1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Distinguished Member

I found an interesting label today. This is in a 3 button sack. It will fit me at my goal weight, so I am leaning toward keeping it. Who knew that Oxxford made items for A&F? [​IMG]

2. mco543

mco543 Senior Member

That had to have been made a life time ago. Great find.

3. mystillwater

mystillwater Senior Member

i've been seeing a few peices from A&F recently that were from the pre-mall days. fly fishing equipment, outdoor apparell... evidently they really did start out as an outfitter... i think someone must have liscensed the name and taken it to market as a college mall brand more recently. actually... i'm certain of it.

4. wcl

wcl Senior Member

I found an interesting label today. This is in a 3 button sack. It will fit me at my goal weight, so I am leaning toward keeping it. Who knew that Oxxford made items for A&F?

[​IMG]

Awesome!! Came across one of those not too long ago. It was a 46XL. Super Skinny Lapels and all. I should have bought it just to have it. On the plus side did snag an older BBGF Glen Plaid 3 Piece in my size. Had to pay the full price of $24.99 at the goodwill, but it was worth it!!

5. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Stylish Dinosaur

I found an interesting label today. This is in a 3 button sack. It will fit me at my goal weight, so I am leaning toward keeping it. Who knew that Oxxford made items for A&F?

[​IMG]

I didn't know that!!! Awesome...

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^Great find. One of the suits that I most regret not being able to buy was an Oxxford for A&F. It was gorgeous, but the trousers had moth damage. It hurt to walk away.

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Distinguished Member

Here are a few more photos of the Oxxford for A&F. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Nataku

Nataku Distinguished Member

i've been seeing a few peices from A&F recently that were from the pre-mall days. fly fishing equipment, outdoor apparell... evidently they really did start out as an outfitter... i think someone must have liscensed the name and taken it to market as a college mall brand more recently. actually... i'm certain of it.
    Indeed. Abercrombie and Fitch used the be a very high-end outdoor outfitter. I wish I could have seen them in their glory days - I'm imagining something along the lines of Holland & Holland, except with a wider range of sporting goods such as fishing, archery, etc. I think I remember reading somewhere that their original flagship store had lots of Victorian-era taxidermy throughout the store.

9. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

Indeed. Abercrombie and Fitch used the be a very high-end outdoor outfitter. I wish I could have seen them in their glory days - I'm imagining something along the lines of Holland & Holland, except with a wider range of sporting goods such as fishing, archery, etc. I think I remember reading somewhere that their original flagship store had lots of Victorian-era taxidermy throughout the store.

I didnt know this. Interesting.

I find that there are other labels like this. I came across what seemed a very old banana republic khaki colored shirt the other day but it wasnt my size - a GREAT quality shirt. It seems a natural progression to put out some quality, gain a reputation, then destroy it by cheapening your brand beyond belief.

Capitalism at its best.

10. mack11211

mack11211 Distinguished Member

I didnt know this. Interesting. I find that there are other labels like this. I came across what seemed a very old banana republic khaki colored shirt the other day but it wasnt my size - a GREAT quality shirt. It seems a natural progression to put out some quality, gain a reputation, then destroy it by cheapening your brand beyond belief. Capitalism at its best.
    Brands change, some more violently than others. A&F's saga is well told on Wikipedia. BR began as seller of int'l military surplus, then moved into repro, then was sold to The Gap & evolved into the Office Pants Emporium we know & love.

11. idfnl

idfnl Stylish Dinosaur

Brands change, some more violently than others.

A&F's saga is well told on Wikipedia.

BR began as seller of int'l military surplus, then moved into repro, then was sold to The Gap & evolved into the Office Pants Emporium we know & love.

Gonna start a "brands that used to be good thread" - unless there is one already?

12. vinasity

vinasity Senior Member

I received my Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers black chukkas today that I purchased from eBay. They where in perfect condition in the box with shoe bags to boot.[​IMG]

13. Trapp

Trapp Distinguished Member

Gonna start a "brands that used to be good thread" - unless there is one already?

This thread already exists on here somewhere under another name. I can't seem to find it at the moment (will keep checking) but it covers the usual suspects (coach, LV, etc.) and is quite informative.

May want to look around before starting a new one.

14. Threak

Threak Distinguished Member

A few people have commented that I was the best dressed at a conference last weekend. [​IMG] I was wearing a Hart Schaffner & Marx suit I'd picked up the same week, half off at Salvation Army, for $7.25.

Of course, I knew from the moment I packed my bags that someone would say that [​IMG].

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.