• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM-H

Reaction score
None taken. No offence, but how the **** do you tell the difference? This suit is better constructed than anything I've found except the Barbera sport coat I found a few weeks ago. How is this crap? What makes other stuff better? From what I've seen, the stuff people rave about in this forum is poorly constructed crap that sells for $20 on EBay.
Sounds like you're kinda taking offense...

Last edited:

GM-H

Reaction score
Pretty ****** day. Had to pass on like 4 RLPL polos in my size, they were absolutely shredded.

NWT VV polo

Pretty sure PS jeans is **** but it was cheap. available

Rando tie available

Edit: Forgot this. This my be the most random thing i have ever picked up at a thrift store.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None taken. No offence, but how the **** do you tell the difference? This suit is better constructed than anything I've found except the Barbera sport coat I found a few weeks ago. How is this crap? What makes other stuff better? From what I've seen, the stuff people rave about in this forum is poorly constructed crap that sells for $20 on EBay.

Sounds like you're kinda taking offence...

You should've seen the three paragraphs I deleted.

Now how about a constructive response?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Tom James stuff I usually find are outdated and the fabric feels cheap unless they are made with LP or HS. I actually have a custom made TJ made with HS brown birds eye SC that I got from Wes a year ago. That is the ****! Too bad, it doesn't fit me...
ffffuuuu.gif

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
WTF is up with everyone saying on ebay on ebay on ebay. Either say it's available or dont say anything. No one cares if it's on ebay or not. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.
ffffuuuu.gif

My point is that if you want to flip it but brag about it here, put not available and go sell it on ebay. No one is going to blame you for being a capitalist (well maybe some in here will actually). If you want to be part of the thread community, be open to trades, etc, then just put available or say nothing. if someone is interested they will contact you and you can figure the details out via PM.

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Constructive: It's important to not let yourself get angry over things people say on the internet, whether true or not. For me, I see Tom James suits like that all the time, so they don't seem like anything special, but then again, I just picked up a cheap tailor job that is very well made for what it is.

There are some people that put me in a rage with their responses on this forum. I just ignore them and take the good advice as it comes.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

WTF is up with everyone saying on ebay on ebay on ebay. Either say it's available or dont say anything. No one cares if it's on ebay or not. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood. :fu:

Wasn't going to say anything, but I've kinda been thinking the same. Spare us the eBay status updates.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Constructive: It's important to not let yourself get angry over things people say on the internet, whether true or not. For me, I see Tom James suits like that all the time, so they don't seem like anything special, but then again, I just picked up a cheap tailor job that is very well made for what it is.

There are some people that put me in a rage with their responses on this forum. I just ignore them and take the good advice as it comes.

Really I'm angry at myself that I've been hanging in this thread/forum for over a year and still can't make heads or tails out of what quantifies a quality suit or sport coat.

Everything else is straightforward, but suits are a mystery to me.

That being said, I found three AWESOME bike jerseys and an LL Bean down jacket today. I know what these are worth to me...

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If your cobbler can stretch two sizes, say, a size 8 into a size 10, as you say that your cobbler can....You see, the inferior materials of which my shoes are made precludes the streeeeetchiiiiing that is possible with Elasti-Leather. And so I do something really silly.

I buy shoes that fit.

Perhaps, someday, I will have a cobbler as gifted as yours and enough coin to afford Elasti-Leather so that the size of shoes that I buy becomes inconsequential. Until then, I'll stick with the old-fashioned method that has served me well for so very long and pay careful attention to size when I purchase shoes. I guess that's just me.

:laugh: pnut, calm down, bro... Why are you such a grouch, man?

As I know from your more enlightening newspaper posts, you're a close reader; you know I never claimed a shoe could be stretched two sizes; I said shoes can be stretched. And they can.

I only mentioned it because I was slightly amazed with the results myself, having first tested it out on a pair of high top side zip sneakers, then on a pair of mid-range boots, and finally on a true blue expensive pair I really, out of necessity, couldn't afford to mess up.

Anyway, I'm all for careful attention, but that only takes you so far if (a) you're buying online (either to save money, or because the things you want aren't sold locally, or in my case, both) and (b) you happen to fall between those unforgiving European sizes, where one size is too snug to tight, and the next up, you're swimming in.

I come across many near-misses in thrift stores, too, and assume others do as well. In that case, too, I'd say it's worth asking your local shoe care professional whether a $12 stretch job might be in order, rather than chalking up an imperfect fit to some sort of moral failure or whatnot...

That is all. I didn't suspect this would be a controversial point, but then, this is the thrift thread. :foo:

Last edited:

LeSacre

Reaction score
WTF is up with everyone saying on ebay on ebay on ebay. Either say it's available or dont say anything. No one cares if it's on ebay or not. Maybe I'm just in a bad mood.
ffffuuuu.gif
Woah.. sorry didn't mean to step on any toes. Merely saying that so if when someone wants it but I have already sold it, they know why. Of course I'm not going to keep anything that's not my size and will want to make a profit off of it.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really I'm angry at myself that I've been hanging in this thread/forum for over a year and still can't make heads or tails out of what quantifies a quality suit or sport coat.

Everything else is straightforward, but suits are a mystery to me.

That being said, I found three AWESOME bike jerseys and an LL Bean down jacket today. I know what these are worth to me...
i for one am glad that you balance the so called thrift thread ticket. most people can id suits alright but I can't think of anyone on here besides you that knows the value of bike jerseys and other more sportswear type stuff. I would even call you the resident expert on those categories. once you figure out suiting and other more formal things (and you will) you will be an unstoppable force in the thread, just give it some time.

chiron

Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif

My point is that if you want to flip it but brag about it here, put not available and go sell it on ebay. No one is going to blame you for being a capitalist (well maybe some in here will actually). If you want to be part of the thread community, be open to trades, etc, then just put available or say nothing. if someone is interested they will contact you and you can figure the details out via PM.
+2

Is NA ok as well?

Just checking...
bounce2.gif

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: Its not stepping on toes, just more common sense within this thread if you've read though it at all. No one takes offense if an item is already sold and no one really cares why. This is the bragging thread, NOT the buying/selling thread. You come here to brag and if someone likes your brag they will contact you unless you put NA

Quote: Only because you asked nice
thumbs-up.gif

Last edited:

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
I can't speak to the quality, but the styling is way off. The button stance is appallingly low and it appears to have jetted pockets which may be a dealbreaker for some. And your OP kind of read like an eBay ad, which may have been a turn off - good pieces in this thread tend to speak for themselves. Just my $.02, as I'd consider about 5% of the suits posted here to be drool worthy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics