seeing a few peices from A&F recently that were from the pre-mall days. fly fishing equipment, outdoor apparell... evidently they really did start out as an outfitter... i think someone must have liscensed the name and taken it to market as a college mall brand more recently. actually... i'm certain of it.

4. wcl

wcl Senior member

I found an interesting label today. This is in a 3 button sack. It will fit me at my goal weight, so I am leaning toward keeping it. Who knew that Oxxford made items for A&F?

[​IMG]

Awesome!! Came across one of those not too long ago. It was a 46XL. Super Skinny Lapels and all. I should have bought it just to have it. On the plus side did snag an older BBGF Glen Plaid 3 Piece in my size. Had to pay the full price of $24.99 at the goodwill, but it was worth it!!

5. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

I found an interesting label today. This is in a 3 button sack. It will fit me at my goal weight, so I am leaning toward keeping it. Who knew that Oxxford made items for A&F?

[​IMG]

I didn't know that!!! Awesome...

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^Great find. One of the suits that I most regret not being able to buy was an Oxxford for A&F. It was gorgeous, but the trousers had moth damage. It hurt to walk away.

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Here are a few more photos of the Oxxford for A&F. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

i've been seeing a few peices from A&F recently that were from the pre-mall days. fly fishing equipment, outdoor apparell... evidently they really did start out as an outfitter... i think someone must have liscensed the name and taken it to market as a college mall brand more recently. actually... i'm certain of it.
    Indeed. Abercrombie and Fitch used the be a very high-end outdoor outfitter. I wish I could have seen them in their glory days - I'm imagining something along the lines of Holland & Holland, except with a wider range of sporting goods such as fishing, archery, etc. I think I remember reading somewhere that their original flagship store had lots of Victorian-era taxidermy throughout the store.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Indeed. Abercrombie and Fitch used the be a very high-end outdoor outfitter. I wish I could have seen them in their glory days - I'm imagining something along the lines of Holland & Holland, except with a wider range of sporting goods such as fishing, archery, etc. I think I remember reading somewhere that their original flagship store had lots of Victorian-era taxidermy throughout the store.

I didnt know this. Interesting.

I find that there are other labels like this. I came across what seemed a very old banana republic khaki colored shirt the other day but it wasnt my size - a GREAT quality shirt. It seems a natural progression to put out some quality, gain a reputation, then destroy it by cheapening your brand beyond belief.

Capitalism at its best.

10. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I didnt know this. Interesting. I find that there are other labels like this. I came across what seemed a very old banana republic khaki colored shirt the other day but it wasnt my size - a GREAT quality shirt. It seems a natural progression to put out some quality, gain a reputation, then destroy it by cheapening your brand beyond belief. Capitalism at its best.
    Brands change, some more violently than others. A&F's saga is well told on Wikipedia. BR began as seller of int'l military surplus, then moved into repro, then was sold to The Gap & evolved into the Office Pants Emporium we know & love.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Brands change, some more violently than others.

A&F's saga is well told on Wikipedia.

BR began as seller of int'l military surplus, then moved into repro, then was sold to The Gap & evolved into the Office Pants Emporium we know & love.

Gonna start a "brands that used to be good thread" - unless there is one already?

12. vinasity

vinasity Senior member

I received my Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers black chukkas today that I purchased from eBay. They where in perfect condition in the box with shoe bags to boot.[​IMG]

13. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Gonna start a "brands that used to be good thread" - unless there is one already?

This thread already exists on here somewhere under another name. I can't seem to find it at the moment (will keep checking) but it covers the usual suspects (coach, LV, etc.) and is quite informative.

May want to look around before starting a new one.

14. Threak

Threak Senior member

A few people have commented that I was the best dressed at a conference last weekend. [​IMG] I was wearing a Hart Schaffner & Marx suit I'd picked up the same week, half off at Salvation Army, for $7.25.

Of course, I knew from the moment I packed my bags that someone would say that [​IMG].

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.