• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Attention:

Didn't someone recently post an early edition of Emily Post's Etiquette? If it was you and you still have it, PM me, please.

Shiny

Reaction score

Orvis, leather
LL
LL
LL
LL
You're looking at an easy $250 right there. Chaching!!!

acosbysweater

Reaction score
Can we consider this officially nominated for the 2013 THRIFTY AWARDS? Cap'n, great presentation as always.

Cross-posting from the Vintage Thread

Found a tuxedo jacket the other night. It was custom made by Leopald Morse in Boston Massachusetts. It is dated 1/14/1941 and was made for Mayor Maurice Tobin, mayor of Boston from 1938-1945. I found a photo online of Tobin along side of Massachusetts Attorney General Paul Denver at the Democratic Inaugural Dinner. Paul Denver was in office from 1935-1941. By cross referencing the data with the years of the Democratic Inaugural Dinners for FDR, (1933, 1937 and 1941), there is only one Inaugural Dinner where these two men would have been seen together while holding those offices. Just so happens, the Inaugural dinner is held January 19th (my birthday) the night before the actual Inauguration. While I can't say definitively, it would appear that the tuxedo I found was made for this event and delivered to Mayor Tobin just 5 days earlier. Wouldn't you wear your new suit to the big event? I would.

I have tracked down the owner of a 1941 Inaugural Dinner Menu and Seating Chart and am awaiting a response to see if I can place these two at the table.

Tobin is on the left.

brianG

Reaction score
Was sad to let some of these blazers go, but they were purchased in poor condition only for their buttons. The golden fleece was the hardest to do.

The harvest.....

Golden Fleece BB Makers

Wimbledon Order of the Garter
How do these buttons do for flipping? I stupidly bought a Paul Stuart navy blazer with "gold" (probably brass) Waterbury buttons, but it had damage on the back I missed in store. Will I be able to make my $17.50 back by selling the buttons? They are in good condition, and are a full set. The logo is the Paul Stuart sitting man.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
How do these buttons do for flipping? I stupidly bought a Paul Stuart navy blazer with "gold" (probably brass) Waterbury buttons, but it had damage on the back I missed in store. Will I be able to make my $17.50 back by selling the buttons? They are in good condition, and are a full set. The logo is the Paul Stuart sitting man.
You have to put in a little effort if you want to make it around here....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-18-P...188?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6eb73404

Only current listing I see and none sold recently. This is for 18 and I'm guessing you have 10 (2 large and 8 small)??

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big shout out to CesarC for a proxy on some pocket squares. The guy saw my post lamenting my current rotation and thought of me a month later when he came across some winners. That, my friends, is what SF is about!

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Lord almighty Wes. THe Thrift Shoe Czar. Question for you below.

Ducking in for an update. I've been crazee lately, trip to Austin on business last week, was able to hit 7-8 thrifts off hours like this thing:

Where I found my first Alan McAfee's, in my size.

Thanks CesarC, that Canali came back nice from the tailor. Me on the job in the McAfee's but forgot to pack my damn pocket squares.

Also am getting into vinyl now because of you freaks. Been picky picky picky at thrift stores, the sifting is not getting me much, ha. Except for some extraordinary classical recordings -- am astounded at the 4-record boxed sets on good labels (Angel, Deutsche Grammophon, etc) shrinkwrapped for a buck. That's where the value is in thrift store vinyl up here at least it seems. A lot of Mitch Miller and Ray Conniff and Montovani Orchestra and Barry Manilow to sift through. Someone crapped a ton of Herb Alpert, Al Hirt and Greek folk LPs in all our SAs and Goodwills up here. But a few things can be grabbed among the dreck.

However this place was like a shot of music heroin, OMG it basically bled me of the few Spoo profits I had sitting around ha burning money on Jimmy Smith and Ramsey Lewis and all manner of vintage keyboad jazz and soul-jazz and O yeah a couple PRestige-Era Miles records I adore. And blues, too.

Public service announcement: Hug your hounds, if you have one, and your dad, if he's still around. Lost my dad yesterday, and one of our hounds, Milo, this morning. Both were quite elderly and in failing health, these were not surprises or tragedies...and I am not looking for a big string of sympathy replies or PMs. (Facebook and coworkers and fellow churchgoers are overflowing...and I have a massive extended family. Much support & commiserating. I'm all set. Like, really.) Just reminding you gents, know what you've got before it's gone. Don't get caught up on your own personal treadmills.

So Wes (or anyone else who chooses to chime in), getting to you: where would you rank Wright's Archpreservers on the quality spectrum? I picked these up because they were in really nice shape and were 9Cs, which when I find them typically turn out to be my perfect size for long tromps around trade shows, which my Fitbit says sometimes add up to 10+ miles of walking in a day. Just curious. The soles are super thick but not all leather inside (canvas in the front, leather in the back).

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The older stuff is upper mid range in my opinion. US union made as you can see from the Rutgers stamp. The leather is generally not as plasticky as Dexter or Mason, and the stitching on the soles is typically inset a little deeper for longer wear. Not quite on the same level as old Florsheim or Hanover, perhaps just below Allen Edmonds. They are still a product of the good ole days, and definitely built to last. They remind me a lot of the Alden Foot Balance line in construction.

I've even seen a pair in Shell Cordovan and some made in England pairs before, not sure who made them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads