• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some highlights from this weekend, plus a few other recent highlights.

Incotex and Nudie jeans, 36 x 34. Jeans have been at the top of my want list, so I was thrilled to find these for dirt cheap in my size:

Ferragamo Tramezzas, 10 D, great condition (available):

Oxxford, 1970s, wool, 48 R:

3/2 madras sack, 1960s I think, 38 R (available):

Polo Ralph Lauren tweed suit, 40 R. From Bloomingdale's between 1969 and 1975, the early years of Polo RL. Bloomingdales was the home of the first Ralph Lauren boutique. Ticket pocket, side vents, great condition (available):

Bruno Magli nappa leather jacket, made in Italy, 42. Fits great and is very soft:

Polo Ralph Lauren wool knit tie, navy and tan houndstooth:

Ferragamo. I found this same pattern a year ago but in navy. Love the green:

Hermes:

Turnbull and Asser pocket square, Paul Stuart ascot:

Anyone ever seen one of these? Is it anything? Omega tie. Has some Hermes and Ferragamo–esque details (11–5 twill pattern, thread loops) but the keeper and the generic-looking care and materials tag don't ring any bells:

colored etching, "Racing," I think an early 1900s reprint of an 1820 original:

male and female clothing forms. Picked up one of these:

Also picked up a great-fitting Southwick suit that's at the tailor for some minor adjustments.

Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo Ralph Lauren tweed suit, 40 R. From Bloomingdale's between 1969 and 1975, the early years of Polo RL. Bloomingdales was the home of the first Ralph Lauren boutique. Ticket pocket, side vents, great condition (available):

that thing is the ****!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
available?

zeek4life

Reaction score
Just found this site and this thread. My wife is going to freak. I live for this stuff lol

jcubzzz

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers trench coat. No tag but probably 42-44R. Most likely available.

Allen Edmonds newport 11.5 D. Some chipping on the toes but overall great condition. Available.

Canali super 120's trousers, pleated and cuffed, measures 34x30 most likely available.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At the thrift today, thumbing through the racks and come across a gang of eBay fodder, all in XL. The bottom one is especially ghastly, an all silk limited edition number:

But there was also this guy, which is a very nice shirt and fits well, but is peach with black and red stripes. :fu:

I don't really want to go through the hassle of selling this on the 'bay, so probably will be getting at one of you to take them off my hands.

zeek4life

Reaction score
Found 2 pairs of True Religion jeans today, never sure if it's the real thing maybe that's why I'm the sucker that bought them

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At the thrift today, thumbing through the racks and come across a gang of eBay fodder, all in XL. The bottom one is especially ghastly, an all silk limited edition number:

But there was also this guy, which is a very nice shirt and fits well, but is peach with black and red stripes. :fu:

I don't really want to go through the hassle of selling this on the 'bay, so probably will be getting at one of you to take them off my hands.

send them to me

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spoiler those things.... Argh my eyes!
lol8[1].gif

******* hideous.

Last edited:

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I made this spreadsheet to use for myself, but it might come in handy for some of you as well. Depending on what I end up coming home with, I'm going to have it cleaned at whichever local cleaner has the best price on that type of garment. It will factor in any % off and $ off coupons you have for the various cleaners as well. Just swap out my local cleaners' names with yours and update the pricing matrix.
[ATTACHMENT=4047]Dry Cleaners V1.xlsx (17k. xlsx file)[/ATTACHMENT]

This is a nice spreadsheet for u since u seem to utilize it! I personally do not take cost of dry cleaning into factor when I need to take my clothes in. Only because my clothes can be worth a costly amount of money, and I do not wish to have burn marks, flat lapels and stiff flat ties returned to me. I usually launder all my own shirts and iron / press them. And I steam majority of jackets if/when needed (not very often). My pants I take in when needed to a high end local dry cleaners (I take all clothing items here when needed) that uses no harsh chemicals and steam rolls lapels. Like I stated, it's not a regular visit for me, but when time comes, I do not mind spending the extra cash.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To think I would consider using Robert Graham shirts to mop up my *****. That is pretty much all they good for.

On a related subject to polishing the pole....

I do wonder the % of folks that (at least once in their lives) found an alternative use for socks not involving feet and shoes? 50%, 60%, 99.9% ?

Would make you think if you find a pair in thrift store :uhoh:

Last edited:

Randy

Reaction score
To think I would consider using Robert Graham shirts to mop up my *****. That is pretty much all they good for.

I do wonder the % of folks that (at least once in their lives) found an alternative use for socks not involving feet and shoes? 50%, 60%, 99.9% ?

Would make you think if you find a pair in thrift store
uhoh.gif

Correct, every RG shirt should be a skeet blanket.

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
uhoh.gif

I recall an old football teammate of mine mentioning something about microwaving his socks so they'd be warm before using them for that purpose.
eek.gif

I'm pretty sure we should call all RG's that from here on out.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a nice spreadsheet for u since u seem to utilize it! I personally do not take cost of dry cleaning into factor when I need to take my clothes in. Only because my clothes can be worth a costly amount of money, and I do not wish to have burn marks, flat lapels and stiff flat ties returned to me. I usually launder all my own shirts and iron / press them. And I steam majority of jackets if/when needed (not very often). My pants I take in when needed to a high end local dry cleaners (I take all clothing items here when needed) that uses no harsh chemicals and steam rolls lapels. Like I stated, it's not a regular visit for me, but when time comes, I do not mind spending the extra cash.

I have a particular cleaner that I use for my pants/suits, but when it comes to shirts I also launder mine at home. The sheet is used for thrifted items, although I have used all of the cleaners included in the spreadsheet with no issue. If I thrift 8 jackets and can save 25 bucks by taking them to a certain cleaner, I'll go there. I have another spreadsheet that tracks where I bought the item, on what day, at what time, cost, etc. perhaps it is a bit pedantic, but data interests me.

highlifeman

Reaction score
As usual, you guys have been picking up some great stuff!! Here are my pickups from a few stops over the weekend...

Pendleton Blackwatch SC, 42R, keeping for now...

BB 2012 NWT tan suit orphan, Madison, 40R , 100% cotton...assume pants got
lost or damaged so the BB store donated it...

BB mainline w/ Loro Piano SC POW/glenplaid, 39R

Dont always pick up this type of stuff, was priced fairly high for a thrift but figured I could still make
a few bucks as a flip, Armani Collezione wool/mohair suit, 43L, fairly recent as far as I can tell...

RRL Flannel Shirt, L , keeping

Ferragamo Tie w/ dolphins, has a slight discoloration that is barely visible, keeping for now I think as trying
to flip with the issue is more hassle than its worth...like the pattern too..

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would make you think if you find a pair in thrift store
uhoh.gif

You buy socks at thrift stores?
puzzled.gif

I recall an old football teammate of mine mentioning something about microwaving his socks so they'd be warm before using them for that purpose.
eek.gif

I'm pretty sure we should call all RG's that from here on out.

lol8[1].gif
Seconded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads