1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

新年好

2. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Hello everyone, first time poster. Interestingly enough, when I was in college I did quite a bit of flipping, but more so video games. At this point in my life, I've been thrifting a standard circuit of 5ish stores in Rochester, NY for suits/sport jackets/trousers/shirts for a couple years (and love it!!!), but never focused on brand, only on fit and style. As of late, I stumbled across this thread, and realized good god, I love thrifting, I love nice clothes, and I love making a few dollars here and there...why have I never thought of flipping men's clothing?!?! As mentioned, I've never focused on brand, so I spent a few evenings this week reading the first couple hundred pages of this thread and made myself a lengthy spreadsheet of high quality suit/sj brands, trousers, shirts, ties, and today took a trip to my favorite thrift store. What I quickly discovered is I have a heck of a lot more questions than I do answers, with my small amount of research. The good news is, I have a coupon for $4 off a $15 purchase if I go back in the next 10 days, so, if any of these are worth a flip attempt I'll go back tomorrow! Thanks for your help, I'm excited to have "discovered" this new hobby which pulls in a number of my interests!

Here's a few questions to the various flippers here, pics are spoilered in the event that you're looking for more detail:

1.) Picked up a BB tie, $1.98, great condition other than some moron took a black marker over the label. Would this type of marking kill any re-sale value? If so, no biggie, I'll keep it for myself. If not, and I can make a potential $5, I'm off and running.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2.) When attempting to increase my skill at the thrifters touch, the mythical skill I've read about in this thread I was feeling through the belts. This was one of the nicest looking and feeling belts, when I flipped this metal front over it said made in Italy. Anyone recognize the emblem on this buckle or is it standard mall junk? Did not buy.

[​IMG]

3.) Talk to me about the ability to clean up a pair of shoes for re-sale. There were a couple pair of Florsheim but they were pretty well beat. This pair was the least beat. Is this type of wear cleanable at home for an ebay resale? The left shoe toe also seemed "dented." It also bothered me these said Made in India. Are Florsheim made in different locations? Did not buy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4.) I know Jos A Banks is not a top of the line suit. However, they are a local brand and this seemed really neat. 100% Camel hair and the I loved the inner lining with the little camels. Does "Signature line" add any value? At $7ish dollars I was really close to picking this one up as my first attempted flip. Figured I'd get some feedback from you guys, not sure if Camel Hair is a bit of a niche preference and thus less chance of selling. The jacket itself seemed like it had never been worn.

[​IMG]

5.) The brand "Southwick" had made my sport jacket list as high-quality. Are there different Southwicks? This one says Peller and Mure below on the tag and seemed pretty mediocre in terms of quality. I did a quick ebay search and this didn't look overly valuable or popular. It's more brownish than the pic shows. Did not buy, was $7ish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6.) First off, vocab check, does orphan mean suit jacket missing the pants? Would the subtle pattern make this a potential sport coat, or definitely an orphan? Vestimenta - The quality of this seemed like one of the best on the rack. The 2nd pic shows a bit more of a subtle pattern. When I did a quick ebay or google search it often showed Vestimenta Armani or something like that. Is there any value to a solo vestimenta like this? Did not buy, price was $7.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

^^^belt buckle is Pierre Cardin.

4. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

1 person likes this.
  5. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

@jgill79: Thanks, I've included it below!

1 person likes this.
  6. chiron

chiron Senior member

[​IMG]

Small sample ...na for now .

3 people like this.
  7. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Found an orphan with fish mouth lapels, but I couldn't leave it behind.

[​IMG]

WHAMMY:

[​IMG]

I'll be going back tomorrow morning to see about the pants.

8. Towers

Towers Senior member

dem boots :drool:

2 people like this.
  9. bstahler

bstahler Member

No pics yet but thrifted a trombone today...

3 people like this.
  10. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Wearing. At least that's what I plan on doing with my one-button blazer tonight.

Tuxedo and dinner jackets are for formal occasions. There are many one-button blazers that are not either of those. Like yours for instance.

Could be wrong, but that's a pretty much impossible re-weave, and in an incredible obvious area. You wouldn't get $10 for that on the bay.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Ok. Ok. Sorry guys. I played a joke on y'all.

The shells all belong to Spoo. I just did some polishing for him. The AE Macneils and the third pair of loafers C&J, will be available I believe. The rest are NOT up for grabs currently.

Thanks for the dozens of PMs though. Joke's on me I guess. lol. Makes me feel like I did a good job though.

Don't forget to watch the before and after slideshow linked above.

4 people like this.
  12. Timmah

Timmah Senior member

[​IMG]

Wow...

13. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Oh, you did a good job alright...

14. cdgreg

cdgreg Senior member

Capnwes, jgill97 and HansderHund - Thanks for the info on getting started. Sorry to break all the unwritten rules with my first post, gotta start somewhere [​IMG]

15. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

Pretty much everybody does. That's why they're unwritten!

16. Magician Shaun

Magician Shaun Well-Known Member

Ok been a bit since I had anything brag worthy but I did have a few nice days recently. I got a Paul Smith, Gieves and Hawkes DB Navy Blazer, new Canali B/W Hounds tooth, 2 Hickey Freeman Bespoke Loro Piana super 120's suits, 2 Burberrys Suits, 2 Brioni ties, 1 Borrelli Napoli Tie, a Paul Stewart tie NWT, Robert Talbot Best of Class for Nordstroms NWT, 2 pairs of True Religion Jeans, Women's Orvis Made in USA, and last but not least: I almost never KOP Armani, but when I do:
    [​IMG]

Number 20 of 100. It's my size and appears to be half canvassed. Does anyone know anything about these "Limited Edition" Armani Collezioni Jackets?

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  17. Towers

Towers Senior member

The slideshow wouldn't load for me, do you have a shell polishing guide?

Stuff from today;

Still has the QC inspection sticker on it. Would probably keep it if I didn't just stock up on sweaters from spoo;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Minty BB makers wing collar shirt, MOP buttons and stud holes;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Collezioni is good. Does okay on that other place.

19. Reigningchamp

Reigningchamp Senior member

Has anyone ever heard of Keith Highlander shoes?

20. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Yeah, he knows that. He was talking about the limited edish Collezioni.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.