• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

matstyleku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArsenalDan
Daffy's FTW! I realize it's not a thrift store per se, but whoa I made out, and likely, in terms of after-tailoring costs, much better than from true thrift store. All pants, all in my size: Mabitex x 10 Incotex x 1 Zegna X 3 [they'd torn the tags out, but if you looked closely enough you could find the imprint here and there] Indochino x 3 ["manufactured in Incotex factories" dunno what the deal with that is] PRL x 1 Cost, on average came out to just about $22 per pair. None will need any alterations beyond hemming. Someone (read: Put This On perhaps?? HINT HINT) needs to explain in depth the economics of these types of closeout stores. I am a size 32, a common size. I can understand why I can find a lot of stuff at sample sales, but why should I be finding retailed Mabitex etc for $15 a piece?!
Wow super find. I wish I could find some decent pants in my size, 32. Googling for a Daffy's like place in the Chicagoland area.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah. I thought ebay was going to ban me forever. Well, regardless I'm not in the business to be a hrdst22. If you dont know who that is, ask Nantaku!

lol

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^You can ask the seller if he will agree to cancel the auction agreement to buy, maybe offer to cover his costs. Otherwise just resell it.

This. It's happened to me a couple times too. I won something and my car crapped out on me the next day and I needed the money to put towards that or something of that sort. The sellers have always been understanding and I paypal'd them a few bucks to cover their fees and make up for the inconvenience.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Few bucks? I thought it cost at least around $10 to list one item.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If someone else bid on the auction, you can mutually cancel the bid, and the seller can offer it to the next highest bidder.

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^

Someone did. I won by .50!

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to two new thrift stores and showed great restraint today, and I'm wondering if you all think it was also great judgment. Anyone want to take a look and validate/deride me?
I passed on:
Polo RL blue label corduroy jacket that felt a bit big
IMG_0452.jpg

a "Giampaolo" (?) shirt that fit great, but had this funny collar
IMG_0450.jpg

A linen blazer that fit pretty great, and I think was 1/2 canvassed, but had no vents, and I just wasn't sure
IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg
linencollar.jpg

And a Samuelsohn blazer, since I already have a navy blazer:
IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

Would you have done the same?

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ If the RL was made in Italy I would have gotten it, all else being equal. Good pass on the shirt and linen jacket, but he Samuelsohn looks like its a pretty nice jacket (although probably an orphaned suit jacket) and seems to fit you pretty well.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd go back and get the shirt and throw something brown on over it, but that's just me.
wink.gif

Kitontini

Reaction score
Originally Posted by justinsmnz
Really interesting Zegna tie today. I haven't seen this type of contrast stitching on the back before:

img9105np.jpg

img9107g.jpg

img9109t.jpg

This Zegna tie looks like the Napoli Couture line from Zegna. I found one with this exact label and contrast stitching that was indeed from their Couture line. NICE FIND! I like it!

matstyleku

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tyrone MacStiophain
Would you have done the same?

Definitely good job on holding back. I would have gotten the shirt if it was a good fit and the pattern was desirable and price was right. Wouldn't the collar be covered with a tie anyways?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Picked up a few nice things today. A Corneliani shirt, a PRL tattersall with cutaway collar, Bills Khakis seersucker (all of those are my size) plus a Thomas Pink (made in Ireland) for my wife. If it doesn't fit her I guess I'll sell it.

img4306.jpg

Originally Posted by AlanC
On the road this week, and visited some old haunts. Struck out at most, hit gold at one: 2 Isaia 7 fold ties, 8 Nicky ties (including 5 cashmere), a Cesare Gatti narrow wool tie, 3 Truzzi shirts and a made in France Lacoste linen/cotton short sleeve button up.

Here are the Nicky ties I'm keeping out of that haul, silk on the left the rest are cashmere:

img4316.jpg

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose the angled buttonholes would be covered, but the collar points also seemed unusually large.

Tyrone MacStiophain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
^^^ If the RL was made in Italy I would have gotten it, all else being equal. Good pass on the shirt and linen jacket, but he Samuelsohn looks like its a pretty nice jacket (although probably an orphaned suit jacket) and seems to fit you pretty well.

The RL was made in Macau.
eh.gif

I'm still on the fence about the Samuelsohn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads