• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

brianG

Reaction score
Uhhh ohhh, our favorite thrift store is at it again...

http://www.upworthy.com/words-like-...gether-if-this-is-the-kind-of-thing-they-do-5

I'm more of a Savers person myself.
satisfied.gif

Isn't the whole "no minimum wage" thing due to the workers being legally "unemployable" and still receiving federal benefits like medicaid? If they worked normal jobs, it would disqualify them from receiving medicaid and other benefits. This sort of program allows them to keep said benefits, while also learning work/life skills, which picking up a bit of $ for themselves along the way (which could help teach personal finance skills).

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't the whole "no minimum wage" thing due to the workers being legally "unemployable" and still receiving federal benefits like medicaid? If they worked normal jobs, it would disqualify them from receiving medicaid and other benefits. This sort of program allows them to keep said benefits, while also learning work/life skills, which picking up a bit of $ for themselves along the way (which could help teach personal finance skills).

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those boots are badass, and possibly my size... Must ... Resist ... Pm... Ethrift
99% sure this is NWOT
Goddamnit, where the hell did I put that "Mother of God" gif.
Does anyone recognize this label? . . . it had a label that said "tailored in china"
Several SR houses are now putting out RTW stuff tailored in other places. Some are still in the EU at least (think Bulgaria), but others are made in the East (think the Chester line for Chester Barrie). Errybody gotta make a buck. -- Pics of what I found yesterday. Uniqlo seersucker. 40, slim fit. Available.
Brioni tweed. Dual vent, flat front. Could stop bullets. Tagged 40R. Tentatively dibsed.
Daks. Available. Size unknown.
!Item selvedge. 34 x 30. Available.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Goddamnit, where the hell did I put that "Mother of God" gif.
Several SR houses are now putting out RTW stuff tailored in other places. Some are still in the EU at least (think Bulgaria), but others are made in the East (think the Chester line for Chester Barrie). Errybody gotta make a buck.

--

Pics of what I found yesterday.
Uniqlo seersucker. 40, slim fit. Unavailable available.

brianG

Reaction score
How about watching the video?
I did. The biggest point was a strawman argument about regional CEO's salaries. The whole "CEO salary" thing people get up in arms about (not just with Goodwill) is a silly argument, because the idea of hiring a C-level exec to run a company predicates on being able to actually bring in someone with that very specialized skillset. Despite the fact that the Goodwill Organization is a charity, the stores need to be run as a business, and no executive will agree to work for below the market rate.

This argument is also very separate from the idea of the specialized program these disabled workers are in. While it would be great for everyone to be paid a minimum wage, these employees are often functioning at an incredibly lower level of ability, due to many medical/physical/mental issues. They would be otherwise unemployable if it weren't for these programs. If these organizations were required to pay at the state minimum wage, they wouldn't be able to hire these types of people at all.

In addition, the video didn't address the fact that these disabled individuals are also receiving federal and state benefits due to their disability. Like I said before, if they were able to work normally, and received a minimum wage salary, it would disqualify them from many of these benefits that pay for their housing, food, and medical costs.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did. All I heard were strawman arguments about regional CEO's salaries. The whole "CEO salary" thing people get up in arms about (not just with Goodwill) is a silly argument, because the whole idea of hiring a C-level exec to run a company predicates on being able to actually bring in someone with that very specialized skillset. Despite the fact that the Goodwill Organization is a charity, the stores need to be run as a business, and no executive will agree to work for below the market rate.

This argument is also very separate from the idea of the specialized program these disabled workers are in. While it would be great for everyone to be paid a minimum wage, these employees are often functioning at an incredibly lower level of ability, due to many medical/physical/mental issues. They would be otherwise unemployable if it weren't for these programs. If these organizations were required to pay at the state minimum wage, they wouldn't be able to hire these types of people at all.

In addition, the video didn't address the fact that these disabled individuals are also receiving federal and state benefits due to their disability. Like I said before, if they were able to work normally, and received a minimum wage salary, it would disqualify them from many of these benefits that pay for their housing, food, and medical costs.

Then I think you need to re-watch the last 2 minutes or so, with the blind woman with a college degree addressing this exact point, observing that they flatly refused to employ her in a position better suited for her talents, and in which a higher pay for her could be easily justified.

Last edited:

joshmick

Reaction score
Man, I think most people should be able to find popular vinyl (ie the boss, david alan coe, etc) for well under five bucks a pop at their local record store. Maybe we are just blessed here in Denver, but all of the record stores consistantly have value bins with general stuff like that for .50-5 a pop. The vinyl will be in way better shape than you'd most likely find at a thrift shop as well.

Just my .02

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have any idea how much 22 cents an hour is for a 40 hour week? Or how much a prescription costs for treatment of, let's say, epilipsy, and how much the patient has to pay out of pocket even with government aid?

Last edited:

brianG

Reaction score
Then I think you need to re-watch the last 2 minutes or so, with the blind woman with a college degree addressing this exact point, observing that they flatly refused to employ her in a position better suited for her talents, and in which a higher pay for her could be easily justified.
The most relevant point in what I'm saying though relates to being able to keep their benefits. The blind couple is undoubtedly receiving many federal and state benefits that pay for shelter/food/medical and life costs. If they make over a certain amount of $ per year they lose those benefits. I think the federal level to qualify for medicaid is something like needing to make under $11k per year, and that's for people without any disabilities. Undoubtedly many of these employees also participate in various other benefit programs that address their disabilities, and these programs also have certain (much lower income) requirements.

And while the $.22/hour thing is a tough number to look at, I'd be interested in knowing what disabilities that individual had in order to fall into that category. The blind gentleman in the video mentioned he was making ~$3.75/hour, which again, would not disqualify him from the benefit programs he is involved in.

There isn't some nefarious conspiracy going on with Goodwill. This is a federally recognized charity organization that is providing a service to an underserved population. While it would be great if everyone could get paid a high wage, while also receiving unlimited free medical/life care, that's just not how our system is set up.

Last edited:

brianG

Reaction score
Do you have any idea how much 22 cents an hour is for a 40 hour week? Or how much a prescription costs for treatment of, let's say, epilipsy, and how much the patient has to pay out of pocket even with government aid?
I do know from personal family experience. Depending on their disability, they often pay nothing.

And I'm not saying that in a negative way. These people have serious disabilities that need an intense amount of care. There is no way that they could pay for that themselves, especially if they were forced to find work on the open market that would be able to pay them the hundreds of thousands of $$ per year necessary to cover these medical costs.

Last edited:

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most relevant point in what I'm saying though relates to being able to keep their benefits. The blind couple is undoubtedly receiving many federal and state benefits that pay for shelter/food/medical and life costs. If they make over a certain amount of $ per year they lose those benefits. I think the federal level to qualify for medicaid is something like needing to make under $11k per year, and that's for people without any disabilities. Undoubtedly many of these employees also participate in various other benefit programs that address their disabilities, and these programs also have certain (much lower income) requirements.

And while the $.22/hour thing is a tough number to look at, I'd be interested in knowing what disabilities that individual had in order to fall into that category. The blind gentleman in the video mentioned he was making ~$3.75/hour, which again, would not disqualify him from the benefit programs he is involved in.

There isn't some nefarious conspiracy going on with Goodwill. This is a federally recognized charity organization that is providing a service to an underserved population. While it would be great if everyone could get paid a high wage, while also receiving unlimited free medical/life care, that's just not how our system is set up.

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did. The biggest point was a strawman argument about regional CEO's salaries. The whole "CEO salary" thing people get up in arms about (not just with Goodwill) is a silly argument, because the idea of hiring a C-level exec to run a company predicates on being able to actually bring in someone with that very specialized skillset. Despite the fact that the Goodwill Organization is a charity, the stores need to be run as a business, and no executive will agree to work for below the market rate.

I usually stay out of these conversations especially on the interwebz but I do have to say this, who are paying for their disability? Tax payers, people like you and I. Would you rather have the disabled be reliant on tax dollars or actually get paid a fair, livable wage from a multi-billion grossing company? The bottom line is this simple, why the hell do tax payers have to be burdened when, again, a multi-billion profit grossing company won't pay for a fair wage for their employees?! Call me crazy but I try to not to be so short sighted in my response.

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the shoes I found this weekend. I'm sure there are at least 3 more pairs, but I seem to have misplaced them for the moment.

Church's for Brooks Brothers Loafers
Ah ****. I take pics of labels that I don't recognize to research for later, and just looked up Ben Silver. Damnit; I had 10+ ties in front of me but passed.

Ethrift

99% sure this is NWOT
wtf. How did the entire interwebs miss that one? I am in love with market inefficiency.

Houston thrift score: 0 for 4.

Oh, well.
Bummer man, thought for sure you'd be posting something from Houston.

For me today, one quick run:

Very recent BB Madison nailhead suit made in Italy, fantastic fabric! Reunited and it feels so good!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads