1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

That was me. PM incoming.

2. MXERPAC

MXERPAC Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any technique advice/recommendations for sorting through pants? I find myself in desperate need but I never bother due to the hassle

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

4. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

All: This is your official warning to
    BACK

THE EFF

OFF

4 people like this.
  5. Takai

Takai Senior member

[​IMG]

Couple quick stops, and a couple quick pops. CT Slim fit baby blue for myself, First Sulka clothing (It's a made in england polo), and first selvedge label Zegna tie.

2 people like this.
  6. Versace Guy

Versace Guy Senior member

Most of the good stuff has the label stitched around the inside waistband. So if the pants are not too cluttered, I just "peek down".

I find t-shirts to be the most difficult to sort through. I think I bought a total of 1 t-shirt for my entire thrifting career. Good t-shirt is the thing that nobody donates and the t-shirt section that every college kid and Randy run to first.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  7. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

I use to be the same way, skip the pants b/c it was a PIA. Obviouly is the store does soething stupid like hang them upside down by the middle then it's pointless, but if hung by the waist (95% of stores) just flip though the like you would shirts and look for key inidcators its a nice pair along with the feel of the leather. Looking for a) nae brands on the waistband, b) curtain waistband c) the silky line though the waistband (arrow uses this so watch out) d) the incotex hanger across the split "v" e) split "v". if you do this enough you can flip though them like shirts with ease and pick up up the nice ones.

"selvedge label" is that the term going around for the more recent ties?

1 person likes this.
  8. Takai

Takai Senior member

That's what I've observed

9. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Look for split waistbands and quality interior finishing. Since it's pretty much visible as you walk down the rack I find the pants section to be the quickest/easiest to look through.

2 people like this.
  10. futuremyth

futuremyth Senior member

[​IMG]

What is a Randy? I'm picturing this guy but obviously he wants nothing to do with shirts.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok so a couple questions, I recently sold a brioni blazer, what is the best way to ship it? The sunglasses are vintage gianni versace mod. S24 but they're freakin prescription lenses does anyone know where I can get cheap regular sunglasses lenses made? And I have a brooks brothers Golden Fleece which I believe is full canvassed if anyone is interested I'm just looking for a couple small zegna shirts or a couple nice small casual shirts. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  12. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

I thought this was the selvedge label

[​IMG]

13. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Oh an the BB is pretty much mint condition

14. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

That's Zegna Couture. Selvedge Label is/was their recent style of labelling their mainline ties. I think someone mentioned it's been changed.

15. Ds13

Ds13 Senior member

hahahaha. I laughed so damn hard at this comment. It was perfect. The "bolding" of leather, and then to cap it off, that picture with the reference. gold

16. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

I don't post my eBay buys often but this thing is too awesome. Personal use e thrift. Loro Piana mainline unstructured pure cashmere jacket: 3/2, unlined, hacking & ticket pockets, throat latch, dual vents, functional cuffs, fits like a dream. @s_allen_p is selling the same one with much better photos here http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=141171684283

[​IMG]

Cat that jumps on everything I try to photograph not thrifted and N/A

18 people like this.
  17. TJGent87

TJGent87 Senior member

Here's for a little light hearted fun @ridethecliche didn't believe I'd post these fit pics, especially since they were inspired by a particular fellow lol. Anyway feel free to rate and comment as it's all in fun lol.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Shirts are the easiest to look through, IMO as you don't go one by one, you just look at pattern. At least, thats what I do. hasn't failed yet.

1 person likes this.
  19. jdrizzy

jdrizzy Senior member

Fits like a dream?! We demand a fit pic

1 person likes this.
  20. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

True for patterns, but solids I inspect closer.

But to be fair: there's really no way for one to know whether one's method doesn't work. By definition, you only know what you did find; not what you've missed.

Unless you're me and thrift alongside GM-H, and he literally follows behind you pointing out EVERYTHING you missed.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.