Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I get mine from UHaul. A large box that'll hold about 40 pounds of mixed clothing--sport coats, suits, trousers, shirts--costs $3. Get the large size, not the extra large, if you plan to ship USPS, which has a huge dimension surcharge for the extra large size. You can PP a filled-to-the-brim large box for about $20.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

2. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Dig...I'd be willing to work something out for the P&S. I saw your original post but I think I lost it mentally in the gun debate.

I actually picked up two Zanella l/s shirts this w/e. They do seem to run a bit small.

3. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I did not collect them as a kid. A friend of mine converted me into a collector as an adult. I was a freelance writer and my wife told me that if I was going to waste so much time farting around with them (and doing autographs through the mail) I needed to monetize my habit somehow. I pitched a column to Tuff Stuff (which was a solid 2nd fiddle to Beckett at the time) about collecting stuff online (eBay was new, kids were getting ripped off left and right) and avoiding getting scammed...which grew into that plus a weekly column in Sports Collector's Digest about eBay auctions and eventually the book editing gig. I quit collecting after 4-5 years because it was a job and less interesting. I hung on to the gigs until 2011...but I quit freelancing to take a full time job because health insurance for self-employed individuals about bankrupted this family of 4. Otherwise I'd still be writing about baseball cards. Took the job in 2010 and hung on to the columns until I realized I was about to pass out from lack of sleep and finally gave up the ghost.

As for "how did I learn?" To write articles you have to interview experts. A lot of them. Imagine interviewing 500 people of Spoo-type expertise, except in baseball and football and basketball cards and autographs. Much more informative than formal education, ha. I also wrote a bunch of features for Antiques Roadshow Insider...but didn't learn enough to intelligently pick stuff at flea markets and make money, ha.

4. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Yeah, the bitter end of my wheeler dealing in sports cards was similar: Our yard sale, $100 for 40,000 cards to some flea market dealer who was going to bust them down into grab bags for kids. I still have my Redskins and Red Sox autographs in our attic. Sentimental stuff that maybe my kids or grandkids will find and be able to sell and buy a new set of tires or something...

5. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Yay for contributing to something other than that debate that shall never be mentioned again on this forum! Saw this at a local SA and had to snap a picture . Anyone want me to go back and pick it up? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

one condition...we have to ride together...

6. frenchytoo

frenchytoo Senior member

^^^ if under $100 go get it you should get $200-$300 on CL if you live in a fairly large city

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Had a decent day today. Could have been better. I basically got scraps. Got there and people checking out had bags full and saw a few guys wandering around with some very nice dress shirts. Just a bit too late... :brick:

Anyway, everything is available.

- Recent Samuelsohn brown glen plaid suit. 2 button. Model is Andrew. Single vent. Tagged 44 R / 38 waist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chest (pit to pit): 23 1/2"
    Shoulders (seam to seam): 20"
    Sleeves (shoulder seam to cuff): 25" with 1 1/4" to let out
    Length (TOC): 32 1/2"

Waist: 17 3/4" with 2 1/2" to let out
    Inseam: 29 1/2" with 1 1/4" to let out
    Cuffs: 1 1/2"

- Recent modern Faconnable navy pinstripe suit. Made in Italy.3 btn. Side vented w/ FF pants. 41 R

No pics unless requested. Will come tomorrow if needed, lighting here sucks for dark items.

- Oxxford cotton khaki herringbone trousers. 38 x 32. Triple pleated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- NWOT Rag & Bone plaid shirt. Slim fitting. 10 (!) button front. Metal buttons. Size M.

Measurements

Chest (pit to pit): 19 1/2"
    Sleeves (shoulder seam to cuff): 25 1/2"
    Length (TOC): 30 1/2"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- Vintage 40's-50's Penny's plaid shirt. Amazing condition. Marked Small (14 - 14 1/2)

[​IMG]

- Papo d' Anjo cotton polo. Portuguese children's designer but this is an actual men's piece. Well, it fits like one. Sz L, fits like a M.

[​IMG]

- Brioni S/S casual shirt. Sz M

[​IMG]

- Etro sweater for the wife

[​IMG]

Also, in the process of cleaning my closet I unearthed some thrift items I forgot about and need to unload. Two Timothy Everest Savile Row bespoke dress shirts. Left (single button cuffs) is 17 x 33.5 and Right (french cuffs) is 17 x 35. Both very recent (L is marked 2004). The one on the right is cut full.

[​IMG]

8. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

Quote:Thanks a ton! That is exacly what I was looking for. Glad you didn't hold the whole unmentionable issue against me :)

9. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Some of my best memories are of collecting cards as a kid. Going to card shops, working out trades with friends, finding the coveted rookie card in a pack, completing the set, checking price guides—so great.

I used to send cards to players for autographs all the time as a kid, always with a fan letter and a SASE. I always doubted that the autographs I got back were authentic though. How often do the players actually do the signing, do you think?

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Spoo sent me as a messenger to let you all know that he is on a short posting hiatus right now but has recently had an insane, multi-state haul that he will be posting when he gets back on here. Dior Homme, Zegna, Isaia, etc.

:bounce2: :lurk:

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

She was 16. And I was THIS close to posting that y'all were eejuts and were really thinking of Mia Sara, but then I looked it up and I was the eejut because I was confusing Labyrinth with Legend, which was just one year earlier and indisputably better (I mean Tim Curry versus David Bowie? Both charmingly androgynous, both British, but Curry has to win in a heartbeat.)

Bastardo! No wonder shit's been cleared out by me. I wonder if he'll grace US with his 20,000th post? Folks in other threads are making a HUGE deal about the anticipation.

EFF THEM, SPOO! POST HERE FIRST!
    [​IMG]

12. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

Lot of information at the following link;

http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSp...restige/Tommasini_Prestige_1_Introduction.htm

it always depends on what you want to do with them and the condition and components. Keep us posted; Nothing like the feel of the Italian lugged steel frames. It appears that it will all be Chinese carbon fiber pretty soon. . .

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Some ties I picked up over a few stores recently:

[​IMG]

Lands End Linen, 3 Talbotts, Banana Republic (ya, I know, but I needed to shore up my lighter colored ties), Ferragamo. If you can't make it out, the pattern is little wine goblets and bunches of grapes.

All but the last fill holes in my wardrobe nicely, and some have minor flaws, so they're for personal use. But the Ferragamo is going up on the B&S with the last batch of ties, hopefully tomorrow. A preview, if anyone is interested in grabbing one.

[​IMG]

Brooks Makers, Brooks Makers, Holland & Holland, Ferragamo, Vineyard Vines (made in USA), Ferragamo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Oh how I miss being a kid with my baseball cards

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting article about Salvation Army - Dont even want to think what goes into the "rag pile"
    http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...go_when_you_donate_them_.html?wpisrc=obinsite

Also been meaning to post about this nice J Press SC I picked up last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Anybody know about this maker? Quality is really fantastic. I can only find their site and the boutique looks ridiculous.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.