• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchytoo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
also got these

french made Peugeot with Brooks

Nishiki olympic with Concor San marco

and gonna turn this...

into this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CK

Yes, I've quietly coveted all the bikes you've found. Wish I could run across something like that around here.

Last edited:

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** me running. I used to be an avid baseball card collector, and AS SOON as I saw the subject of the post I knew it was going to be a Honus Wagner card, and I predicted that it would be a better graded version of the T206 card - the single most valuable baseball card ever sold...something my APPARENTLY STILL-10-YEAR-OLD BRAIN RECALLED WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP, WTF?!? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T206_Honus_Wagner). I'm surprised the article doesn't mention the T206 as I believe that it's still the single most valuable card ever sold (last sold for $2.8 million according to Wikipedia).

Here's a story to keep you motivated. A guy in a nearby town discovered what is being called the most valuable baseball card find of all time. His late aunt had a box of pristine cards from 1910 in her attic. Honus Wagner, Cy Young, Ty Cobb and others. Expected auction price: $3M+.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

http://www.toledoblade.com/sports/2...lds-rare-stash-of-vintage-baseball-cards.html

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's a story to keep you motivated. A guy in a nearby town discovered what is being called the most valuable baseball card find of all time. His late aunt had a box of pristine cards from 1910 in her attic. Honus Wagner, Cy Young, Ty Cobb and others. Expected auction price: $3M+. :slayer:
http://www.toledoblade.com/sports/2...lds-rare-stash-of-vintage-baseball-cards.html

Saw that..they are saying they are the best examples of this series of card they've ever seen.

Next time I'm up that way Ace we need to hit some thrifts. There's a GW is Toledo my son always finds cool toys at.

Last edited:

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
And to think all our grandchildren have to look forward to is finding a holographic charizard....

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha, screw you, I still have my MULTIPLE Ken Griffey Jr, Mark McGuire, and Sammy Sosa rookie cards....

too bad they all did roids...and too bad they produced like 6 billion baseball cards during the late 80s-early 90s, thus devaluing everything for that entire decade.
frown.gif

And to think all our grandchildren have to look forward to is finding a holographic charizard....

Last edited:

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saw that..they are saying they are the best examples of this series of card they've ever seen.
Next time I'm up that way Ace we need to hit some thrifts. There's a GW is Toledo my son always finds cool toys at.

Definitely. Also, i maybe able to help you out with a decent turntable as I have a few that aren't being used.

LooknGr8

Reaction score

Here's a story to keep you motivated. A guy in a nearby town discovered what is being called the most valuable baseball card find of all time. His late aunt had a box of pristine cards from 1910 in her attic. Honus Wagner, Cy Young, Ty Cobb and others. Expected auction price: $3M+. :slayer:

Nearby town? I grew up in archbold (live in NH now) next door to defiance...BLack Swamp territory. Where are you?

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
haha, screw you, I still have my MULTIPLE Ken Griffey Jr. and Mark McGuire rookie cards....

too bad they all did roids...and too bad they produced like 6 billion baseball cards during the early 90s, thus devaluing everything for that entire decade.
frown.gif
+1 Mcgwire was my fav player, I have a few hundred of his cards in mint worthless condition.
baldy[1].gif
Waiting for them to legalize roids so they will regain their value.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nearby town? I grew up in archbold (live in NH now) next door to defiance...BLack Swamp territory. Where are you?

Another NWO guy...nice :slayer:

LooknGr8

Reaction score
So I covered the baseball card market for a decade and actually edited 3 editions of one of the fat annual guides you buy at Barnes & Noble. I also wrote magazine columns about all sports cards & memorabilia (yeah, racing and golf in addition to the 4 major sports).

I can definitively say that the only cards that will ever be of value are pre-1980s. In mint-ish condition. They're rare in good condition because printing/cutting technology sucked back then so badly (so many cards have edge problems or printing defects or centering problems)...and after that, printing technology still sucked for a good 10 years because they were too cheap to upgrade their machines and by the time they figured it out...mass production killed the market. So many high quality specimens flooded the markets that marketing could only take them so far. Card grading gave the market a boost for a time, then short print rookies...but now it's like, say a Bryce Harper rookie is amazingly valuable until next year's Bryce Harper comes along. I mean, if you're sitting on LeBron rookies SELL NOW

the real value is 1860s- late 1950s cards. And some select beauties after that. Graded well in comparison to the other specimens of that particular issue. Other than that...barely worth the cardboard they're printed on (yeah there's exceptions: U find a shoebox full of 1975 Topps minis or some great regional issues or old Star basketball...yeah you've got something...) but for the most part, post-1980 is a bunch of dogs. And then you get something great like an '84 Fleer Update Clemens in gem mint condition...oh never mind. You get my point...

...some certified autograph issues in the last 20 years can bring some coin, especially if the athlete's now dead (REggie White? Etc.) but good luck plucking that out of a thrift store or attic.

I did a lot of through-the-mail collecting for the sport of it. Reggie white returned my card signed....but on the back. Never figured out why he did that. Either he thought his picture too pretty to deface, or he figured the flippers wouldn't get as much $$$ when they hucked it up on eBay.

Last edited:

aglass

Reaction score
So I covered the baseball card market for a decade and actually edited 3 editions of one of the fat annual guides you buy at Barnes & Noble. I also wrote magazine columns about all sports cards & memorabilia (yeah, racing and golf in addition to the 4 major sports).
I can definitively say that the only cards that will ever be of value are pre-1980s. In mint-ish condition. They're rare in good condition because printing/cutting technology sucked back then so badly (so many cards have edge problems or printing defects or centering problems)...and after that, printing technology still sucked for a good 10 years because they were too cheap to upgrade their machines and by the time they figured it out...mass production killed the market. So many high quality specimens flooded the markets that marketing could only take them so far. Card grading gave the market a boost for a time, then short print rookies...but now it's like, say a Bryce Harper rookie is amazingly valuable until next year's Bryce Harper comes along. I mean, if you're sitting on LeBron rookies SELL NOW
the real value is 1860s- late 1950s cards. And some select beauties after that. Graded well in comparison to the other specimens of that particular issue. Other than that...barely worth the cardboard they're printed on (yeah there's exceptions: U find a shoebox full of 1975 Topps minis or some great regional issues or old Star basketball...yeah you've got something...) but for the most part, post-1980 is a bunch of dogs. And then you get something great like an '84 Fleer Update Clemens in gem mint condition...oh never mind. You get my point...
...some certified autograph issues in the last 20 years can bring some coin, especially if the athlete's now dead (REggie White? Etc.) but good luck plucking that out of a thrift store or attic.
I did a lot of through-the-mail collecting for the sport of it. Reggie white returned my card signed....but on the back. Never figured out why he did that. Either he thought his picture too pretty to deface, or he figured the flippers wouldn't get as much $$$ when they hucked it up on eBay.

Not to sound impertinent, but how did you accrue so much knowledge about baseball cards? I mean, how did you end up in that field of expertise?

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1

Last fall I actually came across a yardsale where an old guy GAVE me over 500,000 baseball cards (all commons). I sold them in one lot for $120, not bad for a free find, but not even worth the paper they were printed on.

Oh yeah, I used the $120 towards a suspension work on my car, probably damaged hauling all of them.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SERIOUSLY? NO ONE?

Should I just PM teh guyz who are asking for XL shirts in their sig lines or is that too pushy?
I realize these aren't Brioni but they are still pretty sweet and

free.gif

A while back, some awesome guys on this forum helped me out in a time of need by sending me their
and wouldn't take a cent from me, even to cover shipping!

Well folks, it looks like I'll never
be able to pay it back so welcome to the ...

P7090378.jpg
P7090376.jpg
P7090375.jpg
Yeah, it's got a cracked button on the cuff but there's extras attached to the shirt tail!
P7090377.jpg
Looks like a pull but I think it's just the linen. A "knitpicker" should pull it back nicely.
P7090379.jpg
but-wait-theres-more-cat.jpg
P7090380.jpg
That's right...XL bay-bee! (Although this one might need to be measured. It seems a bit smaller than the Paul & Shark)
P7090381.jpg
It feels a bit heavier than a sport shirt but not quite full on flannel.
P7090382.jpg
Come a bit closer...
P7090384.jpg
If you are a demonstrably regular poster in this thread (based entirely on my personal opinion of you and your posts)
and you think either or both of these shirts are for you, send me a PM calling dibs.
Ask any questions about the shirts, which I'll answer to the best of my ability and then after I get your shipping address
images
51lUbBlcUFL._SX500_.jpg

Its-free.gif

free_you_pay_nada.png

libre.jpg

free-web-host.jpg

map2.gif
21717607.jpg
I do reserve the right to call it off on account of any douchebaggery that might take place and I reserve the right to judge said douchebaggery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads