• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's crazy.

BTW, how is Zanella? I see Zanella pants not infrequently on my rounds. Never in my size and not knowing much about them, I leave them. They always strike me as nice, though.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's why I leave them. I typically see them with pleats as well. Will keep an eye out for trimmer models.

That Barbour is a huge score.

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Goodwill on Grand Ave in Santa Ana.

where do you live?

im from the riverside county area

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orgetorix
That's it. I quit.

+100.

Where did all this killer stuff come from all of a sudden? Did some of you guys form the People's Thrifting Liberation Army and start gunning down flippers in the street?

At lunch today I found a Joesph Abbound made in Italy tie, a new with tags BB spread collar dress shirt, and a NWOT BB Country Club, Loro Piana navy blazer. The shop looks like it received a shipment of stuff from a BB store: there were numerous unworn shirts with the labels marked out with sharpies. The blazer looks unworn but it's missing the tags.

The blazer was hanging with a pair of pants and priced as a suit. I looked at the pants and they were, in fact, very nice, new BB pants. Unfortunately they were a different fabric, a different shade, and a women's size 20! I took them up to the front counter and explained the issue and the ladies started yapping at each other in Spanish. What they don't realize is that I speak Spanish. They proceeded to tell each other that I was trying to screw them over! I explained that I simply could not use it as a suit and just wanted the blazer. The lady said that if I wanted to buy it that way they couldn't sell it to me. So, I told her I'd take it as is (Who knows: maybe I'll bump into Mo'nique and discover she's going through a "trad" phase). The manager told the cashier in Spanish, "see, I told you he was lying". I don't want them to ever know I can understand them so I didn't say anything but I can't figure out what she thought my scam was? The suits and sportcoats are all a flat price and the pants were security-tagged to the coat (a real pain ********** by the way). Wow, that was my Idiocracy moment of the day.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EBTX66
+100.
I don't want them to ever know I can understand them so I didn't say anything but I can't figure out what she thought my scam was?

+23.5

I can never decide if I want to let on to other people when I speak the other language. I don't speak more than 2 sentences of Spanish, so it comes up less frequently.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 Eton and 1 Talbott Estate shirts for $24 and $17 each. The Etons are nice, but french cuff and I would rather barrel. The Talbott is the probably the nicest shirt I own. This was at the same place I got a Purple Label Keaton for 30 bucks IIRC. All in very good/new shape.

ricecakey15

Reaction score
hi all,

long time lurker but have finally signed up! there is a goodwill store and a salvation army store here in orange county. anyone have other ones? we should compile a list of stores at diff cities as well. i know theres a store called jeremys in berkeley. i am up to the task if someone will contribute.

han

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had a very good day. Was out on the west side of LA to return some liquor from an event, and decided to hit a couple of thrifts. My favorite out there is closed Mondays, but I stopped into two others, and walked out with a Chester Barrie suit (made for Carrol & Co., a high-end menswear store here in LA), a Hong Kong custom suit that suits and fits me perfectly, a perfect Charvet shirt (in white with barrel cuffs), an LL Bean chamois shirt in my best color (something I've had my eye out for for a while), and a pair of lightweight grey wool incotex pants.

The sizing of the LL Bean shirt was amazing. It's a medium, and fits me great. Of course, I'm 6'3" and 210 pounds, so... let's just say I don't usually wear medium.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we're very different sizes. where do you like in la?

mike540

Reaction score
Some great finds for some of you guys lately.
I know the 2 Kiton in one day feeling...it's addictive!
Nataku comes through with more Brioni!

I've had a bit of success lately. I've been looking for a nice solid navy blazer, a navy with patch pockets cashmere SC and a modern cut ,good quality camel SC for a while now. I found all three this week in the form of a Samuelsohn navy blazer, a Boss 100% Colombo camelhair SC and a Coppley 100% cashmere, camel color SC. All in mint condition, none my size. Oh well, they're all very saleable and will fund my other purchases. Also found a nice Armani suit for $20 at Salvation Army. Samuelsohn is already sold, the others are on ebay.

As with most of us, I think the main purpose is to find cool stuff for ourselves and selling stuff is just a sideline to fund more purchases. To that effect I found these that I'll keep:
hermes.jpg
hermes2m.jpg

$1.99 This is from the same Goodwill I bought an obviously fake Hermes tie from early on in my thrifting days but I'm pretty sure this on is real.

addadi.jpg

addadi2.jpg

I don't know who this Vito Addadi fellow is but he sure makes a nice coat. Made in Italy, 100% cashmere, very soft shoulders, unlined, working cuffs, a perfect fit. $15. Anyone recognize the label?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads