• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

(NB: if you wanna buy my book, I let it go out of print and it's a "collectible" now - here it is on Amazon) - I am not any of those sellers and no idea why the book is fetching those prices.  I have a stash and am letting them ferment a couple more decades.  

Sounds like you need to release them, one at a time, on Ebay for $50 less than those other sellers...

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PM's sent - and you guys are all so awesome. I love this thread and its willingness to help, the diversity of knowledge that abounds, and the general swollen brain of the hive. :inlove:

Edit- update - took the back off that bad boy hoping to find it lined with old bank notes and stock certificates... instead, found this :plain: still cool for the mancave though!

I was actually rooting for a couple of grand in Confedrate money. :D

ilikethelights

Reaction score

Here is my latest pickup. Not from a thrift store but I brought home my two new roommates tonight, Miggy and Princess (Go Tigers!)

Cute. We brought home this guy last weekend from the Humane Society (our 3rd)

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found these a couple days ago for $20 at Goodwill:

They sound fabulous, much nicer than my Missions or the various Polk Audios that have been accumulating--I really need to have a speaker close-out sale, and getting these is a push in the right direction. They make my other five pairs of speakers sound like crap.

It was thrift synergy, I think, given that these showed up on my door the day before:

There were 18 boxes in all. Opened, they looked like this:

Including stuff like this:

And this:

And much, much more, from country to classical to Mister Rogers, plus a clunker or two. I've still got a few boxes left to put away, but I'm running out of space and need to get some more shelving. Here it is so far:

Most of them were bought at thrift stores many, many years ago, when everyone thought vinyl was dead and so dumped their collections in favor of CDs. It was an amazing time. I remember record stores closing and liquidating stock at $1 per record, and there were no crowds. Goodwill yielded tons of Zappa and Hendrix and Ella Fitzgerald and Miles Davis and, and, and for 25 cents apiece.

These have been in storage for seven years and finally came home via UPS--to find those ADS speakers just as they arrived is certainly a sign of something good.

Last edited:

ilikethelights

Reaction score
I have a pair of ADS bookshelf speakers I picked up a few years ago at a thrift. Great speakers.

Also impressive collection! :slayer:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please give me that bitches brew and straight out of Compton
Have albums to trade

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also props on the three feet high I rising I have tribes discography except low end theory including a can I kick it single

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@pnutpug man, that's an awesome collection. I'm just getting started on mine. Hope to achieve that level of awesomeness someday.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crapshoot arrived ... and these desperately need a hem.

But I scored with the Ladbroke Grove Slim Tapered 16.5 oz

Not being a denim head, what's up with the color of the inside? Do these just come unlined?

And huge shoutout to CONCEALED for the tip on the incredibly cheap shoes. The soles turned out to be in really good shape.

These are a tad bit narrow, so maybe I'll try some of that spray stuff.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really mad I missed out on the crapshoot sale. Y'all got some great stuff.

Here's some recent finds presented in order of least signficant to most:

Vineyard Vines M

Thomas Pink 16.5

Hilditch and Key 16

Zegna Trofeo Silk (51% silk, 49% wool) EU 54R -although measurements are closer to a 52

Kiton 16

Super Lightweight cotton, pattern was hard to photograph- very subtle celery green and grey wide stripes with blue with white stripes intermittent.

All available- but get at me quick if you're interested.

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@pnutpug
 man, that's an awesome collection.  I'm just getting started on mine.  Hope to achieve that level of awesomeness someday.

Thanks, and good luck. It's much tougher these days, I think, than it was back in the late 80s to mid 90s. And sorry, Ian, but none are available for sale or trade. When I got my first record...

...I thought it was the coolest thing ever, and it's still playable. I have every record that has ever come into my possession, for good or for ill...

I've never touched the grooves of any of my albums, and I've never let anyone touch the vinyl, which is easier now, I think, than back in the day when no one thought LP's were anything special--lotsa people, including attractive females, got yelled at. People would give me records for free, and there was a fair amount of garbage, but there were also gems....

...among the Billy Oceans, not to mention covers I am tempted to frame and put on the wall...

Now, I've got some clothing brags to get to...

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm confused, are you saying you dislike Billy Ocean? ;)

Full disclosure, I do not know whether I like him or not, having never played the record in question. I vaguely recall hearing one of his compositions, or whatever you call it, on the radio a long time ago and was not overly impressed. That said, I'm glad you weighed in, because I know that you are a vinyl head. If you still need speakers (and last time I checked your crib, no offense, you did), let me know and you can my leftovers for free. I'll be heading north to the Ikea in Bolingbrook for more shelves soon enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads