• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-Style

Reaction score
Found a few interesting shoes on an online auction style thrift store. First is a woven crocodile captoe monk strap made by Magnanni 8-M ($6.99) not my size though
frown.gif
. Second is a woven captoe monk strap made by Mezlan and a set of Bally shoe trees($20) my size 10-M
smile.gif

2788945330101536355S500x500Q85.jpg
2131032690101536355S500x500Q85.jpg

2780950610101536355S500x500Q85.jpg
2819547560101536355S500x500Q85.jpg

2517740140101536355S500x500Q85.jpg
2613903240101536355S500x500Q85.jpg
2667448500101536355S500x500Q85.jpg
2600704330101536355S500x500Q85.jpg

2247222950101536355S600x600Q85.jpg

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Armani, Boss, etc does actually sell on here...

Thanks for the advice. It's all academic until I actually get off of my a$$ and post the stuff (I'm trapped in a bad feedback loop: the longer I wait the more I have which makes it more formidable and therefore I put it off even more) but I guess I'll give eBay a try for the stuff that doesn't sell here.

Originally Posted by C-Style
Found a few interesting shoes on an online auction style thrift store...

And what might such a website be called?
devil.gif

Lunch run - today was a tie day:
Vintage Countess Mara, 2 Polos, J. Crew: $1.59 each
Ike Behar for NM: $1.00

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Timing is everything. After an extremely long dry-spell, I actually found something worth purchasing and bragging about. I convinced my fiance to go with me to a thrift that's a little ways away, but usually worth the trip. She was bugging me to hurry up because she was hungry and we didn't want to hit traffic on the way home. I said "Ok, 5 more minutes". As I'm heading back to the men's section to do a double check, I see a new rack that had been rolled out from the back. Right on the end was a suit. I looked at it from the front and knew that "Hand tailored in Italy" tag in non-script text. Double checked on the inside of the jacket - sure enough, it was a pretty recent Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece. Made by Isaia. Gorgeous charcoal with blue pinstripes. 2 button front, single vent. My camera has been misplaced but I'll get a picture or two up shortly. 48L, so it'll be up for sale shortly.

Other not so exciting things, but couldn't pass them up for the price:

- Billks Khakis light blue L/S linen shirt
- NWT Vineyard Vines tie
- Filson plaid cotton button-down shirt

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lin
I too sometimes feel KC thrift stores suck, but just found a terrific size 40 black Armani Collezioni casual three-quarter coat, looks nearly new, in a sort of brushed microfiber, fully lined, stand collar, zip front. Having camera issues right now so can't post a pic, but searched online and haven't found anything like it. Afraid I can't tell you which KC thrift; Mainy might start going there.
don't worry, i already do go there
devil.gif
nataku nice find on the bb isaia suit... i have only found one of those ever, and it had a huge gash in the back
frown.gif

Hoofit

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece. Made by Isaia. Gorgeous charcoal with blue pinstripes. 2 button front, single vent. My camera has been misplaced but I'll get a picture or two up shortly. 48L, so it'll be up for sale shortly.

Pics please, I might be interested in a 48 L depending on measurements.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lin
Afraid I can't tell you which KC thrift; Mainy might start going there.

He already is.

Originally Posted by EBTX66
Over on AA they have a trad exchange forum that the guys use to sell each other stuff. Much of the stuff is thrifted and they just pass it along to one another real cheaply. There appears to be a gentleman's agreement not to list things for over $100. I often wish we had something like that: sort of like a dedicated "Small-Timers B&S Forum".

There's no real price limit, but most of the stuff is sold cheaply. Most Trad gear has a more limited market, anyway (eg, 3/2 Southwick tweeds).

I wonder if the thrift trading thread in B&S here could be used. I think it would make the thread a lot more active if actual cash was an option.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I wonder if the thrift trading thread in B&S here could be used. I think it would make the thread a lot more active if actual cash was an option.

I'd agree with that. Also it seems like some people aren't willing to make offers on things. The worst someone can tell you is no thanks.

I think the other thing people tend to miss even if something is thrifted, I think most of the guys on here do make a profit, albeit not a large one. In my case I use any money I do make to buy more stuff on here. And I also think most of the guys are doing it so the item will get into someones hands who will enjoy it. If you find a nice suit for $10, and sell it for $50-$60 shipped, by the time you factor in shipping costs and the paypal fees (not to mention time, gas etc.), you make enough money to justify buying that tie you saw posted on B&S.

GentlemanGeorge

Reaction score
Brand new, never worn (until today) vintage blue alligator Izod Lacoste cardigan: $6.
c2d461e3.jpg

Oh, and a nice belt hanger and a "Puma Steer" Harness House toiletries bag. (I know that's not terribly exciting, but I was happy to get them. BTW, that is a Tumi Alpha large computer brief in the background that I got for $16 last week.)
8fbaa00a.jpg

rayxlui

Reaction score
The thrift gods have been nice. Picked up an Oxxford suit, perfect condition, as well as an older Canali blazer. Also a pair of Persol, Gucci and Fendi's sunglasses, as well as a sweet Balmain tie. Not bad for $60.

Passed on a newer Canali, it seemed orphaned and a lot of J. Crew, Banana, Talbott, Boss, Floresheims, Allen Edmonds, Nettletons and Paul & Shark. Would they be worth picking up?

GentlemanGeorge

Reaction score
Did I tell you I got that tumi for $16? I was trying to soft haggle the
manager, pointing out a tiny scuff, and she said: "it's worth four times that much."

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EBTX66;3125809to sell and I just want to make my money back but most of it is stuff like Armani said:
Vintage Armani, Dior, YSL, Coach,... items are of great quality.
You should post them and see if there is any interest. If not, you would have only wasted 10 minutes of your time.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked up a made for Saks Luciano Barbera window pane suit.

My alterations guy said they appear from the lining to be made by Pal Zileri and are fully canvassed.

I heard they sold for USD3K originally. When was that?

My price AUD30 and AUD 150 to have it altered from Italian54 to a US45.

I thought I done good....

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple shots of the GF suit:

DSC09778.jpg

DSC09779.jpg

Pattern close-up:

DSC09781.jpg

Very nice!! Never knew they were made by Isaia... awesome!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads