• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a nice navy Brooks Brothers Irish Linen shirt today. Anybody want it? Size M.

bb12.jpg

bb23.jpg

mistermidwester

Reaction score
Couple quick questions...

One: Picked up a nice pair of J Crew wingtip boots in dark brown. All leather, leather soles with stacked leather heel. They need a little love but the leather is nice quality and I think they'll look amazing once I've worked with them (sorry about the crap picture). Only details inside are "Made in Italy." Anyone knows who might make them?

Second: I know Tommy Hilfiger gets no love, but I found this really rad black watch tartan jacket a couple days back. Feels quality and is even made in the US and half-canvassed. I'm not going around picking up everything TH that I see, but is it possible that some of his stuff is quality?

Stewie

Reaction score

Yeah, I can make out a C in the center of the bottom line, but that's about it.

You said Goodyear heels right? Older heels, so that maker is probably not around anymore anyways, so gonna be hard to identify. If i see a pick of the heel, probably can get a better idea.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this guy for $1 at an estate sale. Perfect for when I have to accompany my wife to Northwestern University gatherings.

7619043434_0460716407.jpg

Last edited:

Jpmorris

Reaction score

mistermidwester

Reaction score

It's marked 42R, but I can feel a couple inches of fabric in the sleeves. I'm going to take it to my tailor next week to see if I can make it work for myself, but if not... it will be available.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Second: I know Tommy Hilfiger gets no love, but I found this really rad black watch tartan jacket a couple days back. Feels quality and is even made in the US and half-canvassed. I'm not going around picking up everything TH that I see, but is it possible that some of his stuff is quality?

Hartmarx made Tommy Hilfiger's suits/sport coats. I bought a blue pinstripe TH suit back in the day and I wore it for everything. I eventually wore a hole in the pant seems. It was at first my interview suit/events I need a suit for suit. Had it for 5 - 6 years for that. Then I got a job were I had to wear a suit everyday and I killed it because it was wore every week.

SO you could do a lot worse...I think the jacket looks cool.

Last edited:

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Made about 2 stops today with a friend since the entire city is one giant made of road construction this weekend. Passed on 3 XL Eton shirts that all needed a serious collar cleaning but found this

Tessuto Ermenegildo Zegna 3 button charcoal with blue pinstripes, European 52R (hanging on for the moment since it fits me but kind of not completely into the button stance)

Also picked up a Burberry London Kensington suit for ebay since it was cheap enough but the jacket is a 44R but the pants upon inspection seem to fit at about a 32 or so with only a few inches to let out. Any idea if these were sold as separates? Kind of a huge drop by they definitely match pattern and buttons and everything.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Made about 2 stops today with a friend since the entire city is one giant made of road construction this weekend. .

Tell me about it. What a mess! Can't wait till it's over with. I guess it's either winter or road construction season here in Minnesota, though.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suit is not a Zegna but Zegna cloth. Tag definitely not Zegna that I know. Style wise, 10 years plus hence reason why you having an issue with the button stance. Bad buy? Not necessarily, try it on and see how it looks. Take some pics of you wearing it.

Made about 2 stops today with a friend since the entire city is one giant made of road construction this weekend. Passed on 3 XL Eton shirts that all needed a serious collar cleaning but found this
Tessuto Ermenegildo Zegna 3 button charcoal with blue pinstripes, European 52R (hanging on for the moment since it fits me but kind of not completely into the button stance)

Also picked up a Burberry London Kensington suit for ebay since it was cheap enough but the jacket is a 44R but the pants upon inspection seem to fit at about a 32 or so with only a few inches to let out. Any idea if these were sold as separates? Kind of a huge drop by they definitely match pattern and buttons and everything.

How did the Burberry get the huge drop? Simple logical solution that I discovered by myself one day.

Once upon a time ago I had a top heavy physique so needed a 48L US size jacket and 34" pants. How did I ever fit suits?

Very simple. Go along the suit rack, pick the 48L suit, go along the rack again and pull the same suit in size 42L. Take both suits for try on. In try on station, swap the pants. Now have a suit with a huge drop and calmly go to cashier to pay for it.

Last edited:

ilikethelights

Reaction score

Suit is not a Zegna but Zegna cloth. Tag definitely not Zegna that I know. Style wise, 10 years plus hence reason why you having an issue with the button stance. Bad buy? Not necessarily, try it on and see how it looks. Take some pics of you wearing it.
How did the Burberry get the huge drop? Simple logical solution that I discovered by myself one day.
Once upon a time ago I had a top heavy physique so needed a 48L US size jacket and 34" pants. How did I ever fit suits? Very simple. Go along the suit rack, pick the 48L suit, go along the rack again and pull the same suit in size 42L. Take both suits for try on. In try on station, swap the pants. Now have a suit with a huge drop and calmly go to cashier to pay for it.

Ah that would explain why the tag lacked much info at all. So a pair of bad buys today. Oh well, you learn.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics or it didn't happen, I know. So I will follow up with pics tomorrow.

But I just can't wait, because I got me one of these:

Wife's been after me for one. Literally sitting there next to the register. Wasn't cheap, but it will pay dividends in other ways.

Also, my local was having half price day. 5 pairs of Zanella platinum unicorns (in various state of disrepair / stanky-ness; hope dry cleaning will address) plus 1 Talbott square in blue paisley dot (hand rolled edges) plus 2 wool knit ties plus 1 Scabal pret a porter cotton seersucker-esque stripe jacket (stained to hell, but for what I paid, worth the risk if my dry cleaner can get it clean) plus 1 J Crew unstructured linen blazer plus various other home goods-y things.

Oh, and bigger guys (XXL) who like Vineyard Vines: Get at me. I've got a nice blue/white "whale" shirt (that's what the shirt tag says it's called, not some snarky reference to the size)

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah that would explain why the tag lacked much info at all. So a pair of bad buys today. Oh well, you learn.

Burberry London not too bad a buy though. Only issue is the fellow that owned it probably switched pants on a smaller suit. With an imposing drop like that, my only suggestion is to put on eBay and see if there exists a fellow that is a serious weight lifter whom emphasizes on physique rather than strength. There are bound to be a few guys out there with big chests, small waists, and stick thin legs.

I think you will sell it, certainly you will get double the money you paid minimally. $70 - $100 an estimate here.

Not such a bad day after all....

Jpmorris

Reaction score
Ok, so first pair of Aldens today. I was stoked, as they are in pretty good shape pre-renovateur. BUT after I asked about people getting **** from your cart the other day, I see this motherfucker handling them, but luckily my little brother was with the cart and he told him to leave my shoes alone lol. Pics later, but a ****** day as a whole, one of the worst so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads